Jeep Wreck

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
So this past Saturday, minding my own business, sitting still for at least 1 minute at a red light on access road fixing to U-turn under the freeway to go to Lowe's for errands, suddenly I hear screeching tires. Before I could really look good, was hit in the rear a really good jolt. A Nissan Altima was lodged under my rear bumper. Pushed me forward into car in front. Took a bit for me to realize what had happened. Totally upset me. So before the police got there, man backed up and raised my jeep up backing up, jolting me again. I was in the Jeep getting my papers. He finally got out, after making his very young son get in the back seat and buckle up, apologizing, saying he would make it all right. We'll see. Anyway, does not appear to have done much, but I can't tell. My trailer hitch with a still Razorback Pig emblem went into his hood. The Pig was bent into a U-shape around the hitch. My rear tire cover (hard cover one) was bent in. The camera appears to be crooked. There is no "visible" damage I can see on my bumper or the rear door.

Can anyone tell me what to be on the lookout for when I take it in for wreck/damage assessment tomorrow? His hood was crumbled badly. Parts came off when he backed up (idiot). His airbags did not go off. As far as wrecks go, was not what I would consider a bad wreck, but was concerned my frame could be affected since the hitch took the biggest hit, or something wrong with the rear door. Rear door and window both appear to work fine, as do all other doors. I see no crumpled parts on the rear end or on fenders. Appears to have been a pretty direct straightforward hit. My Jeep was in spotless condition!
Sponsored

Harper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.myjeepadventures.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Black and Tan
Ugh. That sucks man. Glad no one seems to been hurt, other than your piggy ;)

I'd just be guessing what to look for. Doors functioning, tailgate and hood, and that's all I can think of. Thankfully, the Jeep should be able to take a few hits, and it sounds like it wasn't at very high speeds.

Good luck!

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I agree with Harper.

Also, make sure panel gaps are even and line up. Everything may function, but the impact could have pushed something out of alignment.

OP
OP

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, fellows. I'll check the panel alignment in daylight in the a.m.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

First off sounds like everyone was ok and that is always number one. Secondly sorry for your Jeep but glad it sounds like it should be alright. Below is a list of what I would be looking for before and after having it checked out.

1) check body alignment in everything. Rear hatch, back doors, front doors and front fenders.
2) check the angle of the hitch at the mounting point.
3) inspect springs being out of place and shocks for leaking..
4) inspect hinge points of rear hatch door.
5) inspect (if you have it) once over around mounting points in the hard top. Or bracketing of the soft top of equipped.
6) inspect tire mount backers for damage.
7 look for minor kinks in the rear Frame and bumper.. and note how if it’s no longer driving straight.

Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Who is doing the damage assessment? If not a body shop, see if you can get one to look at it.

I was in a similar accident in a previous Jeep. I didn’t think there was any damage, but there was slight damage around the spare tire mount. They recommended the tailgate be replaced, even though I thought it looked undamaged.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Sorry for your wreck. I would get yourself checked out by a chiropractor that has experience in working with motor vehicle accidents just to be sure. The fact that the impact hit your trailer hitch (essentially the frame of your Jeep), there was nothing to absorb the impact but YOU! Crumple zones are designed to absorb the impact. Basic law of physics... energy cannot be destroyed. In this case, there were no crumple zones to make that happen.

At the very least, get checked out somewhere! You'll want to have a medical record indicating you were seen. If 6-12 months from now you start having ANY type of issues that may relate back to this idiot hitting you from behind, if there is no record of you seeking an evaluation or care somewhere, you will have a very difficult time in receiving care that will be paid by the insurance company of the person who hit you.

The ultimate goal whenever you are involved in an accident...NO Physical Souvenirs! ;)

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Who is doing the damage assessment? If not a body shop, see if you can get one to look at it.

I was in a similar accident in a previous Jeep. I didn’t think there was any damage, but there was slight damage around the spare tire mount. They recommended the tailgate be replaced, even though I thought it looked undamaged.
Good point. I have heard of the spare being damaged. It should be checked to make sure it is in great shape and is still in perfect balance.

OP
OP

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good points, all. Thanks, Maverick, just what I was looking for - and Alameda Jeep. As for a chiropractor....am two weeks out from tumor removal on left side. I can't. Am supposed to get final checkup Thursday. Everything is Benign, but was a scare. Also same side, hip replacement. When it rains, it pours.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Good points, all. Thanks, Maverick, just what I was looking for - and Alameda Jeep. As for a chiropractor....am two weeks out from tumor removal on left side. I can't. Am supposed to get final checkup Thursday. Everything is Benign, but was a scare. Also same side, hip replacement. When it rains, it pours.
Then you need to be extra careful. Sometimes injury symptoms don't show up for a few days. Just take care!!
Sponsored