First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR; 2016 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Education
What were the driving factors that lead to your engine choice? I've been on the fence between the 3.6 and the 2.0T. I'm leaning towards the 3.6 because of the long track record, smooth power, and the sound, sound is oddly important to me. What I don't like is the reduced fuel economy and lower power compared to the 2.0T. I've owned turbos in the past with terrible curves making the gas pedal feel like a toggle switch.

My JLUR will be on 35's and a daily driver with a very short commute to work and day trips out of town through the mountains about once a month. Next year I would like to try some 3 day overlanding trips here in the PNW. I think part of my hang up with the 2.0T is a turbo seems strange in a wrangler, but that's just me and I would get used to it, it's proven to be a good engine so far. I'm not excited about premium gas though.

For choosing an engine the most important considerations, in order, are reliability, enough power to feel confident in all driving conditions, range, fuel economy, and maintenance cost.
I picked the one with 3 pedals. Easy-peasy.

no regrets for me (although I would have been interested in both the 2.0 and the diesel if there was a manual option)
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My criteria was straight forward. I picked up the least expensive (2.0) and simplest option (no eTorque) that can be ordered with an 8-speed auto. The two gasoline options are so close in performance that there was no sense in paying morel or lug around the extra complexity (cooling lines, etc) and weight (battery, BSG, etc) of the eTorque.

The only downside of the 2.0 is that it sounds awful at startup and mediocre after that.

Bamaprof

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU EcoDiesel, 2018 Ram 3500 6.7 Dually
Occupation
Professor
Vehicle Showcase
No replacement for displacement. 3.6 in 2021 Gladiator ordering a 392 asap

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I have the 3.6 because that was the option when I got mine. I just drove one with the 2.0t for a week as a rental.

that motor is a real sweet heart. My ended mpg between the 3.6 and the 2.0t stock vs stock was the same for me. I dont jave my supercharger installed yet, and im debating selling my blower on the forum and trading my 3.6 for the 2.0

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
This is all great feedback. I know we have had as many diesel responses, but it's good to have seen a few thoughts on those as well.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
What were the driving factors that lead to your engine choice? I've been on the fence between the 3.6 and the 2.0T. I'm leaning towards the 3.6 because of the long track record, smooth power, and the sound, sound is oddly important to me. What I don't like is the reduced fuel economy and lower power compared to the 2.0T. I've owned turbos in the past with terrible curves making the gas pedal feel like a toggle switch.

My JLUR will be on 35's and a daily driver with a very short commute to work and day trips out of town through the mountains about once a month. Next year I would like to try some 3 day overlanding trips here in the PNW. I think part of my hang up with the 2.0T is a turbo seems strange in a wrangler, but that's just me and I would get used to it, it's proven to be a good engine so far. I'm not excited about premium gas though.

For choosing an engine the most important considerations, in order, are reliability, enough power to feel confident in all driving conditions, range, fuel economy, and maintenance cost.

I had no prior experience with either, but I test drove the 2.0L Turbo and loved it so we went with that. The extra fuel mileage was attractive since I put over 22,000 miles on mine each year. So far I've had it for about 19 months and 35,500 miles and I love it. It does great off-road as well, taken it up a pretty rocky trail at a crawl and it performed excellent.

Also, I towed my '03 TJ with my Jeep for about 40 miles through the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, didn't feel like it was straining it in the slightest.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
First a bit of a rant then the reason for my choice...
I also have been building, fixing and enjoying engines for the last 40-ish years. All these concerns about bearing thrust, direct injection, and carbon buildup makes it sound real real scary. A direct injected motor gets no more carbon buildup in the cylinder than a regular fuel injected motor. Carbon build up in the back of the intake valves is a real thing, but has nothing to do with gas because the with DI the fuel is "directly injected" into the cylinder, so you don't get the "washing" effect of fuel being sprayed and condensing on the intake valve to wash oil off of the back of the valve. Oil is going to get into the intake track because all engines use a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. That being said the manufacturer has gotten better about condensing and limiting oil consumption through the PCV. All we can do is maybe run a good oil separator/catch can. That and we can run cleaner like seafoam every 10k or 20k miles (I would do this on a 3.6 too). Port injected engines suffer from the same problem and the intake ports suffer from buildup just like DI motors. The injector just sprays at the valve. DI has been around for a long time and is not new. It also has many advantages and allows the engine to make more power. Modern computer controlled engines are not like the old school motors I used to build. They have different computer controlled oiling modes based on load. Watch your oil pressure while driving, at any given rpm it may be as low as 20psi then jump to 50 or 60 at the same RPM if you push on the gas pedal.
For all those liking the "simplicity" of the 3.6... You're kidding yourselves. There is nothing simple about ANY modern engine. They are ALL 100% computer controlled, they don't have mechanical distributors, there is no mechanical connection between the gas pedal and the engine's throttle, cams can be physically advanced and retarded, timing can vary by 30+ degrees based on a large number of parameters defined in the engine controller's (pcm) calibration. The complexity of these calibrations is why engines make so much power these days and still run so smooth, clean, and get decent fuel mileage. For example, a Ford 5.0 (very proven platform) has over 20 of the same spark table with values that are interpolated between them depending on current running conditions. I also don't see the big deal about that "overly complex etorque system". What's so complex? Replace the alternator with a generator/motor, add a battery pack, cooling lines, heat exchanger, coolant pump, and some battery cables. Are you guys against the even more complex air conditioning systems being added to your jeeps? (In truth I know some people are LOL). Small displacement turbo engines have been around for a long long time and get plenty of miles. Is this engine combo as proven in jeeps? Nope. Does that mean it's not as good as the 3.6? Nope. Has this engine platform (at least extremely similar) been proven in other vehicles? Yes.

My reason for getting a 2.0T...
The engine itself is a stable design. I know people that do tuning and reverse engineering on the PCMs and TCMs as a profession. One of them does actual tuning for most of the chrysler platforms and is well known for his tuning abilities. He tunes both 3.6 and 2.0T jeeps as well. He's also quite familiar with engine internals. I asked his opinion and he said they are both good, but in stock form he'd opt for the 2.0T all day. The tuned 2.0T just makes more power and torque where a Jeep needs it and uses it. I always planned on putting a tune in my Jeep whether I bought a 3.6 or a 2.0. I've been a stick guy most of my life but got converted when I had a challenger hellcat with the 8 speed. The TCM is just too smart and too cool, and, I'm getting old so having an auto do all the work in a daily driver was appealing. :) I got my 2.0T with the etorque system. I like the minor benefits, it's been around in the Ram trucks for years and I didn't see a down side. The 3.6 definitely sounds cooler, but I don't care about that stuff anymore.

In truth you won't go wrong with any of the engine combos available. 2.0T, 2.0T4xe, 3.6, 3.0, 392, they are all winners and I don't really hear any owners complain about any of them. Test drive them and see which works for your driving style. Both the 3.6 and 2.0T have tuning available if you want a little more from either. Someone will probably release something for the baby diesel. The 392 doesn't need it but I'm sure that will be released by the major tuners within a year.

$.02

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted a Turbo, but when I went to place the order Orange was no longer available so it became a what could I find on the lots that were as close to what I wanted before it was too late and ended up with a V6. No complaints but having driven a turbo Jeep I was more excited for that but in the end, I got the color I wanted by sacrificing, a tow package, Alpine system, and the turbo. Two of the three things are easily fixable.

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Haha. I decided I wanted the least complicated. So I got the old tried and true v6 with no e-torque. Whatā€™s funny is now I realize that modern vehicles are all complex, and all I really accomplished was getting the oldest and least efficient engine available. I still love my ride, but now I say get whatever power train you like.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

You really can't go wrong either way. Both are great engines. Both are reliable. The 2.0 might possibly be a better choice for you. The extra torque will help get the heavier and larger 35's going with less effort. Forced induction looses less power at altitude.

Your trade offs are really the 2.0's engine sound verses it's extra torque. The 2.0's extra mpg is nice for additional driving range between fill ups. Cost per miles to drive is probably a wash since premium gas cost more.

I feel the 2.0 is not as smooth or quiet. Some people do not notice. You can get a quieter 2.0 if you order a Rubicon or Sahara 2.0 WITH the 8.4" Alpine. The 2.0 with the larger infotainment option includes electronic Automatic Noise Cancelling.

I would definitely go test drive the model you want with both engines and see if one appeals more to your preferences. I'd ask the dealer not to tell you which engine is in each so you are not biased. You might be surprised. I would ask the dealer to fill the 2.0 with a little bit of premium gas so you feel the full potential of the engine.

Full disclosure, I previously owned a '15 JK with the 3.6. I owned a '19 JLR 2.0T with eTorque for 2.5 years. Zero issues in 2.5 years and 21K miles. I like the 2.0 a lot more between those 2 models. Comparing the '15 JK with 3.6 to the '19 2.0 JLR is not fair comparison because the excellent 8-Speed ZF transmission is a game changer. I really think the 8-Speed ZF is more important than the engine choice. I recently sold the 2.0 JLR. I am in the the market for another JLR. I have not made a decision on my engine yet. I would be totally happy with either if there were not a choice.

Last edited:

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
You really can't go wrong either way. Both are great engines. Both are reliable. The 2.0 might possibly be a better choice for you. The extra torque will help get the heavier and larger 35's going with less effort. Forced induction looses less power at altitude.

Your trade offs are really the 2.0's engine sound verses it's extra torque. The 2.0's extra mpg is nice for additional driving range between fill ups. Cost per miles to drive is probably a wash since premium gas cost more.

I feel the 2.0 is not as smooth or quiet. Some people do not notice. You can get a quieter 2.0 if you order a Rubicon or Sahara 2.0 WITH the 8.4" Alpine. The 2.0 with the larger infotainment option includes electronic Automatic Noise Cancelling.

I would definitely go test drive the model you want with both engines and see if one appeals more to your preferences. I'd ask the dealer not to tell you which engine is in each so you are not biased. You might be surprised. I would ask the dealer to fill the 2.0 with a little bit of premium gas so you feel the full potential of the engine.

Full disclosure, I previously owned a '15 JK with the 3.6. I owned a '19 JLR 2.0T with eTorque for 2.5 years. Zero issues in 2.5 years and 21K miles. I like the 2.0 a lot more between those 2 models. Comparing the '15 JK with 3.6 to the '19 2.0 JLR is not fair comparison because the excellent 8-Speed ZF transmission is a game changer. I really think the 8-Speed ZF is more important than the engine choice. I recently sold the 2.0 JLR. I am in the the market for another JLR. I have not made a decision on my engine yet. I would be totally happy with either if there were not a choice.
ā€œYou can get a quieter 2.0 if you order a Rubicon or Sahara 2.0 WITH the 8.4" Alpine. The 2.0 with the larger infotainment option includes electronic Automatic Noise Cancelling.l

Where are you getting this information? I find no reference to Active Noise Cancellation in the Wrangler owners manual. The GC has that option, and it is stated in the OM. Perhaps there is more sound deadening materials in those two packages?

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Price. Paying premium for 3.6(Auto) or Diesel wasnā€™t worth it to me. 9 time wrangler owner. TJ,JK, Jl x 2. Strait 6, 3.6 penstar and now a 2.0. I just need an engine. The money saved on engine upgrade went towards leather, LED, Alpine, dual tops, whatever. If 3.6 and 2.0 were both $0 options Iā€™d probably go 3.6 just because thatā€™s what Iā€™ve always had but fine with 2.0. Diesel, 4XE, 392 would be great as well but....$$$ Look at it this way. $1,000 is 2% on a $50k rig. I got 7% below invoice on my order, add another 2% for sticking with base engine šŸ˜ But thatā€™s just me. Other Jeepers will say screw that. Iā€™m not driving a 4 cylinder Jeep. Iā€™d say thatā€™s older Jeepers but I'm
old and embrace new technology. The 4 turbo in todayā€™s Jeep isnā€™t the 117 hp, 4 cylinder you had in your 1990 YJ

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Well, I was buying a jeep and already worried about reliability. No way I was buying a turbo that jeep was making, same with a diesel. Just too soon for both.
The GME T4 dates to 2016, and was/is manufactured in Italy. Domestic production was supposed to begin in Q2 2021.

...all these new 2.0 turbos are NOT meant to carry big cars look at any other company even luxury companies and those engines never make it past 100k while pulling a big car those engines are meant for tinier cars and even maybe sedans
The 2.0T in my 4,200 lb. Wrangler has more horsepower and torque than did the NA V6 in my Honda Ridgeline, which had a GVWR exceeding 6,000 lbs.

I just towed a 1,350 lb. trailer on an interstate camping trip. When accelerating and especially at steady speeds on smooth roads, I didn't know the trailer was there. That wasn't accidental. The 2.0T (coupled with the excellent 850RE transmission) really is well-suited for its mission.

Plus the idea of a 4cylinder on something like a Jeep didnā€™t sit right for me.
I don't miss the AMC 2.5L four in my 1995 YJ. That said, I'd wager there are more Jeeps (dating back to 1941) with four cylinder engines than there are with any other cylinder count.

The fours are the engine that got there first.

I also don't see the big deal about that "overly complex etorque system".

What's so complex? Replace the alternator with:
  • a generator/motor
  • a battery pack,
  • cooling lines
  • heat exchanger
  • coolant pump
  • and some battery cables.
Was that said in jest? :)
Sponsored