HELP - unsafe steering issues

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Hi guys, in cold weather my steering has been locking up especially on left hand turns. It's especially cold right now in Concord, New Hampshire and I just experienced it locking up in both directions. This happens after I run the auto start for 15 minutes so the engine should be warm. It scared the crap out of me today, leaving me stranded in the middle of a road blocking traffic. I would never put my wife in this vehicle. I called the local dealership, When I drove it for another 10 minutes at 30 mph it tried to pull me all over the street. Eventually it loosens up.

My vehicle is a 2022 JLU Rubicon extreme recon with the factory steering box. I bought it in January 2022 and it currently has just over 15,000 miles on it.

My front axle has been replaced with a dynatrac Pro-Rock 44 and I am on 37-in tires. However, this issue only seems to happen in cold weather. My steering wheel will crank fully to the left with a lot of feedback but the Jeep will keep driving straight as an example.

Others seem to have similar issues in these forums.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ked-up-when-going-around-a-curve.39526/page-6

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-binds-in-cold-weather.38289/

My dealer took a look at it and no surprise couldn't replicate the issue because it's not as cold. What they told me is that even replacing the steering box won't fix it because contrary to pop your belief, the steering box isn't fully electric and that there is some gel/fluid in there which can start to solidify in colder weather.

So now I have a relatively new vehicle that's basically not safe to drive in colder conditions. I'm not sure how this is okay. The dealership basically told me that there's trade-offs with every type of steering and that I needed to accept it.

I did ping @JeepCares and I'm waiting for a resolution.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Wondering if water or something is freezing in the lines or pump.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It is a software problem. Temperature is a factor and there is an error that occurs that causes this. Oil doesn’t freeze.

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
It is a software problem. Temperature is a factor and there is an error that occurs that causes this. Oil doesn’t freeze.
Im thinking software that is causing traction control to initiate.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Are you still using your stock steering stabilizer?
No the entire front end has been swapped out for 13,000 of the 16,000 miles.

Dynatrac ProRock44 with a Rusty's Tie Rod/Drag Link and fox steering stabilizer.

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Steering effort and traction control are unrelated.
If I have brakes kicking in on the right, pulling me to the right, wouldn't that make my steering wheel feel like I had to fight the Jeep to keep it straight by cranking left?

I am dropping it back at the dealer overnight on Monday. I'm hoping that they can replicate the issue first thing in the morning on Tuesday.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Do you have traction control lights flashing at you when this happens,?

Sponsored

AncientCityJL

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR and 2022 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
amateur tattoo artist and semi-professional race car driver
If I have brakes kicking in on the right, pulling me to the right, wouldn't that make my steering wheel feel like I had to fight the Jeep to keep it straight by cranking left?

I am dropping it back at the dealer overnight on Monday. I'm hoping that they can replicate the issue first thing in the morning on Tuesday.

Yeah, Fur. And if were ABS, you'd hear the audible when it kicked in as well.

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Do you have traction control lights flashing at you when this happens,?
Nope, no lights.

I'm familiar with that one going off after bending a drag link end and having my steering wheel very canted.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The power steering pump and control module are one part, at worst, it needs replaced. At best, software update.

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
The power steering pump and control module are one part, at worst, it needs replaced. At best, software update.
Do you know what the part numbers are by any chance?