Updated front trackbar with stiffer bushings coming to help cure STEERING issues 68394087AA

1. californiajeeping

californiajeeping Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    #1 Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    Note: The new and improved track bar has been available as of late February 2019. So it can be ordered now.

Star Case Number S1819000003 about steering problems was just updated on Feb 26, 2019. See screen grabs of the part about the new JL track bar with stiffer bushings and the new toe info below. The old track bar number was 68317849AA. The new track bar part number is 68394087AA.

starcase JL track bar.png

starcase Toe.png
    And here is the toe spec info -

toe spec.png

Here are just a few of the steering related threads.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/ (over 3,000 posts)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ring-is-good-tight-no-wander-no-wobble.21691/

Helpful links

Original version of this Star case from Oct 2018 - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243

JL Torque Specs - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rangler-jl-steering-related-components.18510/

JL Toe Specs - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...heel-alignment-specs-toe-caster-camber.17832/

FULL ISSUE BULLETIN BELOW:

S1819000003 Feb 2019 updated version-1.jpg
    S1819000003 Feb 2019 updated version-2.jpg
    S1819000003 Feb 2019 updated version-3.jpg

PDF attached:

Attached Files:

poolman, Bearded_Dragon, JAY and 3 others like this.
  2. Hgrace

Hgrace Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Harry
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC. Chevy 2500 HD
    Liked:
    Well this looks promising for many. But will it become a National recall?

3. NFRs2000NYC

NFRs2000NYC Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    The problem is the trackbar is hollow and weak, as is the draglink, and can't handle the job, especially with larger tires. Replace those this solid quality parts and you'll be golden. Dont waste your money on stabilizers.

Jschmadeke likes this.
  4. fat_head

fat_head Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport
    Liked:
    Any chance you can post all the pages of the STAR case? All I see is one page.

5. SpringsJL

SpringsJL Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Cage
    Vehicle(s):
    18 JLU
    Liked:
    Will aftermarket still be a better option? Don’t want to wait around for this to recall

6. OP
    OP
    californiajeeping

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    #6 Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019 at 12:43 PM
    If the dealer feels the new track bar will fix the problem, then it would be covered under warranty.

About aftermarket parts, I spoke with a few different dealers and asked them how it would affect my warranty if I put on aftermarket parts, such as a beefier track bar, drag link, etc. All of them said depends - for example, if your engine or A/C has a problem, and you installed a drag link, no problem. If I installed an aftermarket track bar or drag link and the problem was steering box related, they would either refuse to look at it or charge me for the steering box and labor to install it since the steering parts can directly affect each other. There are several posts throughout the forums with others who stated the same thing.

For example, someone posted that they put on an aftermarket steering stabilizer and the dealer refused to address the steering problems. I quoted the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and they gave an example - if a bad OEM steering stabilizer can cause problems and make a steering box go bad, so could an aftermarket steering stabilizer. Sure, you could take them to court to proceed, but that is expensive and once you mention lawyer or court (which they like because that is an instant way they can kick the can to someone else and get you off their backs), they kick it up to FCA corporate and then it takes forever to go to the next step. Or you could drive 3 hours to a dealer who is more aftermarket parts friendly, unless someone lucked out and their nearest dealer is aftermarket parts friendly. And of course, you could always put the OEM part back on before you bring it to the dealer, but what a pain. Here is an example of dust voiding warranty.

Roky likes this.
  7. fat_head

fat_head Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport
    Liked:
    I have my eye, and in some cases, have already purchased some aftermarket suspension parts that I have yet to install because of the wandering steering problem. I want them to sort it out ALL STOCK before I start spending money replacing/upgrading parts. The dealer I'm working looks for any and every opportunity to get out from under warranty work.

DanW and californiajeeping like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    californiajeeping

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    I sent it to Jay / forum administrator to post in the TSB, Issues, Recall thread earlier today. It should be uploaded in the next day or so. It is exactly the same as the original star case S1819000003 in the TSB, Issues, Recall thread except for the part that I posted in this thread and the date is Feb 26, 2019, instead of October 10, 2018. They updated the same star case instead of creating a new one. Bad idea since dealers will say "yeah, I know about that one". Yes, but they won't realize it changed since they don't get proactively notified plus the changes aren't on the first page.

Birchrun, Euro JEEP and fat_head like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    californiajeeping

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    Have you tried changing the toe-in to 1/8" to solve the wandering problem? Every dealer seems to say it is in spec and won't fine tune it - but now you can print Star case S1819000003, highlight the part about the new toe-in recommendations, and wave it in their face.

Roky likes this.
  10. Mattyp1214

Mattyp1214 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    Black 2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    I didnt want to wait and went ahead and got yeti HD. Thing is a beast. I'm sure new trackbar still won't even come close to this thing.

SteadyC and xeon like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    californiajeeping

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    Here is another thread supporting what you said about aftermarket parts and warranty - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...termarket-steering-components-warranty.24841/

12. Mattyp1214

Mattyp1214 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    Black 2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    If you are having a lot of issues I'd let them try and fix it first. I did not have any issues other than bumps at high speed would throw my wheel off and handling became pretty rough. Put on track bar to help.
    For the steering issues I'd start with the steering box replacement and stabilizer together. Seems to be the ticket for a lot of folks if it is really loose.

californiajeeping likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    californiajeeping

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    Makes sense, and someone in a post a few days ago said their dealer via FCA indicated the bad date code steering stabilizers were causing steering boxes damage.

14. Rdmitch

Rdmitch Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 wrangler Sahara, ford transit 250, Chevy equinox
    Liked:
    Mechanical designer and contractor
    new track bar and steering box should get you about 60% better

15. OP
    OP
    californiajeeping

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    #15 Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2019
    Also, there is a new and improved OEM Link Rod as of mid Feb 2019 - it connects to the pitman arm. The new OEM Mopar part number is 68258760AD.

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 10.50.59 AM.png