Sponsored

How did you decide on your engine?

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
My manual transmission requirement dictated the 3.6. With that said even if I was going auto I'd still get the 3.6.

Relatively large displacement v6 with good hp and tq area under the curve combined with port fuel injection without power adders equates to lower maintenance and increased reliability.

The power is more then sufficient for a Jeep and a pleasure to drive ( bear in mind my other vehicle has a twin turbo v8 with 516 lb ft of tq), had no trouble in elevation fully loaded with cargo and people.

Plan to keep this a long time and enjoy the heck out of the stick shift and 3.6 combo as I collect more BOH's
Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
What were the driving factors that lead to your engine choice? I've been on the fence between the 3.6 and the 2.0T. I'm leaning towards the 3.6 because of the long track record, smooth power, and the sound, sound is oddly important to me. What I don't like is the reduced fuel economy and lower power compared to the 2.0T. I've owned turbos in the past with terrible curves making the gas pedal feel like a toggle switch.

My JLUR will be on 35's and a daily driver with a very short commute to work and day trips out of town through the mountains about once a month. Next year I would like to try some 3 day overlanding trips here in the PNW. I think part of my hang up with the 2.0T is a turbo seems strange in a wrangler, but that's just me and I would get used to it, it's proven to be a good engine so far. I'm not excited about premium gas though.

For choosing an engine the most important considerations, in order, are reliability, enough power to feel confident in all driving conditions, range, fuel economy, and maintenance cost.
I had/have both the 3.6 auto in my 2020 JLUR and the 2.0 auto in my 2021 JLUR. There is a difference in sound and feel.

IMO the 3.6 sounds like you have a few good horses under the hood. The 2.0 sounds like you have a few good squirrels under the hood.

Power wise the 2.0 feels more lively but the 3.6 much smoother and refined. Both provided reasonably quick “giddy up” for a heavy solid axle 4x4. Way better then the old 3.6 JK series.

Fuel efficiency goes to the 2.0, but not by much. 2-3 mpg better all around is what I am seeing.

Lastly the 2.0 dumped the overly complicated eTorque for 2021 and now all the auto 3.6 come with it. One of the reasons I did not go with a second 3.6 auto was being forced to have eTorque. IMO that is just asking for expenses issues down the road when out of the very short warranty period.

All things considered I don’t miss the 3.6 auto in my 2020 JLUR as much as I though I would. About the only thing I miss is the low background rumble of the engine while driving at city street speeds. But again IMO is not worth having given the extra added complexity of the eTorque system.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
What were the driving factors that lead to your engine choice? I've been on the fence between the 3.6 and the 2.0T. I'm leaning towards the 3.6 because of the long track record, smooth power, and the sound, sound is oddly important to me. What I don't like is the reduced fuel economy and lower power compared to the 2.0T. I've owned turbos in the past with terrible curves making the gas pedal feel like a toggle switch.

My JLUR will be on 35's and a daily driver with a very short commute to work and day trips out of town through the mountains about once a month. Next year I would like to try some 3 day overlanding trips here in the PNW. I think part of my hang up with the 2.0T is a turbo seems strange in a wrangler, but that's just me and I would get used to it, it's proven to be a good engine so far. I'm not excited about premium gas though.

For choosing an engine the most important considerations, in order, are reliability, enough power to feel confident in all driving conditions, range, fuel economy, and maintenance cost.
I'm running around Colirado and Moab Utah and finding that the turbo is a huge plus over the normally-adpirated V-6 at higher elevations. Of course, the kuick from the 4xe doesn't hurt either.

LastFrontier1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR Sarge Green
I think though if I were up in the mountains and for what everybody else has been saying the turbo is the way to go.Thats where it becomes worth it.
Both engines seem quite good. I bought the JLR 3.6L after test driving both the 3.6L the 2.0L and have no regrets. I got my JLR 3.6 2 Door in January this year and most of my driving is above 8,000 feet. I have yet to even drive it below 6200ft. I would not sell the 3.6 short at “altitude” with the 8 speed transmission it has been great. Talking to some other off-roaders with JLs here in Colorado it seems the JL w/3.6 is quite popular. If I had a commute up a high-altitude (above 10,000ft) pass everyday I might have reconsidered, but I don’t.

Some posters claim the throttle response is more nuanced with the 3.6L at low speeds off-road (no power surging on a shelf road, for example). I do not know if that is accurate as I only test drove them in 2WD on pavement. I do enjoy the throttle response of my 3.6 off-road. I wonder what the difference from a practical standpoint would be in 4 low at 12,000 ft?

I own a car with a turbo charged straight-six (3.0 L) it is really fun to hit the paved high altitude passes with that, it screams! I have nothing against turbos!

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392

I was really quite impressed with the diesel.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Can you please send me a link to where someone is having carbon buildup issues on the 2.0?
You can look at the forums of the last 3 generations of VW/Audi cars, there are an infinite number of threads on the topic with pictures. BMW as well. With direct injection, the gas and detergents never run over the valves so over time there is significant build up. Short trips and hyper-miling only make it worse. The only remedy is a secondary injector in the manifold, I don't think the Jeep 2.0 has one. These engines are only about 2 years old, so it has not become an issue yet. Performance gradually drops, and eventually you get a CEL for misfires. Then the intake manifold needs to be removed so the ports can be walnut blasted or chemically cleaned.
Build up can also be kept at bay with the 'Italian tune-up,' essentially hard driving at 3000+ rpm for 30 minutes will burn it off. Audi has a patent for this method.

Last edited:

Fastbusa

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL

Well, I was buying a jeep and already worried about reliability. No way I was buying a turbo that jeep was making, same with a diesel. Just too soon for both. That also goes for the hybrid. I'd feel okay with the 392 because that's what they've been doing but I'm poor so 3.6 it was

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Im going to order a 21 or 22 two door Rubicon with the 2.0 T. I have yet to read a review by an owner that regretted getting the 2.0. Also, I have read and talked to folks who owned both the 3.6 and the 2.0T and in every case they said the 2.0 felt faster and peppier. They also ALL said the 2.0T got better mileage. I work from home so only drive about 5,000 per year max. Im not overly concerned about rumors of possible long term maint issues as it will take me a VERY long time to put many miles on my jeep.

Finally, I will be using it from 0 to 7,000 ft elevation and a turbo works better IMO in those extremes.

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
I decided on the 3.6 after a test drive. The 2.0 just seems too noisy on the highway for me. It also seemed to lag a little when passing.. keep in mind it was running most likely on unleaded and it only had maybe less than 50 miles on the engine so it was nowhere near broken in. I drove a 3.6 after that and it just seemed to be more quiet and comfortable . Running at the same speed to the exact same test. And what I'm not sure about is carbon buildup on the valves on a direct injection engine. I believe both Motors are direct injected. I think turbos might be a little more prone to the carbon buildup in the future. No proof. My Jeep will spend most of its time at sea level. I think though if I were up in the mountains and for what everybody else has been saying the turbo is the way to go.Thats where it becomes worth it.
The 3.6 has sequential MPFI, not direct injection.

ChrisTheGod

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha r6, Infiniti q60s conv, 2021 HYDRO RUBI
I can tell you a simple reason why I will always choose the v6 over the 2.0 and it’s simple all these new 2.0 turbos are NOT meant to carry big cars look at any other company even luxury companies and those engines never make it past 100k while pulling a big car those engines are meant for tinier cars and even maybe sedans

Sponsored

rrubbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
I'm a firm believer in tried and true. That's the primary reason for me going with the 3.6. I had the 3.6 in my previous JKU. My wife has one in her current Grand Cherokee and had one in each of her last few Grand Cherokees. It's a reliable workhorse of an engine and mated to the 8 speed auto is the perfect combination for the driving I do.

New to the forum....still learning

Diesel too new on this car and the whole purpose is long range and great mpg. My wife's X5 diesel gets 31mpg and 750 mile range. So...no diesel on Jeep.
2.0 ...small and Turbo another thing to deal with.
392....too new. I try never to buy car that has less than 3 years on the market.
electric...too new too, and it is not a Jeep. Buy a Tesla.
3.6 tried and true. My only concern is the etorque, another thing to break down.

Abe

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
The 3.6 has sequential MPFI, not direct injection.
The 3.6 does have MPFI. As said in earlier posts, MPFI has the advantage of the gasoline detergents going over the top of the valves thereby preventing carbon deposits (even better with top tier gasoline). MPFI is a happy medium between TBI and GDI as it allows for great fuel control and atomization while not exposing the injector to the harsh temperatures of the combustion chamber.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Im going to order a 21 or 22 two door Rubicon with the 2.0 T. I have yet to read a review by an owner that regretted getting the 2.0. Also, I have read and talked to folks who owned both the 3.6 and the 2.0T and in every case they said the 2.0 felt faster and peppier. They also ALL said the 2.0T got better mileage. I work from home so only drive about 5,000 per year max. Im not overly concerned about rumors of possible long term maint issues as it will take me a VERY long time to put many miles on my jeep.

Finally, I will be using it from 0 to 7,000 ft elevation and a turbo works better IMO in those extremes.
So true, everyone that eventually buys the new Inline-4 Turbo engine doesn't do back to the NA. We all come from the lagging power climbs and lack of power in the mountains and white knuckle passing of the NA V6. Jeep research showed that Wranglers needed more power and more of it on the low RPM range. Plus the v8 & i4 bring the FUN back to the Jeep. Like the i6 4.0 did in the TJs. Yes the NA v6 is a good SUV engine, that's why its in other Jeep models, of which my wife has.

Now lets solve this engine sound perspective... with all the MODS that Jeepers do, I'm surprised to hear that the sound is still an issue when deciding... Just CHANGE or DELETE the muffler... Problem solved... GEEEZUS its like the cheapest DIY mod in the history of mods.
In summary:
Like having a fun Wrangler to drive, get the i4
Like going fast in the fast lane, get the i4
Like low end torque, get the i4
Like consistent & instant power at high elevations and when rock crawling, get the i4
Like quickly passing semi-trucks uphill on the freeway, get the i4
Like getting better MPGs, get a i4 (getting 19mpgs on 37s)
Like telling people you got a NA v6, get a v6
Like having the best of both worlds, wait for the Turbo v6... or just get the v8!

Last edited:

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
3.6 as it was the only one available with a Manual Transmission.
Gregj
Sponsored