OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Detailed pics of the radiator? Maybe with the plastic cover piece off ?
Sorry I forgot to do this last night when I got home, I will try and remember today.
Sponsored

CapnFlounder

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, 2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Hey everybody,

I just picked up my 392 and wanted to make myself available if anybody wants any questions answered. I have backgrounds in mechanical and audio. I'm not quite yet at 200 miles and I plan on properly breaking the 392 in, so no track times or performance date yet.

Here's a few things to get us started. The power delivery is a riot, on the jeep suspension it flexes hard at any amount of decent throttle. The ride is softer and more forgiving on the road than my JT or my JK, by far. It is incredible smooth. The seat bolsters are indistinguishable from my JT rubi, in terms of comfort or feel. The paddle shifters are basically novelty only, shift times are in excess of 1 full second. They remind me of the shifters in a CVT civic. They do not allow gear jumps either, i.e. 8th to 6th. It cycles through each gear slowly. That said, I am not going over 4500rpm or half throttle right now, so maybe they come alive under higher pressure.

The exhaust button is awesome and it remembers your last setting. Want to quiet down before coming in to the neighborhood? Your 392 remembers that in the morning. However, as others have stated, cold start is always loud for atleast 3 seconds. The initial rap of it starting is quite satisfying. The idle on this car is also very satisfying. The rhythmic rubrubrubrub is reminiscent of some deliberate cam lope or idle overlap, but not quite. In quiet mode the exhaust is remarkably quiet. Under 2k rpm it is as loud as my JT was. In quiet mode the exhaust will open automatically if you give it some gas.

No auto start auto stop. Backup camera is dog. This is my first sky one touch and it is great. Far quieter than I though and completely acceptable K02 noise levels. Runs about 2db higher than my hardtop JT. Full sound deadening, spray in and mat coming soon if anybody is interested.

That's all for now but if you guys want measurements or pictures or whatever, just ask. Have a good rest of the weekend!

20210429_221256.jpg
Congrats, totally jealous
Hey everybody,

I just picked up my 392 and wanted to make myself available if anybody wants any questions answered. I have backgrounds in mechanical and audio. I'm not quite yet at 200 miles and I plan on properly breaking the 392 in, so no track times or performance date yet.

Here's a few things to get us started. The power delivery is a riot, on the jeep suspension it flexes hard at any amount of decent throttle. The ride is softer and more forgiving on the road than my JT or my JK, by far. It is incredible smooth. The seat bolsters are indistinguishable from my JT rubi, in terms of comfort or feel. The paddle shifters are basically novelty only, shift times are in excess of 1 full second. They remind me of the shifters in a CVT civic. They do not allow gear jumps either, i.e. 8th to 6th. It cycles through each gear slowly. That said, I am not going over 4500rpm or half throttle right now, so maybe they come alive under higher pressure.

The exhaust button is awesome and it remembers your last setting. Want to quiet down before coming in to the neighborhood? Your 392 remembers that in the morning. However, as others have stated, cold start is always loud for atleast 3 seconds. The initial rap of it starting is quite satisfying. The idle on this car is also very satisfying. The rhythmic rubrubrubrub is reminiscent of some deliberate cam lope or idle overlap, but not quite. In quiet mode the exhaust is remarkably quiet. Under 2k rpm it is as loud as my JT was. In quiet mode the exhaust will open automatically if you give it some gas.

No auto start auto stop. Backup camera is dog. This is my first sky one touch and it is great. Far quieter than I though and completely acceptable K02 noise levels. Runs about 2db higher than my hardtop JT. Full sound deadening, spray in and mat coming soon if anybody is interested.

That's all for now but if you guys want measurements or pictures or whatever, just ask. Have a good rest of the weekend!

20210429_221256.jpg
Congrats, looks great! Mine is built and awaiting final inspection and shipping. Any chance you know the factory wheel backspacing or offset?

Highmtnjl392

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 392
Sarge Green, awesome color! Congratulations on your 392.

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Congrats, totally jealous

Congrats, looks great! Mine is built and awaiting final inspection and shipping. Any chance you know the factory wheel backspacing or offset?
Someone earlier in the thread "measured with a tape measurer" and got 392 Beadlock Backspacing is 6.125”

Sponsored

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!

cook03tj

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'42 GPW; '21 Rubicon 392 (Sold: '85 XJ; '03 TJ)
I just got a 392 and it did not come with a trailer hitch, does the 392 use the same hitch and wiring harness and the regular JL?

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
I just got a 392 and it did not come with a trailer hitch, does the 392 use the same hitch and wiring harness and the regular JL?
Not sure if anyone on here has tried adding one yet, but if not, I'm thinking the parts dept guy/gal at your local Jeep dealership could at least check to see if they are the same part number as those from a regular JL. 🤷‍♂️

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I saw some comments earlier in the thread about the paddle shifting. Am I correct in understanding it's a standard auto transmission and the paddles are more for the fun of telling the transmission which gear? I'm assuming the fastest acceleration will be by letting the trans do its thing without user input?

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
I saw some comments earlier in the thread about the paddle shifting. Am I correct in understanding it's a standard auto transmission and the paddles are more for the fun of telling the transmission which gear? I'm assuming the fastest acceleration will be by letting the trans do its thing without user input?
You are correct. Additionally, something that is rather annoying is that if you are in auto mode and you press the upshift lever it does not upshift. It engages manual shift mode. So if you are at 6500rpm in auto mode, and you press upshift to force the shift, the car rev limits and does not shift as you are now in manual mode. You must press it again after rev limiting to obtain a shift.... ask me how I know.

The shifts themselves are acceptably quick. The delay between pressing a shift paddle and the signal arriving at the transmission is awful. I will have to time it, but it feels like a full second. Engine RPM can do a lot in 1 second, making the paddles impractical for aggressive shifting.

Now what I have started to settle in to is predicting the shift lag and shifting early to obtain an "on time" shift. Goes to show the novelty of the paddle shifters.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
You are correct. Additionally, something that is rather annoying is that if you are in auto mode and you press the upshift lever it does not upshift. It engages manual shift mode. So if you are at 6500rpm in auto mode, and you press upshift to force the shift, the car rev limits and does not shift as you are now in manual mode. You must press it again after rev limiting to obtain a shift.... ask me how I know.

The shifts themselves are acceptably quick. The delay between pressing a shift paddle and the signal arriving at the transmission is awful. I will have to time it, but it feels like a full second. Engine RPM can do a lot in 1 second, making the paddles impractical for aggressive shifting.

Now what I have started to settle in to is predicting the shift lag and shifting early to obtain an "on time" shift. Goes to show the novelty of the paddle shifters.
I don't have a 392 yet but this is disappointing to hear. Well-executed paddle shifters are super quick to react. What's confusing to me is that isn't this essentially the same transmission that goes in a lot of BMWs? I have two BMWs in my household and the paddle shifters are lightning quick (and very usable) in both.

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
I don't have a 392 yet but this is disappointing to hear. Well-executed paddle shifters are super quick to react. What's confusing to me is that isn't this essentially the same transmission that goes in a lot of BMWs? I have two BMWs in my household and the paddle shifters are lightning quick (and very usable) in both.
I was disappointed too but practically speaking, at least for my driving style, the real function of paddle shifters for me is the ability to downshift rapidly and hold a gear. Given that I am not riding an apex at maximum throttle in the 392, the paddle shifters don't really matter anyways. On a straight I just leave it in auto. A little less of a driving experience but no practical performance loss for me. That said, if they're gonna put them in, at least have them work properly.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I was disappointed too but practically speaking, at least for my driving style, the real function of paddle shifters for me is the ability to downshift rapidly and hold a gear. Given that I am not riding an apex at maximum throttle in the 392, the paddle shifters don't really matter anyways. On a straight I just leave it in auto. A little less of a driving experience but no practical performance loss for me. That said, if they're gonna put them in, at least have them work properly.
Where I like paddle shifters while going straight is for downshifting. At least in my BMWs, it seems to downshift quicker when using a paddle. Hit the paddle at the same time I hit the gas and the downshift is instantaneous. Also, if I hold down the downshift paddle, it will drop 2 or 3 gears into the meat of the powerband. I'm going to guess the 392's paddles don't do that...

But overall I agree with you - a 392 is not going to go anywhere fast unless you're going dead straight so paddles do not provide much of a benefit.

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Where I like paddle shifters while going straight is for downshifting. At least in my BMWs, it seems to downshift quicker when using a paddle. Hit the paddle at the same time I hit the gas and the downshift is instantaneous. Also, if I hold down the downshift paddle, it will drop 2 or 3 gears into the meat of the powerband. I'm going to guess the 392's paddles don't do that...

But overall I agree with you - a 392 is not going to go anywhere fast unless you're going dead straight so paddles do not provide much of a benefit.
I haven't tried, I will give it a go on the way home today. I know that it does not allow gear jumping. i.e. 5th to 3rd, it cycles 4th (1 second) then 3rd.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
That has not been my experience. Mine shifts on command.
Sponsored