Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Driving up the mountains with the family loaded in, and 300 lbs of crap in the back reminded me just how bad that engine sucks wind. Completely gutless below 3000 RPM.

I drive a manual with 35s and 4.88 gears, but had to keep it in 4th for most of the drive up, and wind it out to maintain momentum.
I ran Imogene pass today from Ouray to Telluride for the 4th time with new 37'' ridge grappler tires (previously toyo mt 35''), stock 4.10 gears and the manual trans w/ about the same 300lbs of gear, myself at 200lbs and a 190lb codriver. Above 10k feet it does start to suck... HOWEVER downshifting and gratuitous use of 4lo took care of it. Evolve or die lol.

5.13 gears are def in order....
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
In your response to "No replacement for displacement",
Tesla engineering is able to better displace electrons to the motors via better battery tech and motor efficiency. So in a sense, even with electric vehicles, there is no replacement for displacement. :)
The internal combustion equivalent to electrons would be air & fuel, not cylinder displacement.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The M139 2.0 AMG Mercedes engine makes 416 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. That is about the same as C6 Corvette's normally aspirated 6.0L LS2 V8.

No replacement for displacement no longer is valid. Has not been true for decades due to forced induction. You can add forced induction and electric assist now. Forced induction and /or electric assist has changed all the rules. Some brands have incorporated all of the technologies.

Then there is the modern automatic transmission. A transmission choice can make as much or more of difference than the engine choice. Drive train loss is minimized with some of the newer automatic transmissions. Some like the JLs ZF 8-Speed are incredibly efficient and shifts super fast. Personally I think the 8-speed automatic transformed the JL into a much better driving Wrangler than the old JK. It's probably responsible for much of the performance improvements of a JL over the JK.

I honestly would just go for as many test drives as possible in as many engine configurations as possible and pick the one that you enjoy driving most. Just make sure you are comparing "like" models with the same transmissions, gear ratios and tire sizes. I would go as far as asking the dealer to NOT tell you what you are driving. That way you do not have any bias.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
No replacement for displacement no longer is valid. Has not been true for decades due to forced induction. You can add forced induction and electric assist now. Forced induction and /or electric assist has changed all the rules. Some brands have incorporated all of the technologies.

Then there is the modern automatic transmission. A transmission choice can make as much or more of difference than the engine choice. Drive train loss is minimized with some of the newer automatic transmissions. Some like the JLs ZF 8-Speed are incredibly efficient and shifts super fast. Personally I think the 8-speed automatic transformed the JL into a much better driving Wrangler than the old JK. It's probably responsible for much of the performance improvements of a JL over the JK.
Just so.

My JLU's predecessor, a Honda Ridgeline, had a normally aspirated 3.5L V6. It was a competent if unexciting engine with 245 horsepower and variable valve timing.

The Jeep's 2.0T is almost half the size of the Honda's engine, and boasts 25 more horsepower. Give the GME four some right foot, and the Ridgeline wouldn't see the Wrangler for dust.

Fair credit must be shared with the equally superlative ZF 850RE. I'll sometimes use the AutoStick feature in a [vain] attempt to obtain a better mpg figure than what's evident on the dash display when I just leave it in D.

The ZF's transmission control unit wins every time.

Sponsored

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque...That stupid little computer back-up battery for ESS just doesn't make any engineering sense. Coming from Germany cars I'm used to over engineering.

Anyone know which warranty eTorque & it's battery is covered under? Bumper to bumper or power train?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque...That stupid little computer back-up battery for ESS just doesn't make any engineering sense. Coming from Germany cars I'm used to over engineering.

Anyone know which warranty eTorque & it's battery is covered under? Bumper to bumper or power train?
I am not sure about today but the early ESS system and battery was problematic. I had a 2.0T with eTorque and had no issues. I would feel 100% confidant buying a engine with eTorque again. I would also have no hesitation buying another 2.0T or 3.6.

The eTorque system and battery is covered under the much longer Federal Emissions Warranty. Every State has a little different requirements for the emission warranty also. The warranty would be based on which State you purchased your JL in.

I noticed you are in NC. Here is some info on NC. Looks like 8 years /80K miles in NC? That's "if" you purchase in NC. Double check though.

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-art...anties-are-often-forgotten-or-overlooked.html

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I am not sure about today but the early ESS system and battery was problematic. I had a 2.0T with eTorque and had no issues. I would feel 100% confidant buying a engine with eTorque again. I would also have no hesitation buying another 2.0T or 3.6.

The eTorque system and battery is covered under the much longer Federal Emissions Warranty. Every State has a little different requirements for the emission warranty also. The warranty would be based on which State you purchased your JL in.

I noticed you are in NC. Here is some info on NC. Looks like 8 years /80K miles in NC? That's "if" you purchase in NC. Double check though.

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-art...anties-are-often-forgotten-or-overlooked.html
Great info, Thanks Bro 😎

F2F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sport Altitude 2.0L Turbo

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
The family CFO mandated I cannot buy a manual (which was my plan) so now I'm stuck trying to choose an engine. I'm glad this thread exists because this has thrown a monkey wrench in my plans.

Sponsored

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
I am currently on vacation in AK, and we rented a jeep with the 2.0. Having the 3.6 for over 3 years now, I can say I made the right choice. The 2.0 just sounds anemic to me, and I don’t appreciate the turbo lag. I do like the better mpgs I’m getting though.

our rental:

Jeep Wrangler JL How did you decide on your engine? 736D39BA-6186-4FCC-AB06-D0E5A84A5566

F6848DB1-832F-4130-9358-DF0FA647D874.jpeg

2C7F184E-B4C1-42D9-9104-DB454B38ECDC.jpeg

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I've owned a vehicle with the 3.6 and one of my work vehicles (ram 1500) has a 3.6. I don't like the power band of the 3.6. Flat ground it's fine but pull any grades and it's screaming 5000+rpm to maintain speed. The 2.0 doesn't.

Jeep seems to have it detuned in 4L which is disappointing, but some tuners claim to get rid of that problem.

392 wasn't available. Didn't want to deal with extra maintenance cost of the diesel.

F2F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sport Altitude 2.0L Turbo
A lot of people think the 2.0L has a lot of turbo lag, but it turns out it’s the crap throttle response. A pedal commander fixes that issue, but I’ve noticed the 3.6L seems to have better throttle response compared to the 2.0L.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I am currently on vacation in AK, and we rented a jeep with the 2.0. Having the 3.6 for over 3 years now, I can say I made the right choice. The 2.0 just sounds anemic to me, and I don’t appreciate the turbo lag. I do like the better mpgs I’m getting though.

our rental:

Jeep Wrangler JL How did you decide on your engine? 2C7F184E-B4C1-42D9-9104-DB454B38ECDC

Jeep Wrangler JL How did you decide on your engine? 2C7F184E-B4C1-42D9-9104-DB454B38ECDC

You also have 4.10’s in your Jeep, and 3.45’s in your rental.