Got a 392, ask away.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I have only one thing to ask: would you be so kind and ship your 392 to me in South Africa. Consider it being a good Samaritan and flying the Jeep flag high, globally.

There are lots of 392's in the USA, you can always get another one.
Sponsored

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
I don't have a 392 yet but this is disappointing to hear. Well-executed paddle shifters are super quick to react. What's confusing to me is that isn't this essentially the same transmission that goes in a lot of BMWs? I have two BMWs in my household and the paddle shifters are lightning quick (and very usable) in both.
it's all in the tuning and the hardware used within the gearbox. my guess is that Jeep wanted a reliable transmission and wanted to reduce wear on the box as much as possible, particularly considering that most will be putting big tires on these. so it's likely tuned very differently than the ZF 8-speed found in other applications. consider that this is probably the most used transmission out there right now, and it behaves differently across many applications. I have a 2018 M5, and I don't expect (or want) it to operate the same in the 392.

I think the trans tuning Jeep did with the JL is awesome. never would have thought that you could add 37's and expect the car to adapt so well. I think it's one of the most impressive parts of the JL

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
That has not been my experience. Mine shifts on command.
Maybe something is wrong with mine. Maybe my expectations have been set too high. The 911 and TTRS I have driven are extremely fast comparatively. Jaguar F type, VW Golf R, and Mustang GT somewhere in the middle. My 392 is about as fast as an Accord 2.0T. I'll take a quick video of shift times when Squadbox gives me my car back.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
Maybe something is wrong with mine. Maybe my expectations have been set too high. The 911 and TTRS I have driven are extremely fast comparatively. Jaguar F type, VW Golf R, and Mustang GT somewhere in the middle. My 392 is about as fast as an Accord 2.0T. I'll take a quick video of shift times when Squadbox gives me my car back.
I would say your expectations may be off comparing to those Germans. My M5 shifts super fast and it’s the same (kinda) trans, ZF 8, with different programming.

To be clear, the shifts lag behind the command a tad, similar to the 8spd Z06, but tapping the up paddle in auto mode definitely produces an upshift every time. That was what I am saying my experience is different in.

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
I would say your expectations may be off comparing to those Germans. My M5 shifts super fast and it’s the same (kinda) trans, ZF 8, with different programming.

To be clear, the shifts lag behind the command a tad, similar to the 8spd Z06, but tapping the up paddle in auto mode definitely produces an upshift every time. That was what I am saying my experience is different in.
Oh I see what you're saying. Perhaps I was not firm enough with the shift in that one experience. I'll mess around with it a bit more and see if it is in fact the case that 1 press activates manual mode or if it does shift.

Sponsored

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Mine is finely in paint? Oh well. Question.. what is the output of your inverter? The Gladiator puts out 400 watts, the stock wranglers put out 150 watts, so did they up the wattage on the 392? (AC plug)

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Mine is finely in paint? Oh well. Question.. what is the output of your inverter? The Gladiator puts out 400 watts, the stock wranglers put out 150 watts, so did they up the wattage on the 392? (AC plug)
Thanks
ValB

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Good quesiton, I came from a gladiator so I assumed it was 400w. It is sadly 150W, and not close to enough to charge my laptop.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, where does this go? :LOL:

0F16431F-8BBF-4A1B-82B0-2793843A99E0.jpeg

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are the best ❤

Last edited:

Majic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Do all 392s come standard with the subwoofer alpine audio system?

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR