How LIGHT is Your 2-Door JL?

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Understand your concerns about weight. 2021 Willy's.Rear seat, spare tire delete.285/70/17 tires weighing less than stock mud terrains.Averaging 19 mpg daily driving.....couldn't be happier!

IMG_1245.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Understand your concerns about weight. 2021 Willy's.Rear seat, spare tire delete.285/70/17 tires weighing less than stock mud terrains.Averaging 19 mpg daily driving.....couldn't be happier!

Jeep Wrangler JL How LIGHT is Your 2-Door JL? IMG_1245.JPG
Nice configuration! I am running takeoff KM2s and rims from a Willys, each tire/rim combo weighing in at 71 lbs. Just curious what tires you have and how much they weigh.

Reactions: OBD

Bandit59

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
So....while I realize most of us typically add more accessories and more weight to their vehicles over time, I've always been in the opposite camp. Whether driving CJs, TJs or the JL, I've always enjoyed how nimble they are when stripped down to the bare necessities. Since purchasing my 2-door Sport in 2021, I've replaced the rear seat with a Tuffy security deck, and typically drive in safari mode with half doors. Only items heavier than stock, are the Willys rims/tires that I recently installed, so this is how I roll for most of the year:

Jeep Wrangler JL How LIGHT is Your 2-Door JL? IMG_1245.JPG

Just for fun, I decided to weigh my JL in this configuration (with a mostly full gas tank), and it came out to a lean 4,320 lbs. Just curious if there are others who also seek a lighter ride and how much their Jeeps weigh. Love to see the numbers and hear what you've done to scale down the weight. Appreciate the feedback and happy Jeepin'!
I have drive both 4xe and 3.6. The 4xe is heavy and drove heavy. 3.6 so much better

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
You are on a similar path to what I did with my JK. I really liked the porkchop and stitch concepts from Mopar. I started with a 13 JK sport manual trans, with no options. I dumped my back seat, carpet, steps, spare tire, fenders, front and rear bumpers. Most of the time I ran without doors or top as well. I even went with some of the lightest 35s I could find with very light 15 inch wheels.

FB_IMG_1479072538806.jpg

20170517_084330.jpg

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Had no idea that gas tanks were larger for 2018 models....was this only for the 2.0. or was it across all engines and trim levels?
IIRC: all 2018 2-doors got the larger tank. It was only around a gallon more.

Rammingspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 2 Door
Ours is a ‘21 stock 2-door Sport S hardtop with no upgrades other than Mopar running boards, Oracle headlights, receiver hitch, supplemental braking system & base plate for flat towing. Weighed 4031 lbs on Cat-Scale last week with full tank, maybe 60 lbs of junk in the back & no humans. I was surprised it was that low.

Last edited:

Z06Guy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Occupation
V.P. of Sales
I used 4 of the portable race scales to weigh our 2019 2 door Rubicon prior to loading on the trailer. It was 4,880# with a full tank of fuel.
2" lift with upgraded arms
35" tires on heavy dirty life wheels (5)
AEV rear bumper
Aluminum M.O.R.E. skid plate
Warn winch with synthetic rope.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
LOL...I'll respectfully disagree on that point, at least from a historical perspective. The GPW and MB were designed as light scout and troop carriers, and the theme for a light off road passenger/utility vehicle continued into civilian use, at least until the YJ series. One could argue this continued into the TJ series as well, but things started getting heavier as soon as the Rubicon trim was introduced...and of course it really went south when the 4-door JK was produced. With all the gratuitous electronic witchcraft, emissions, nanny systems and Federally-mandated crap, I will agree that the modern Wrangler is a behemoth in comparison. But...to each his/her own. For many, it's the best Jeep ever.
+1
The same year I bought my 2000 TJ, my mother bought a Audi TT turbo two-seat sports car, and was surprised when I pointed out the curb weight of hers was ~500 lbs more than the TJ. Sports cars were getting bloated even before Jeeps were.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Now I need to find a scale.

I'm fairly sure the winch, skids, larger tires, control arms, and sliders all added significantly to my Jeep's porkiness... But she's still fun to drive and I like the changes when I'm off road. 🤷‍♂️

I think we both need to go on a diet though. 🤔🤷‍♂️

😂

Sponsored

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
I think society as a whole should go on a diet....a lot of truly disgusting fat bodies out there!....

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Nice configuration! I am running takeoff KM2s and rims from a Willys, each tire/rim combo weighing in at 71 lbs. Just curious what tires you have and how much they weigh.
285 70 17 Firestone Destination AT2 ......They weigh a little over 42 lbs each.They drive great on road and didn't hurt my gas mileage.
Sponsored