First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
A proper traffic light would of prevented this
I agree, the problem is this "loop" it is half a loop was designed as a bypass around town adding a light would take an act of Congress lol. Then people would be running the light and blind siding a person not breaking the law. Hind sight 20/20 thank goodness cars are safer now days to minimize the dumb human factor. I am not calling the other driver dumb but human race as a whole lol.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I agree, the problem is this "loop" it is half a loop was designed as a bypass around town adding a light would take an act of Congress lol. Then people would be running the light and blind siding a person not breaking the law. Hind sight 20/20 thank goodness cars are safer now days to minimize the dumb human factor. I am not calling the other driver dumb but human race as a whole lol.
giphy.gif

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
You're welcome, and I'm glad to hear they're getting it back to you so quick. Also, remember that the diminished value claim is separate from the damage claim. It's a bit of a hassle, and some agents don't even know it's a thing, but it will cover the lost value of having a crash on the vehicle record.
Two tips for you regarding diminished value:
1) I would recommend is to have one of your DV quotes (you typically need 3) to be done by the dealership that you'll likely buy your next Jeep from. That way when it comes time to sell they can't say it's worth oodles less because of the damage since they've already told you how much less they'll offer.
2) Take whatever the payout for DV is and put it in the bank and keep it until you sell the Jeep or put it on the loan. DON"T use it to buy mods, or other random stuff. That lost value is there, so if you don't use the money to cover it, you'll eat that loss when you eventually sell the Jeep.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.... Hind sight 20/20 thank goodness cars are safer now days to minimize the dumb human factor. I am not calling the other driver dumb but human race as a whole lol.
Yeah, stupid mistakes lead to most crashes. And it's not that the driver's are dumb, or unintelligent. Many times the stupid mistakes are the result of carelessness, complacency, or over confidence in the car/driver ability. Dumb just the same.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thecritter

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You're welcome, and I'm glad to hear they're getting it back to you so quick. Also, remember that the diminished value claim is separate from the damage claim. It's a bit of a hassle, and some agents don't even know it's a thing, but it will cover the lost value of having a crash on the vehicle record.
Two tips for you regarding diminished value:
1) I would recommend is to have one of your DV quotes (you typically need 3) to be done by the dealership that you'll likely buy your next Jeep from. That way when it comes time to sell they can't say it's worth oodles less because of the damage since they've already told you how much less they'll offer.
2) Take whatever the payout for DV is and put it in the bank and keep it until you sell the Jeep or put it on the loan. DON"T use it to buy mods, or other random stuff. That lost value is there, so if you don't use the money to cover it, you'll eat that loss when you eventually sell the Jeep.
Lots of good info. I have been lucky 40 yrs old never had to deal with insurance companies other than pay them monthly thank You again.

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Your Jeep doesn't look that bad after such an accident! I'm shocked after watching that video that stuff wasn't crumpled up front. Glad you aren't hurt bad.
That’s why the Jeep gets a bad crash test rating... because it doesn’t crumpled. If it was bad enough to bruise a chest, it’s bad enough to do damage to your organs! A good car with a good crumple zone would not have left the same bruising. It’s not a good thing the Jeep looks so good.

Danelain

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur and 2006 lj rubicon
Had someone pull out in front of us speed limit is 60 its a bad intersection and i was running about 50. Totaled her car Toyota something, the jeep is at the body shop being checked out. Overall very impressed wife had some minor bruising from seat belt son in back totally fine and my knee was already sore. We were running fully naked top down no doors. It bent control arm and some other stuff in the suspension I turned and hit on drivers side as to keep impact away from wife and son the best I could so front tire took a big hit with no obvious damage to tire just shoved all back 6-8 inches. Just thankful we made it out ok.

Dash Cam window was dirty but you get the idea whats going on

driver.jpg

front.jpg

passanger.jpg

under.jpg
Question, did your airbags deploy. I had basically the same type of wreck which caused what looks like the same damage as yours and mine did not deploy. Also because it is a rubicon it will be a lot more expensive than you can imagine

OP
OP
thecritter

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Question, did your airbags deploy. I had basically the same type of wreck which caused what looks like the same damage as yours and mine did not deploy. Also because it is a rubicon it will be a lot more expensive than you can imagine
Yes they did deploy Fronts only, will update with list of what was effected. Was yours totaled or fixed?

Deleted member 23917

I was going to buy a short front bumper from Hauk (grill width)
But now I'm not sure. It looks like the end of your bumper took most of the damage.
With a stubbier bumper, it would have been worse.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
That’s why the Jeep gets a bad crash test rating... because it doesn’t crumpled. If it was bad enough to bruise a chest, it’s bad enough to do damage to your organs! A good car with a good crumple zone would not have left the same bruising. It’s not a good thing the Jeep looks so good.
You are correct that vehicles that "look" good after a crash are not typically a good thing. I see it all the time were people say things like "man that ______ is a piece of junk, it fell apart and the other car drove away". Or things like "they don't make them like they used to. An old car would have only had a scuffed bumper". All the while they're forgetting that if the vehicle doesn't absorb the impact the body will. Refreshing to see someone who views it correctly.

That said, I'm not too surprised by the visible damage. Assuming the skid was roughly 100' (just a rough guess based on where braking started), and the original speed in the mid 50's, the impact speed was probably in the 10-20 mph range. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of damage at that speed. As Jcieman said though, typically the vehicle looking good isn't a good thing. In this case, I think it looks about right. Not good, not bad. It bent, air bags deployed, everybody walked away. Sore and bruised is one thing, serious injury is another.

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
Glad you’re ok!

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

If you trade it in at some point a Jeep dealer will not resell it. It goes to auction as a wholesale piece. It sounds like they’re accounting for some devaluation but don’t underestimate how much an airbag deployment on Carfax effects value.

Based on some of the replies you’ll be able to sell it on the Forum for more than you paid for it 🤔 or not.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Today being 8/07...saw the headline “Had a Wreck 8/11” and had to check if Jeep was offering a time travel feature.
Sponsored