Sponsored

Hard top wind noise

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Got my JLUR (3 Piece Hardtop) last night and drove it around and today took it out to Red Rocks. Got up to 75mph and didn't hear anything that sounded out of the ordinary. Had the radio on volume 10 (w/ Alpine sub), so not very loud, and no noise whatsoever :jk:
Good to hear...

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Every Jeep has wind noise, but this isn’t the normal “wind noise”.... Dealer can’t figure it out either...see video.... @JeepCares
Thats the one I get, in heavy cross from the left, so the drivers side only. Not on right side of vehicle at all. Mine is less loud, and not as frequent as this one shows. But roughly the same thing. I have yet to worry about it, because its only in strong wind. However, its probably never been as windy in Maryland as it has for the past 2 months!!!!!!! I did take my tops off just to check shit out and placed them back really square (not that they weren't). I inspected every seal and gasket and compared one side to the other, nothing really stood out to me as being off..... Whatever is causing the "Crosswind Whistle" is probably very minor. ( imho).

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Every Jeep has wind noise, but this isn’t the normal “wind noise”.... Dealer can’t figure it out either...see video.... @JeepCares
Is it only in crosswinds/heavy winds??

Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Not exactly wind noise but I did notice rain noise today, as it was my first time driving the JLU in heavy rain.

At first I thought it could have been the rain on the hard top, which was loud in my TJ, but this was a different frequency and only occurred while driving 30+ mph. I think I narrowed it down to the rain hitting the cowl at the bottom of the windshield, but still unsure. The cowl in my TJ was metal and the JL is plastic which seems to be louder when rain pelts it at speed, but again I'm not positive.

It may just be me but did anybody else notice strange/louder than normal rain noise?

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
When putting the freedom panels back on, which is supposed to go on first? Does it matter?

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
When putting the freedom panels back on, which is supposed to go on first? Does it matter?
It matters. Take the driver's side off first then the passenger side. Reverse for install. To install, put the passenger one first then the driver's side.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I’d be slapping 2” masking tape on every gap, seal, and crease I could find until that stopped. It would drive me so nuts I’d have to take a day off work to figure that out!

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
Testing mine would be a pain, I guess i could keep some tape in the jeep and when the Maryland Jet stream is in effect tape off a corner and see what happens....

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I’d be slapping 2” masking tape on every gap, seal, and crease I could find until that stopped. It would drive me so nuts I’d have to take a day off work to figure that out!
OH hel# NO i would be taking it back to the dealer and leaving it. I would tell them dont even think about calling me till you gt the noise gone. A brand new 50,000 jeep Hel#no. do they have to find that. you have any lights anywhere

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
From what I’ve read there’s two types of noise; a resonating vibrating hardtop and actual leaking, rushing in air, noisy whooshing sound; which is it? I would like to know and the various dealer technician’s will most definitely have to know to hopefully excecute a fix.

Maybe the front freedom panels where made too flimsy, the reviewers said they are much lighter. Maybe the new windshield angle is causing an unexpected aerodynamic turbulence.

Maybe the 2 door having a smaller hardtop will not vibrate like jercibarg states above with the larger 4 door.
That sounds just like the noise everyone gets when they first put on a big light bar across the wind shield. I put door trim on the vents on the back of it and the noise go away. So if anyone has a light bar on a JK and it whistles put some door trim on the vents on the back of the bar light and it will stop

mbc79708

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, 2017 F359 K-ranch FX4, 2016 lexus
It’s not about it being a “Jeep thing” it’s about people trying to buy into a aesthetic or scene without fully considering the conciquences. Ask people like me who have been loyal to the brand since high school. Yea we’ll point out the short comings and where it could be better. But also appreciate the True spirit of the vehicle. Complaining about wind noise is just annoying and kind of shows yr hand...
My JK did not have the wind noise of the JLU it is not a Jeep thing and Jeep is working on a fix ! You need to find something to do with your hand it is showing .

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
It matters. Take the driver's side off first then the passenger side. Reverse for install. To install, put the passenger one first then the driver's side.
Freedom panels not being put back on would not cause a noise like that
Sponsored