MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This is my bike rack suggestion as an avid MTBer. I have had several bike racks on different wranglers but now with that I got a JL that has a rear camera I could no longer use the spare tire backpack style that I had on my JK. But I still wanted the bikes to swing away to allow for the cargo door to fully open. So I decided on a swing arm style carrier. BUT I didn't want the side to side movement and the noise of a platform rack. I found that KUAT makes a full set of stability racks and accessories that limit the movement of bike racks, bike swing arms and even receiver extensions. So I would recommend KUAT!

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike racks recommendations? 20210705_185714

I have a 3 part KUAT setup that is specific to my tire choice. I am running 37 KO2 which fits perfectly to my Mopar HD carrier & stock bumper with no spare tire relocator. I didn't want this large tire to be higher or farther away from the cargo door than necessary.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike racks recommendations? 20210705_185404

To start we all need a good receiver extension to get past the spare tire, without this most platform bike racks and swing arm will sit to close to the tire. The KUAT dropper extension is perfect because it comes with the stability treaded bolt insert inside the pin hole so it sits tight and doesn't allow movement. This extension can be used up position to serve as a spare tire stinger bar when rock crawling to protect the tire and cargo door from damage when sliding off a rock... The bar might get damaged but that will be cheaper than catching that spare tire on a rock...

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike racks recommendations? 20210705_182824
Jeep Wrangler JL Bike racks recommendations? 20210705_184056

With the extension in the down position, I can attach the KUAT swing arm so that the spare tire will clear the arm when I open the cargo door. The KUAT swing arm also has a stability ball bearing that is build into the shaft which eliminates movement when tightened.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike racks recommendations? 20210705_184605

Lastly I attach the KUAT platform bike rack (transfer2) which also has threaded insert for the bolt/Pin. Again this limits any side to side movement. With this setup I can fully open the spare tire and fully swing out the bikes with no weight on the cargo door. I can also partially reach into the cargo area without open the swing arm for quick access.

This setup works for me and my 2 door JLR. I don't a long wheelbase, so the added length of the bikes when everything is loaded still fits into most parking spaces. The swing arm sits perfectly level with the bumper when the stabilizer is tighten correctly. There is no noise whatsoever from the connections.

Kuat makes some qualify equipment.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike racks recommendations? 20210705_184708

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike racks recommendations? 20210706_103816

Here it is Fully Loaded after a 1000 miles trip to a Bike Park in NM. No issues with the rack system. Everything stayed nice & tight even on some easy offroad trails.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike racks recommendations? 20210709_122553_LI

I hope this helps someone... Cheers :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

SDJEEP4PAPA

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 On Order
This is my bike rack suggestion as an avid MTBer. I have had several bike racks on different wranglers but now with that I got a JL that has a rear camera I could no longer use the spare tire backpack style that I had on my JK. But I still wanted the bikes to swing away to allow for the cargo door to fully open. So I decided on a swing arm style carrier. BUT I didn't want the side to side movement and the noise of a platform rack. I found that KUAT makes a full set of stability racks and accessories that limit the movement of bike racks, bike swing arms and even receiver extensions. So I would recommend KUAT!

I have a 3 part KUAT setup that is specific to my tire choice. I am running 37 KO2 which fits perfectly to my Mopar HD carrier & stock bumper with no spare tire relocator. I didn't want this large tire to be higher or farther away from the cargo door than necessary.

To start we all need a good receiver extension to get past the spare tire, without this most platform bike racks and swing arm will sit to close to the tire. The KUAT dropper extension is perfect because it comes with the stability treaded bolt insert inside the pin hole so it sits tight and doesn't allow movement. This extension can be used up position to serve as a spare tire stinger bar when rock crawling to protect the tire and cargo door from damage when sliding off a rock... The bar might get damaged but that will be cheaper than catching that spare tire on a rock...

With the extension in the down position, I can attach the KUAT swing arm so that the spare tire will clear the arm when I open the cargo door. The KUAT swing arm also has a stability ball bearing that is build into the shaft which eliminates movement when tightened.

Lastly I attach the KUAT platform bike rack (transfer2) which also has threaded insert for the bolt/Pin. Again this limits any side to side movement. With this setup I can fully open the spare tire and fully swing out the bikes with no weight on the cargo door. I can also partially reach into the cargo area without open the swing arm for quick access.

This setup works for me and my 2 door JLR. I don't a long wheelbase, so the added length of the bikes when everything is loaded still fits into most parking spaces. The swing arm sits perfectly level with the bumper when the stabilizer is tighten correctly. There is no noise whatsoever from the connections.

Kuat makes some qualify equipment.

Here it is Fully Loaded after a 1000 miles trip to a Bike Park in NM. No issues with the rack system. Everything stayed nice & tight even on some easy offroad trails.

View attachment 485377

I hope this helps someone... Cheers :)
Thanks for posting all those pics... very helpful... I am leaning towards Kuat.. that looks to be pretty far away from your spare, wondering if you really needed the extension... Cheers

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting all those pics... very helpful... I am leaning towards Kuat.. that looks to be pretty far away from your spare, wondering if you really needed the extension... Cheers
The receiver hitch extension was only needed after I went with 37s. The swing arm fit perfectly with a 35inch tire. But with 37s the swing arm doesn't fit under the tire because the swingarm part sits on top of the receiver arm part. So this hi/low extension bar helps both arms clear the tire. It is longer for sure but with a 2 door it works plus I don't carry the rack all the time because its just extra weight.

It was a choice between getting a spare tire relocation bracket or an extension bar, so I choose to keep the spare tire tucked in tight & low for off-road stability and on-road visibility.

With Jeep Life there is always a compromise... Hehe :)

Here is pic without the swing arm portion. Can't open the cargo door at all but this is good for a quick bike shop run or if you don't need to access the cargo door on the trail.

20210719_191604.jpg

Last edited:

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I have the Kuat 3 bike hitch rack. It works out great with hitch extender as mentioned above.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike racks recommendations? 1626739441196

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I think 1UP is one of the best racks you can buy. I've had mine for 3+ years and use it every weekend and it looks like new. There are no plastic parts that will fade or crack.

Sponsored

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
How many bikes do you need to haul? I needed to move four and couldn't stomach the cost for the some of the racks mentioned. I came across a cargo carrier/bike rack that fit the bill perfectly.

Bike Rack

This is a well built carrier, but is pretty easy to deal with. It comes with some really cheap elastic straps, which I ditched after the first use. I use a cheap set of cam buckle straps instead, and with them it holds the bikes solid.

You cannot open the gate with the bikes in place, but four fit just fine on the back of my JLUR.

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
1Up was THE ONLY rack that can handle my Vintage Electric Bikes - amazing engineering on these racks - extremely happy on purchase

1Up.jpg

1Up -Bike.jpg

Red Thirteen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4door sting gray
Looking to see if anyone has the kuat pivot swingarm... wondering if it fits under the spare tire ( standard ? 33" ? )

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Looking to see if anyone has the kuat pivot swingarm... wondering if it fits under the spare tire ( standard ? 33" ? )
Yes, I have it. It fits under my spare 35” so you should be fine with 33”.

Red Thirteen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you Thomas... and thanks for Matt for the orig. post with the kuat.

See you on the mountain... on all fours how we like it.

Sponsored

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the this Kuat swing arm will work with with up to a 35" tire with no need for a spare tire relocation bracket or receiver hitch extension.
Once you go up to a 37 you will one or the other.

Red Thirteen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input Matt.., now I have to find one... seems stock is limited.

Red Thirteen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok... kaut and retailers are telling me..., next year? WTF welcome to the new world order.

anyone have an out for me??? website retailer, anyone.... anyone... Bueller?
Sponsored