AnonCanadian

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL 4XE Sahara Unlimited
Hello,

getting the hinge corrosion resolved hopefully this week.

the body shop the dealer sends it to only covers the repair for 90 days since it’s corrosion.

is this the normal? Just hope that if it comes back, it comes back before warranty is up?

thanks in advance
Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Hello,

the body shop the dealer sends it to only covers the repair for 90 days since it’s corrosion.

is this the normal? Just hope that if it comes back, it comes back before warranty is up?

thanks in advance
No. Talk to the service writer or manager about it. That is not how it should be handled.

OP
OP

AnonCanadian

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. Talk to the service writer or manager about it. That is not how it should be handled.
they meant if they repair it. Like if the Jody shop repairs it for me, it’s only covered for 90 days. Is that normal?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
No, your corrosion warranty isn't negated, just because they had to repair it. That's why I recommend you discuss this with your service department at the dealership. It may be something that the body shop is doing, that the dealership is unaware of.

OP
OP

AnonCanadian

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, your corrosion warranty isn't negated, just because they had to repair it. That's why I recommend you discuss this with your service department at the dealership. It may be something that the body shop is doing, that the dealership is unaware of.
okay thanks for clarifying. I will talk to them. It’s their body shop lol

have you had the issue fixed on yours? Some body shops I hear give lifetime guarantees?

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic

have you had the issue fixed on yours? Some body shops I hear give lifetime guarantees?
I've had quite a bit of corrosion issues. It seems to keep coming back. But all has been covered by warranty.

OP
OP

AnonCanadian

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had quite a bit of corrosion issues. It seems to keep coming back. But all has been covered by warranty.
How have the paint matches been? How long is it covered? We do high mileage which is our concern lol

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
How have the paint matches been? How long is it covered? We do high mileage which is our concern lol
Mine is Punk'n which is pretty hard to match. The warranty for paint is supposed to be 5/60k but the regional warranty manager has been good about saying that it should last that long after every paint job.

Criztaztrophe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Took my 18 up to my local dealer yesterday and found out mine expires July 5th! So he's going to get me in for repairs soon. Said it has close to 13k worth of corrosion damage(guessing thats parts and labor). Does that sound d right? Either way they are replacing all 8 hinges and all the damage on the hood and a couple body panel spots.

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
might get a 2018 JL Rubicon
I’ve got nothing useful to add to this convo but I saw this on Reddit the other day.
Jeep Wrangler JL Getting hinge corrosion resolved IMG_3774

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .

True

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Took my 18 up to my local dealer yesterday and found out mine expires July 5th! So he's going to get me in for repairs soon. Said it has close to 13k worth of corrosion damage(guessing thats parts and labor). Does that sound d right? Either way they are replacing all 8 hinges and all the damage on the hood and a couple body panel spots.
Sounds WAAAAAAY too high. I live in Massachusetts where costs are typically high and was quoted approximately $1k/door if they needed a total repaint (so $6k worst case all doors/hood/tailgate need a repaint), I think the new doors are 500-800 so say worst case every door, tailgate, and hood needed to be replaced AND painted still not at 13k. Not saying it would be cheap, but 13k sounds like a total repaint of the Jeep.

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
RETIRED!
The total for the corrosion repairs (all new hinges on the 4 doors, hood & tailgate) came to $6324.96. The work was done by a private body shop. It took about 12 days and I got it back a week ago. They did an awesome job!

MrSir

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Be sure to check your hood and tailgate. They’re also aluminum. I just got my 2020 back. All 4 doorsand hood needed to be done. 8 hinges replaced. No corrosion on the tailgate.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Hello,

thanks in advance
I would run away from that body shop as fast as possible if it's an option. 90 days warranty tells me that they aren't confident in their ability to properly prep/repair the parts to prevent it happening again.
Sponsored