Sponsored

Hinge corrosion - affects certain colors?

If you are experiencing hinge corrosion, what color is your Jeep?

• Total voters

rkeen81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon/2023 JLU Rubicon 4xe (Hydro Blue
Yeah you would think the tailgate also and the hood and windshield hinges. But then why the edges of the doors and the front edge of the hoods?
Mine only has the bubbling on the hood hinges. All others are perfect. 2019 Ocean Blue.
Sponsored

Vito92

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JL 2Door Willys
Not sure what paint color would have to do with it. It's galvanic corrosion caused by aluminum in the doors coming into contact with the steel of the hinges. It would be a lack of a barrier coating between the two i.e. the primer. I still don't know why they haven't just placed a thin rubber gasket or similar between the two and been done with it.

Maybe perhaps the pigments within the paint and whatever the chemistry is with the primer and metal. Paint can get very very complex. Just my thoughts

Mines on the windshield but it's seems like it could be over spray to I'm not sure

Mike_Hawk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GOBI JLUR 3.6
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

What hood is fiberglass?
And the hinges nor the tail gate are steel.

These are extremely strong magnets millimeters beside my tail hinge.
20220822_171147.jpg
Interesting... Isn't the whole issue about the hinges being steel and the doors being aluminum, or is that totally not how things are?

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I recently (3 weeks ago) picked up a new 2022 Gobi Rubicon and the hinges have a thin gasket between them and the doors. I'm not sure if this is a new thing they started doing, but it's definitely visible.

Oddly enough, there aren't gaskets on the hood hinges.

EDIT: After looking into it, there aren't gaskets on the hood or back gate because 1) the hood is fiberglass stamped steel, and 2) the back gate is steel which is the same as the hinges.

EDIT 2: It turns out I was looking at a replica hood that was fiberglass, the original is stamped steel. I'm confused on what material the hinges are now that someone posted a picture with magnets next to the rear hinges
Can you take a picture of this. I want to compare it with my Willys Xtreme Recon in Gobi to see if I have the gasket your talking about.

Sponsored

Mike_Hawk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GOBI JLUR 3.6
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

Can you take a picture of this. I want to compare it with my Willys Xtreme Recon in Gobi to see if I have the gasket your talking about.
It's a bit hard to see in the pictures, but there's a slight gap and if you look really closely in person you can see a super thin layer of foam.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hinge corrosion - affects certain colors? 1661205985835

Jeep Wrangler JL Hinge corrosion - affects certain colors? 1661206017092

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
It's a bit hard to see in the pictures, but there's a slight gap and if you look really closely in person you can see a super thin layer of foam.

I'll take a look. Hopefully it's there.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have very little on one of my hinges so far! But I did let jeepcares know about it a year ago and also my dealership. although I won't go the dealership route when it gets bad I'll take it to a good auto body shop for the paint work and I'll do the prep/gasket before hand.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have very little on one of my hinges so far! But I did let jeepcares know about it a year ago and also my dealership. although I won't go the dealership route when it gets bad I'll take it to a good auto body shop for the paint work and I'll do the prep/gasket before hand.
Before mine bubbled or chipped, I did this.

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Interesting... Isn't the whole issue about the hinges being steel and the doors being aluminum, or is that totally not how things are?
Got a magnet David? It's easy enough to check out. The hinges on my 2020 MY are non-ferrous.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Before mine bubbled or chipped, I did this.
Now that's what I'm talkin bout!!! Why wait for FCA to take a turd on your rig when you can take the matter into your own hands.....yeah I get it $ but time is dollars and they waste too much of mine!

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Now that's what I'm talkin bout!!! Why wait for FCA to take a turd on your rig when you can take the matter into your own hands.....yeah I get it $ but time is dollars and they waste too much of mine!
I did it on my JK back in 07 with Duplicolour bedliner. Pretty sure I was the first to do it. Lol. It was solid on it 5 years later when I sold it. This time went with colour matched LineX

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
When the time comes I'll be borrowing your Idea!!!! Great info Thanks!

Mike_Hawk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GOBI JLUR 3.6
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

Got a magnet David? It's easy enough to check out. The hinges on my 2020 MY are non-ferrous.
Interesting, if that's the case, why even add the gasket if it's just aluminum on aluminum?!
Sponsored