Sponsored

Hard top wind noise

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I respectfully disagree with this statement. I think the Jeep is considerably louder on the highway than something like a Ford Edge. Most modern crossovers, even ones from mainstream brands, are pretty quiet.
A new JLU Sport hardtop is significantly louder than something like a GMC Acadia. You can talk to your passenger but the radio at normal volumes is significantly affected. I don't think it is any big deal for everyday driving but I think it would get on your nerves on a long trip. I'm just starting to research headliners.
Sponsored

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I had a light truck (Toyota Tacoma...that I loved). Now, I have a soft top Sport S with Terra Grapler tires and I think the road noise is about the same. Probably a little louder than the Tacoma....but not by much.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
If you really REALLY want to reduce your top's wind noise, you could get the MyTop. Their triple layered top's DB levels have been tested to be quieter than a hardtop, but they are pretty pricey, because they also double as a powered convertible top

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Joining the crew with this one. Gonna try and get the dealership to correct it. One of the earlier threads stated to just fix it yourself but, IMO that doesn't correct the deficiency at its source. Appt on 20JUL.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A new JLU Sport hardtop is significantly louder than something like a GMC Acadia. You can talk to your passenger but the radio at normal volumes is significantly affected. I don't think it is any big deal for everyday driving but I think it would get on your nerves on a long trip. I'm just starting to research headliners.
Last year drove my hardtop Jeep on a 4,500 mile trip over 5 weeks. No issue with noise other than it is a Wrangler with removeable roofs so I don't expect library silence or other car silence.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Replying to my own post...
I got back recently from a 1900 mile road trip. The JLU wind noise didn't bother me on the trip, I quickly got used to it, but it does affect the ability to listen to the radio at normal volume levels.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Don't let people tell you that that's normal cuz it's a Jeep I when people say that's normal you just got to live with this or that cuz the Jeep not true I took mine to one dealer and they told me that got another dealer they took the freedom panels off put some special lubrication on around some spots. Rhythm noise quiet as can be these new JL are 20 year old Jeeps that you have to just live with it they've got things pretty well made now my window is completely gone I have no problems sorry about my punctuation but I'm using voice text and I can't go back and correct it in the situation I'm at right now

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
I figured mine out... very easy fix... open the door, look at the channel on the windshield frame, there’s a small gap runs down the window, I added electrical tape running down and it’s all quiet now I’ll take a pic

F427ED6A-29DD-47AF-873C-B72F9432C015.jpeg
Interesting that the gap you have between the windshield and the "hoop" is not there. On my 19 there is about a 1/4" gap between the hoop and the windshield frame. Put my tape over this gap and the wind noise abated to the point where I could hear tire noise and the radio was set to 15 and could be heard at highway speeds and with a 20 mph or so cross wind.

IowaJLUR

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon 2.0L
Anyone know this part number - driver side door corner window seal? My JLUR sounded great until this flew off on the highway!
Jeep Wrangler JL Hard top wind noise 1BD768D6-50CE-4CDF-8596-3F2F2026F2D6

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Anyone know this part number - driver side door corner window seal? My JLUR sounded great until this flew off on the highway!
Any dealer should be able to look up the part number and order it for you.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Part# depends on your paint color .. different part# for different Duck tape colors.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
It’s 100% not a Jeep thing. I’ve owned a 2010 and 2014 JKUR’s and the were very quiet compared to my 2018 JLUR. I just fixed it myself by using strips of painters tape over each gap on the hard top 1 at a time starting with the front window working my way back until the noise goes went away, the. I replaced that seal.

Last edited:

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
next time please buy an audi :CWL:
Audi A8
You really cannot hear the engine in the Audi A8 until you punch the pedal and then you get a satisfying sporty sound that you do not mind hearing. Audi is a truly quiet cabin thanks to an abundance of sound deadening material, and dual-pane acoustic glass. But hey, if you are selling a car with a 14-speaker Bose surround system as standard equipment, you pay attention to cabin quietness. Smart design and rock-solid fit make the inside of the Audi A8 a perfect place to listen to your favorite tunes.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
next time please buy an audi :CWL:
Audi A8
You really cannot hear the engine in the Audi A8 until you punch the pedal and then you get a satisfying sporty sound that you do not mind hearing. Audi is a truly quiet cabin thanks to an abundance of sound deadening material, and dual-pane acoustic glass. But hey, if you are selling a car with a 14-speaker Bose surround system as standard equipment, you pay attention to cabin quietness. Smart design and rock-solid fit make the inside of the Audi A8 a perfect place to listen to your favorite tunes.
My wind noise was certainly not a jeep thing - my son’s JL didn’t make this noise. This was clearly a manufacturing defect/anomaly
Sponsored