Sponsored

How is on-road performance with the open diff?

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I’m working on my options list for a 2020 order, but my options for on-road traction have me a little stumped.

Since my driving will be 99% on road, I’m leaning towards a sport with LSD, (or even a Sahara with full time 4wd) but the rubicon keeps making it back into my list for the better gear ratio and ability to run 35s without a lift. Both are important to me as my local dealers are definitely at risk of voiding warranty on mods.

So my question - for street driving, how’s performance with the open differential? Any issues with traction in the rain / light sand or other annoying behavior?

In a quick inventory, I think I’ve only owned one car with an open rear axle, the rest from trucks to SUVs to sports cars all had some form of limited slip.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
No issues with open diffs on my Rubicon, BLD does a pretty good job. I only use lockers when I'm stuck or trying to climb things.

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
On my SportU with stock wheels I just did a 700+ mile trip and not only was the rig a peach I got almost 25mpgs avg. I also did some beach and muddy road travel in there and had zero issues whatsoever with traction even with the wimpy street oriented tires FWIW.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Open diffs allow a better on road feel. Limited slip tends to give a little more under-steer feel.
I disagree. Under normal driving both tires will have have traction, and a clutch-based limited slip should have no influence on the axle's output. If one tire loses traction enough for one of the clutches to engage, speeds would be low and excessive steering input would result in oversteer.

OP: On-road with the open differential in a JLR is fine. I have only experienced slip by forcefully overpowering the tires.

Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I have found while steering through a curve the front as had a more pushing feeling in the front end as if the vehicle does not want to turn as well. When equipped with LSD, as the same vehicle with out is just how I felt it. However this feeling maybe caused from not having a factory LSD. It is very possible the clutches in the factory units may be set up a little more loosely and more forgiving.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
It depends on how good your tires are, and how aggressively you drive. With older tiers (harder rubber, less tread, less grip), it can be pretty easy to spin the inside tire when accelerating around a corner in the rain. However, with modern traction control systems, spinning wheels tend to get shut down pretty quick anyways.

In snow, you will probably use 4WD more often if you don't have a LSD. It can be hard to accelerate from a slippery stop sign with only 1 wheel spinning.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I have made the inside rear tire squeal a few times going WOT from a left hand turn. Other than that, I don't notice the open diff. In 2wd in the snow it can be difficult to start from a stop, but traction control does a pretty good job of handling it. No issues in 4wd.

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
Also it looks to me like the brake lock differentials work well enough that a limited slip is kind of pointless anymore. If you need to get both tires turning, the brake locks do a good enough job without having the annoyances a limited slip might cause. My friend with a stock JLU sport will get tires in the air, then just gently feed in some throttle and the brake lock diffs sort it out.

I agree. The Sport with open diffs will handle a whole bunch of off road before you find its limits.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Open Diffs with all the traction control and brake lock diff is fine. It takes care of issues as needed.

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
For what it's worth, if you feel like getting a little hacky, you can enable the rear locker in 2hi with the Tazer programmer. Kind of fun in the winter.

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I have found while steering through a curve the front as had a more pushing feeling in the front end as if the vehicle does not want to turn as well. When equipped with LSD, as the same vehicle with out is just how I felt it. However this feeling maybe caused from not having a factory LSD. It is very possible the clutches in the factory units may be set up a little more loosely and more forgiving.
Dude, STFU. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Instead of a short sentence that offers no real help, maybe you can help explain how a LSD works. Maybe I can have a better understanding of the internal workings. I personally have installed only 4 units from different manufacturers. I am always up for learning new things. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Instead of a short sentence that offers no real help, maybe you can help explain how a LSD works. Maybe I can have a better understanding of the internal workings. I personally have installed only 4 units from different manufacturers. I am always up for learning new things. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.
I wrote a post a while ago about differentials. Nothing specific to the JL's limited slip though. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...i-spin-diff-question.27302/page-2#post-647885

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
dummy here, didnt really think about lsd when I ordered our 4xe. realize now big mistake, but the 4xe comes with dana 44s so dont get as much for the upgrade. Now I have read about the issues of clutch based systems vs. the truetrak. So going to see how this winter goes and possible upgrade the rear axle. Same cost for the parts so only extra is for install, prob another $500. But I think the product will perform better and last longer. Long story short, glad I didnt order the OEM LSD
Sponsored