flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
So....while I realize most of us typically add more accessories and more weight to their vehicles over time, I've always been in the opposite camp. Whether driving CJs, TJs or the JL, I've always enjoyed how nimble they are when stripped down to the bare necessities. Since purchasing my 2-door Sport in 2021, I've replaced the rear seat with a Tuffy security deck, and typically drive in safari mode with half doors. Only items heavier than stock, are the Willys rims/tires that I recently installed, so this is how I roll for most of the year:

Jeep Wrangler JL How LIGHT is Your 2-Door JL? IMG_5592.JPG

Just for fun, I decided to weigh my JL in this configuration (with a mostly full gas tank), and it came out to a lean 4,320 lbs. Just curious if there are others who also seek a lighter ride and how much their Jeeps weigh. Love to see the numbers and hear what you've done to scale down the weight. Appreciate the feedback and happy Jeepin'!
Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Don’t know the exact vehicle weight…
I currently have a two door with no back seat, no hardtop, no freedom panels, and no doors…. I went up to 33 inch tires on 17x9 wheels, and added a couple of small coyote mirrors. Jeep right now is as in my current profile pic.

So I am definitely running well under stock weight. And it is noticeable too! Thing accelerates faster and is fun as heck to drive! 😊👍

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
When I weighted mine it was approximately 100 lbs less than that; however, I had 2,800 helium balloons tied to the roll cage at the time. Hope that helps indeedy.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I'm in total agreement. Instead of a steel bumper and winch I have a portable come along that I carry only on rare occasions. No point hauling extra weight around most of the time.

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
So....while I realize most of us typically add more accessories and more weight to their vehicles over time, I've always been in the opposite camp. Whether driving CJs, TJs or the JL, I've always enjoyed how nimble they are when stripped down to the bare necessities. Since purchasing my 2-door Sport in 2021, I've replaced the rear seat with a Tuffy security deck, and typically drive in safari mode with half doors. Only items heavier than stock, are the Willys rims/tires that I recently installed, so this is how I roll for most of the year:

Jeep Wrangler JL How LIGHT is Your 2-Door JL? IMG_1994

Just for fun, I decided to weigh my JL in this configuration (with a mostly full gas tank), and it came out to a lean 4,320 lbs. Just curious if there are others who also seek a lighter ride and how much their Jeeps weigh. Love to see the numbers and hear what you've done to scale down the weight. Appreciate the feedback and happy Jeepin'!
funny... That's almost exactly what this boat weighed.
JeepandSam.jpg

My first jeep!

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Funny, it doesn't even look like it'd float.

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
My 2 door is much lighter than my former diesel Rulbi. I think it tipped the scales at a little over 5400. Off road you sure could tell the difference although the torque made up for a lot, in soft sand it would sink.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I dunno. “Jeep” and “light” don’t seem to belong in the same sentence😏

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

I don't know what the back seat weighs, but just removing that also got me a free 3/4" lift in the rear.

Anyone know what the difference in weight is between the hard top and the soft top?

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I dunno. “Jeep” and “light” don’t seem to belong in the same sentence😏
LOL...I'll respectfully disagree on that point, at least from a historical perspective. The GPW and MB were designed as light scout and troop carriers, and the theme for a light off road passenger/utility vehicle continued into civilian use, at least until the YJ series. One could argue this continued into the TJ series as well, but things started getting heavier as soon as the Rubicon trim was introduced...and of course it really went south when the 4-door JK was produced. With all the gratuitous electronic witchcraft, emissions, nanny systems and Federally-mandated crap, I will agree that the modern Wrangler is a behemoth in comparison. But...to each his/her own. For many, it's the best Jeep ever.

Last edited:

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Thank you @flyer92 posting this. I was contemplating just the other day how I can make my rig lighter (saying this after I added aftermarket steel bumpers, 35in MTs and a winch).

Obvious opportunities though to lighten are:
*Remove Hard top in favor of soft top
*Remove Back Seat
*Remove Doors in favor or none and/or Bestop cloth doors
*Remove Aux Battery
*Swap out main Battery for lighter one
*Have Manual Transmission rather than Automatic
*Have driver go on Diet

Other things I personally wouldn't do but that are options:
*Remove Carpet
*Remove AC

What else does everyone have? Pretty sure that one of the Jeep concepts a few years back was an ultralight no frills 2 door. I think it sat 1-2 inches higher simply due to reduced weight if I remember correctly.

Jeep Weight gain is a problem no one really wants to talk about because it comes at the cost of fewer cool add-ons. But less weight really makes a difference.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
LOL...I'll respectfully disagree on that point, at least from a historical perspective. The GPW and MB were designed as light scout and troop carriers, and the theme for a light off road passenger/utility vehicle continued into civilian use, at least until the YJ series. One could argue this continued into the TJ series as well, but things started getting heavier as soon as the Rubicon trim was introduced...and of course it really went south when the 4-door JK was produced. With all the gratuitous electronic witchcraft, emissions, nanny systems and Federally-mandated crap, I will agree that the modern Wrangler is a behemoth in comparison. But...to each his/her own. For many, it's the best Jeep ever.
We are in agreement😊. The JK’s and JL’s are very “porky” compared to the earlier models👍. Good rigs, but porky. Imagine the good stuff we have today in a package 1000 lbs lighter. That would be a rig.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
My JLR is probably one of the heaviest 2-doors from the factory... 2018 (larger gas tank), Rubicon, hardtop, steel bumper, 2.0 with e-torque. It didn't come with every option, so there probably are heavier 2-doors out there.

I bet my other 2-liter 2-door is literally half the weight of my JL.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My JLR is probably one of the heaviest 2-doors from the factory... 2018 (larger gas tank), Rubicon, hardtop, steel bumper, 2.0 with e-torque. It didn't come with every option, so there probably are heavier 2-doors out there.

I bet my other 2-liter 2-door is literally half the weight of my JL.
I'm sure mine isn't the lightest either. 3.6L AT with eTorque, LSD, factory tow package and rock sliders, but I don't plan on adding much beyond that. I actually love driving without the spare tire, but my OCD-ness won't let me take it far off road without it! Had no idea that gas tanks were larger for 2018 models....was this only for the 2.0. or was it across all engines and trim levels?
Sponsored