Sponsored

Steering issues....solved!

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Thanks for your posts.
I don't understand why this problem hasn't been resolved by Jeep for everyone with steering issues.
because accountants. it's all about the monies. fca understands the problem but doesn't want to pay to replace all the bad boxes.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Vehicles of all prices have issues. And the wrangler isn't a $50k vehicle. If you have a $50k wrangler it's still a $30k vehicle with $20k worth of options. It might sound like semantics, but it isn't.
What?

I have a computer that with options/upgrades for bigger hard drives and monitor and memory and wireless keyboard cost me $900. Are you telling me that I have a $300 computer?

i have a house that has a $20k pool, and upgraded kitchen, and marble baths. I paid $200k for it. are You telling me that it’s somehow only a $75k house With $125k of upgrades and therefore is ok to be built with straw?

oh, and if jeep decided to do away with all the options and rolled everything into the base price of the vehicle next week — all the options were no longer options—- everybody needed to spend $50k, is it still semantics to call it a $50k vehicle Since last week it was a “$30k vehicle plus $20k of upgrades”? Or is it a $50k vehicle this week?

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
because accountants. it's all about the monies. fca understands the problem but doesn't want to pay to replace all the bad boxes.
God, I hope that you are wrong, but I struggle to understand how, if it is a manufacturing/quality defect with the boxes that this problem has not be solutioned already by Jeep and it’s engineers.

a Jeep is bought back for steering issues. FCA folks drive it and say ‘holy cow” and then tear the Jeep Apart. To find the problem. Another a Jeep, another tear down. IF there is an issue with the box manufacturing process/quality Jeep must have some hint of what it is after looking at dozens of problem boxes.

i Truely don’t understand the issues here. I just don’t get it.

Last edited:

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
What?

I have a computer that with options/upgrades for bigger hard drives and monitor and memory and wireless keyboard cost me $900. Are you telling me that I have a $300 computer?

i have a house that has a $20k pool, and upgraded kitchen, and marble baths. I paid $200k for it. are You telling me that it’s somehow only a $75k house With $125k of upgrades and therefore is ok to be built with straw?
It's not ok to build a house with straw, nor is a strawman argument valid here. But I suppose you know that.

But since you ask, a shitty $20k pool likely devalues the house due to liability more than offsetting what little value the pool has.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It's not ok to build a house with straw, nor is a strawman argument valid here. But I suppose you know that.

But since you ask, a shitty $20k pool likely devalues the house due to liability more than offsetting what little value the pool has.
pools may devalue $200k houses just like $50k Jeeps (“luxury segment”) that don’t drive straight might be devalued. True.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicles of all prices have issues. And the wrangler isn't a $50k vehicle. If you have a $50k wrangler it's still a $30k vehicle with $20k worth of options. It might sound like semantics, but it isn't.
Good luck splitting hairs with someone who just paid $60,000 for a brand-new Jeep that drives like shit. But this only highlights FCA’s infinite greed in raising prices non-stop will neglecting to address well-known problems.

Ultimately, it shouldn’t matter how much we paid; we all are customers and deserve to be treated as such.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Good luck explaining your “nuance” to someone who just paid $60,000 for a brand-new Jeep that drives like shit.

Ultimately, it shouldn’t matter how much we paid; we all are customers and deserve to be treated as such.
I agree, they should drive well. Any vehicle at any price should drive straight but of course you are the person citing the price. Paying $60k for a $30k vehicle isn't a "nuance". FCA found fools to part with their money.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, they should drive well. Any vehicle at any price should drive straight but of course you are the person citing the price. Paying $60k for a $30k vehicle isn't a "nuance". FCA found fools to part with their money.
“Found?” Why the past tense...? “Finds” is more appropriate. ;) Wrangler sales haven’t really slowed down, prices keep going up, and the steering issue hasn’t been fixed.

BTW, we all are in this together. Just because your Jeep or mine doesn’t have a crummy steering, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect us. FCA’s negligence and dealers’ indifference affect us all.

PS - this is why I refused to pay anywhere close to MSRP for my JL. I bought one for 22% off. As much as I like my Jeep, to me it isn’t worth anywhere near the prices FCA wants for them.

conmax

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler JLUR
once the new Bronco is out and if it doesn't wander, many will buy it instead of the Wrangler. i know i will even though i may take a beating offloading my 2019 Rubicon.

Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
may be cheaper than the eventual lawsuit after they go through all the exec‘s emails discussing what they should do:whew:

well, it was just the steering - what could go wrong

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Couldn’t care less about the vehicle value.

does anyone know of the new box is any different than adjusting the steering box? Or is there also calving in the box?

the price of the AE box is now 250$ from a Mopar authorized dealer. My time is worth something. I may just replace myself.

dealer already denied my claim unless I want to return vehicle to stock and remove steer smarts linkage.

anyone know the Mopar estimated install time for a steering box?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Couldn’t care less about the vehicle value.

does anyone know of the new box is any different than adjusting the steering box? Or is there also calving in the box?

the price of the AE box is now 250$ from a Mopar authorized dealer. My time is worth something. I may just replace myself.

dealer already denied my claim unless I want to return vehicle to stock and remove steer smarts linkage.

anyone know the Mopar estimated install time for a steering box?
It is probably less time to remove the steer smarts versus swap the box.

I would personally remove the SS setup, put the factory stuff on, and take it in and tell them "fix it"

The AE box is not the end of the line, as it also needs revised firmware for the steering pump which is a hard DIY.

Plus, when the AE steering doesn't solve your problem, then the dealer is on the hook still. If you DIY it they are off the hook.

Or if you just want to be done get the PSC base kit, be happy, and take the old steering box and throw it through the window of your dealership on a Sunday night as an act of public expression.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It is probably less time to remove the steer smarts versus swap the box.

I would personally remove the SS setup, put the factory stuff on, and take it in and tell them "fix it"

The AE box is not the end of the line, as it also needs revised firmware for the steering pump which is a hard DIY.

Plus, when the AE steering doesn't solve your problem, then the dealer is on the hook still. If you DIY it they are off the hook.

Or if you just want to be done get the PSC base kit, be happy, and take the old steering box and throw it through the window of your dealership on a Sunday night as an act of public expression.
When I mentioned the star case that referenced the replacement of the steering box and system update, they told me that didn’t apply to my VIN. My fear is taking steer smarts stuff off and they still won’t replace the steering box. They even said the first fix is the steering damper, which they already replaced.

but I don’t disagree with your train of thought. My other “plan” is to leave it as is for now and wait for an actual fox at some point. Some have had steering box replaced and it did nothing, like you said.

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
When I mentioned the star case that referenced the replacement of the steering box and system update, they told me that didn’t apply to my VIN. My fear is taking steer smarts stuff off and they still won’t replace the steering box. They even said the first fix is the steering damper, which they already replaced.

but I don’t disagree with your train of thought. My other “plan” is to leave it as is for now and wait for an actual fox at some point. Some have had steering box replaced and it did nothing, like you said.
I like the idea of waiting for an actual fix. I wonder if you could order a new box and then test it and send it back before its installed, and then rinse and repeat until you get a decent box.
Sponsored