Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I also have a Kuat Sherpa rack. Absolutely love it. Have owned Thule and Yakima racks through the years, and this one is my favorite. I did not buy the Kuat Pivot, which allows it swing away, but I did buy a hitch extension from them. Because of the rear tire, you'll need some sort of extension for just about all hitch racks.
Have the same rack. What is the size of the hitch extension?
Sponsored

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up getting a hitch adapter

61+W8521+NL._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

to use with my OneUp USA rack. It drops the rack just enough that in its lowest position the tailgate will swing open without catching. It was cheaper than getting the reverse plates for the OneUp and I would have needed a hitch extender to get the rack clear of the spare tire regardless.
Where did you get this and what size extension is it?

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I don't remember if mine was a Curt but here's a link to theirs:

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45797-Trailer-Adapter-Receiver/dp/B0876VRJ1Z/ref=sr_1_13?crid=WD271VEM9L3X&keywords=2+inch+drop+hitch+2+inch+receiver&qid=1679018446&s=instant-video&sprefix=2+inch+drop+hitch+2+inch+receiver,instant-video,117&sr=1-13-catcorr

The dimensions are on the left on the Amazon site. Keep in mind that my Jeep is a stock Sport S with 33s. I can't guarantee a different Jeep with a larger tire would clear.

Sponsored

IntegraRC

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
I got a RV rated hitch rack from Amazon from a manufacturer called Hyperax for $330. I wanted a RV rated one since they’re more solidly built. It definitely has enough clearance behind the spare tire. Even with the bike pedal positioned all the way up, there’s clearance. It’s also nice in that it all folds up and has a carrying handle. There’s also built in locks, although the hitch lock feels cheap. The downside is that the tailgate can only be opened a small bit before the spare tire hits the center post (even when folded down). For reference, the bike in the picture is a small frame with 29’s.

They also make non-RV rated carriers with similar dimensions at a lower price.

HYPERAX Volt RV lite RV Rated Hitch Mounted 2 Bike Rack Carrier for RV,Camper,Motorhome,Trailer,Toad with 2" Class 2 or Higher Tow Hitch Receivers -Fits Up to 2X55 lb Bikes with Up to 3" Fat Tires https://a.co/d/bZ4f05b

D07AC4A7-296D-4B07-AB45-47A4EC3AA596.jpeg

DE73A165-8FA8-4365-BB27-A61C1A9FB177.jpeg

EECCA38C-DAFA-4958-8E54-230C11CE5C37.jpeg

78A58549-43BE-4C4B-BCB3-B93555470906.jpeg

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
1Up definitely has been my favorite. I do miss the work stand on my Kuat but other than that, 1Up is superior in every way.

I didn’t want to use a hitch extension, as I take my rack on and off often and didn’t want to deal with messing with the extension and the clunky hitch stabilizer.
Fortunately it works without one. At least my gravel bike. With careful pedal placement (or take it off). Mountain bike handlebars may be a problem.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1681996748764

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1681996770276

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
[
I tried this one at first, since I prefer Curt quality and their powdercoat holds up. For example, I installed a Curt receiver hitch for that reason and for their better design and welding.

But this drop extension didn't work for my 1up hitch rack because it limits how far the 1up hitch can be inserted. Hadn't occurred to me before I ordered, but when you install this drop extension into the receiver, the lip of the Jeep's receiver hitch blocks the top of the new lower receiver rear opening. So the farthest you can install your rack hitch is just the length of that lower dropped extension--5". You can't slide the rack extension past there and out the open hole in the back of that dropped extension because the lip of the receiver hitch blocks part of that rear opening.

For my purposes that was too shallow and wanted to install the 1up hitch further in.

So I sent that drop extension back and ordered 1up's reverse plates that lower the rack from the stock receiver height.

Much cleaner install. Easier to install and remove the rack. 10 lbs Lighter as well, and I don't have to remember to remove the drop extension for trails for the clearance.

Matanzas

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought an Allen 400QR. It is a 4 bike rack for 200 bucks. Simple to install and operate, easy in and out of the hitch, and it folds down so the tailgate clears.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? IMG_0928

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? IMG_0920

Sponsored

nreese

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Rubicon Unlimited
[

I tried this one at first, since I prefer Curt quality and their powdercoat holds up. For example, I installed a Curt receiver hitch for that reason and for their better design and welding.

But this drop extension didn't work for my 1up hitch rack because it limits how far the 1up hitch can be inserted. Hadn't occurred to me before I ordered, but when you install this drop extension into the receiver, the lip of the Jeep's receiver hitch blocks the top of the new lower receiver rear opening. So the farthest you can install your rack hitch is just the length of that lower dropped extension--5". You can't slide the rack extension past there and out the open hole in the back of that dropped extension because the lip of the receiver hitch blocks part of that rear opening.

For my purposes that was too shallow and wanted to install the 1up hitch further in.

So I sent that drop extension back and ordered 1up's reverse plates that lower the rack from the stock receiver height.

Much cleaner install. Easier to install and remove the rack. 10 lbs Lighter as well, and I don't have to remember to remove the drop extension for trails for the clearance.
What are the reverse plates? Checked their website and don’t see them 😅

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Hi, getting a hitch extender to put a 1UP system on my jeep for fat bike carrying.

Can anybody help me guess what size of a pin I need with this extender (2" hitch diameter, 8" extension)? Is 5/8 the default size for these?

Also, if you can recommend the most secure pin (maybe with key/lock)?

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/45797

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Hi, getting a hitch extender to put a 1UP system on my jeep for fat bike carrying.

Can anybody help me guess what size of a pin I need with this extender (2" hitch diameter, 8" extension)? Is 5/8 the default size for these?

Also, if you can recommend the most secure pin (maybe with key/lock)?

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/45797
Curt is my favorite receiver hitch maker, but do some measurements on your set-up to check if you like how receiver adaptor will work out. I had this very 2" drop adapter and slid it fully into the receiver on my Jeep so it bottomed out on my receiver. Like most receivers, mine has a lip on the opening and that lip blocks how far you can slide in your rack since it will hit the receiver lip. If you don't want/need to slide the rack all the way in, it won't hit, or if you don't slide this 2" drop adaptor all the way into your receiver, then maybe it won't hit. Didn't work for me because I wanted to keep the rack close to the Jeep to minimize overhang.

Solved my drop clearance problem when I learned about the 1up reverse plates that dropped the rack a bit to clear the tailgate without needing the 2" drop adapter.

Since you too have a 1up rack, consider the reverse plates may be a better, cleaner, lighter way to carry bikes. You won't need the 2" drop adaptor so it may be cheaper. My 1up with reverse plates carries 2 fatbikes that clear a 35x12.5 spare.
Sponsored