First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
My mother-in-law has a 2011 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6L and has nearly 200,000 problem free miles out of it now. That made the decision fairly easy for me as I know it can be a solid, bullet-proof motor.

Obviously, I’m not saying the 2.0L can’t be, but I had real world proof from someone who doesn’t know a single thing about cars who managed to get serious mileage out of their Pentastar 3.6L.

If I had ended up with the 2.0L I wouldn’t have been upset.
Sponsored

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMC GREMLIN, GMC SIERRA, 21 WILLYS
I decided on the 3.6 after a test drive. The 2.0 just seems too noisy on the highway for me. It also seemed to lag a little when passing.. keep in mind it was running most likely on unleaded and it only had maybe less than 50 miles on the engine so it was nowhere near broken in. I drove a 3.6 after that and it just seemed to be more quiet and comfortable . Running at the same speed to the exact same test. And what I'm not sure about is carbon buildup on the valves on a direct injection engine. I believe both Motors are direct injected. I think turbos might be a little more prone to the carbon buildup in the future. No proof. My Jeep will spend most of its time at sea level. I think though if I were up in the mountains and for what everybody else has been saying the turbo is the way to go.Thats where it becomes worth it.

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
I had a JKUR with the 3.8 V6 and 4AT... it was mediocre but the only option at the time.

So I went with the 2.0T on my JLUS and the 8AT which was great.

Then wanted to try the 3.6 V6 with 8AT this time around on my JLUR and loving it.

Honestly can't go wrong with either option. Would like to try the 3.0 or 6.4 next.

Sponsored

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
I test drove them back to back over multiple occasions. Made a pro/con matrix - it turned out pretty even so I went with the one I had the most fun driving (2.0T). I hope that turns out to be a good decision. At this point I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I work at a Jeep dealership. I decided based off talking to the mechanics, and seeing how the 2.0/3.6 acted. The only problem I've ever seen with the 3.6 is lifter problems, and they only have that when people wait too long to change oil. The 2.0 always sounds like it is idling super high. I understand turbos are good, but that's one part that spins at 30,000+ RPM. Give me basic any day.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
thought I was set on getting the V6, but then I test drove them both...the 2.0T was for me

took the water toys out for the first time yesterday and was impressed with its towing capabilities ....

although I will say getting like 12 mpg while towing isn't great with the gas prices in Cali these days :facepalm:

Jeep Wrangler JL How did you decide on your engine? tempImageyHHx22

Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I decided on the 3.6 after a test drive. The 2.0 just seems too noisy on the highway for me. It also seemed to lag a little when passing.. keep in mind it was running most likely on unleaded and it only had maybe less than 50 miles on the engine so it was nowhere near broken in. I drove a 3.6 after that and it just seemed to be more quiet and comfortable . Running at the same speed to the exact same test. And what I'm not sure about is carbon buildup on the valves on a direct injection engine. I believe both Motors are direct injected. I think turbos might be a little more prone to the carbon buildup in the future. No proof. My Jeep will spend most of its time at sea level. I think though if I were up in the mountains and for what everybody else has been saying the turbo is the way to go.Thats where it becomes worth it.
To stop carbon buildup on valves you need to use Top Tier fuel. You can watch Youtube videos about using it, or go to www.toptiergas.com. The US mandates a set amount of detergents in fuel. Top Tier stations add more to help carbon buildup on DI engines.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
There is something to be said for simpler, I wish the 3.6 was simpler but the CAFE standards won't allow it these days. I like taking my 2002 Civic 5MT to the mountains because it is super simple to fix almost anything minor (remember a 10mm socket and open end wrench). I can't tell you how many times I've push started that car (I went a whole week without a starter once). I wish I could push start my 3.6 6MT Wrangler as if you're 6-10 miles out in the back country at a trail head it is a little hard to find a jump. Think about it, you don't need much of an incline in 4L to turn that crank enough to push start it (the JL is to smart for it's own good).
I won’t argue with you about the 3.6L being too complicated- I blame the AUX battery and ESS for that- and it may not work if you have a dead battery, but I can assure you that you actually CAN push start (aka pop the clutch) the 3.6L with manual transmission. I did it the other day on a hill just to see if it worked.

Edit: on reflection, I suppose it wouldn’t work if the jeep was dead... you couldn’t put the push button into the “on” position

MissRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I went with the 3.6 due to it's history, from all accounts that I've heard it's a reliable, tried-and-true engine, and I like the way it sounds and revs when I drive it. It feels "trucky", so to speak.

Husband went with the 4xe and it's fun in a different way. When he's in e-only mode it's silent and smooth, it practically glides. Once the turbo kicks in on the highway there is no denying it has a lot of power, more power than my v6 even. It's zippy where my v6 feels more rumbly.

Honestly I don't think there's a "bad" Jeep engine, just depends on what driving experience you want.

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMC GREMLIN, GMC SIERRA, 21 WILLYS
To stop carbon buildup on valves you need to use Top Tier fuel. You can watch Youtube videos about using it, or go to www.toptiergas.com. The US mandates a set amount of detergents in fuel. Top Tier stations add more to help carbon buildup on DI engines.
You are preaching to the choir.