Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Thanks all for the feedback about the headliner question, sounds like I have nothing to worry about. 🙂
Sponsored

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
Eli, I hope you don't mind, but this pic has kind of become my "GO TO" comparison shot for wheels & tires I've been considering. :like:

I have a quick confirmation question if that's ok, since it really helps me visualize my options, but how much total width do you think you added on each side over stock?

(I'm guesstimating that it was around 1.6" from the new offset, plus the extra half inch of wheel and one inch of tire, to about 2 to 2.25 inches per side?)

For what it's worth, I'm leaning towards a 18 x 9 inch wide wheel with a -12 offset (about 4.5" backspacing on a 9" wheel) at this point, with 35 x 12.50 K02's. And I'm trying to figure out how far out they will sit, and if it will rub the the outer fender on a 392 without a lift or spacer.

Thanks for any guidance.
-Rob
Rob, I’d say the edge of my wheel well to the edge of the tire sidewall (not the tread, which doesn’t stick out as much as the sidewall) is about 2”. Given my wheels are 17x8 and have about same I’d guess your sidewalls will sit about 3” from the fenders.

1620287476172.jpeg

That is one tight garage.
If by tight, you mean, “can’t open doors all the way” then yes, my garage is tight 😅. I hate it. No room for activities! My area is know for small, historic houses. Garages are small, if the house even has one.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Rob, I’d say the edge of my wheel well to the edge of the tire sidewall (not the tread, which doesn’t stick out as much as the sidewall) is about 2”. Given my wheels are 17x8 and have about same I’d guess your sidewalls will sit about 3” from the fenders.

If by tight, you mean, “can’t open doors all the way” then yes, my garage is tight 😅. I hate it. No room for activities! My area is know for small, historic houses. Garages are small, if the house even has one.
Thank you sir. And I give you my word, this was the last time I'll bother you about wheel sizes! :facepalm: I was extremely wheel & tire size illiterate to start, but I think I have finally settled on my preferred size. And you letting me repeatedly bug ya for info really did help, so it is very much appreciated! 🙂

Sponsored

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Allright. So now that I have had a chance to get familiar with the full RPM range I will share my findings. But first, the steering wheel. Man if they got anything right in this jeep its the steering wheel. Fat and thin in all the right places. Anyways, moving on....

The car performs and behaves like it is not built for the power. That comes off as a bad thing but its bizarrely a good thing. It feels untamed. It reminds me of what my first car (an old civic coupe) felt like after I installed a 100 shot of nitrous in it. Power with no discipline. That being said, the real fun is <60mph. The 0-60 is 4.change and the 60-100 feels about the same. There's really only 8 seconds of fun in this car, being that it is limited to 99.

Its fast and has character from 0-60 but the wow factor really fades after that. I've driven a bunch of performance cars and they typically get more rewarding the faster you go, excluding the nimble ones. While passing and accelerating on the highway, the 392 wrangler certainly holds its own but I would say loses the title of "fast". From the dig however, it is very impressive for what you're driving.

What is so crazy about this jeep is that, aside from the motor and exhaust, it feels just like a jeep on 33s. Its floaty and squishy with gobs of body roll. Something I didn't expect to appreciate about this motor is how it accentuates all of the things that makes a jeep clumsy on the road. It really makes the driving experience hilarious. I've truly never had a car that I enjoy as much as this one.

Plans to hit some trails as the weather breaks, will keep yall informed on the off road performance.

Ben_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392 Granite Crystal
It really makes the driving experience hilarious. I've truly never had a car that I enjoy as much as this one.
I’ve only been able to put 100 miles on mine so far. This sums it up perfectly.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
noticeable difference after the sound deadening?
it seems lots of people saying the exhaust drones a lot.

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
noticeable difference after the sound deadening?
it seems lots of people saying the exhaust drones a lot.
I've just done the trunk section for now, had to hurry and get it done because Squadbox is going to do an install video with my car and I didn't want to have to tear everything back out after they're done. I took some db readings before the trunk. Will take more after I've finished and done the headliner. The exhaust does drone but it's not aggravating. Plus you can just close it if it bothers you. I pretty much just close it when leaving for work in the morning.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Hey everybody,

I just picked up my 392 and wanted to make myself available if anybody wants any questions answered. I have backgrounds in mechanical and audio. I'm not quite yet at 200 miles and I plan on properly breaking the 392 in, so no track times or performance date yet.

Here's a few things to get us started. The power delivery is a riot, on the jeep suspension it flexes hard at any amount of decent throttle. The ride is softer and more forgiving on the road than my JT or my JK, by far. It is incredible smooth. The seat bolsters are indistinguishable from my JT rubi, in terms of comfort or feel. The paddle shifters are basically novelty only, shift times are in excess of 1 full second. They remind me of the shifters in a CVT civic. They do not allow gear jumps either, i.e. 8th to 6th. It cycles through each gear slowly. That said, I am not going over 4500rpm or half throttle right now, so maybe they come alive under higher pressure.

The exhaust button is awesome and it remembers your last setting. Want to quiet down before coming in to the neighborhood? Your 392 remembers that in the morning. However, as others have stated, cold start is always loud for atleast 3 seconds. The initial rap of it starting is quite satisfying. The idle on this car is also very satisfying. The rhythmic rubrubrubrub is reminiscent of some deliberate cam lope or idle overlap, but not quite. In quiet mode the exhaust is remarkably quiet. Under 2k rpm it is as loud as my JT was. In quiet mode the exhaust will open automatically if you give it some gas.

No auto start auto stop. Backup camera is dog. This is my first sky one touch and it is great. Far quieter than I though and completely acceptable K02 noise levels. Runs about 2db higher than my hardtop JT. Full sound deadening, spray in and mat coming soon if anybody is interested.

That's all for now but if you guys want measurements or pictures or whatever, just ask. Have a good rest of the weekend!

Jeep Wrangler JL Got a 392, ask away. 20210510_161821
Detailed pics of the radiator? Maybe with the plastic cover piece off ?

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
What do you think about the cooling on the 392? Do you think it will be adequate

jlkehoe

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2008 JKU
Yes I would say it is required. I would also say premium fuel is required for just about any performance engine. OEMs can either dumb down their tune or lie and say any octane level in acceptable, that's basically it. Higher octane increases knock resistance, allowing a greater window of "safe" performance levels. The higher the octane, the bigger safety window allowed in the tune/build. Anything that is running aggressive timing or high compression requires high octane.

Once I get around to cracking the owners manual I will see if jeep states a requirement or not.
It is required 91 or higher Octane and no more than 15% ethanol. I've got the same Sarge Green. Mine came missing the owners manual and my dealership is being given the runaround trying to get me one. I find it crazy that dealerships are not honoring affiliate pricing. I got full afiliate pricing (about 5k of MSRP). I do live in the Detroit area so maybe that makes a difference.

jlkehoe

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2008 JKU
well, with the current parts delays and since my salesman has went radio silent for the last week I may have plenty of time to wait lol.

I have read they are the same backspace as the Mopar Performance beadlocks, and also the same as factory Rubicon (JL) wheels. one would work fine with 37s, the other would rub at full stuff. I would think they would at least be the backspace of a Mojave wheel, which I think may work for 37s when lifted, but still looking into that.

a lot ofmp guessing out there on specs, but nothing official I have found yet. Maybe of someone has a wheel off it will have the backspace printed on it?
The backspacing is about 6in only 4 on the mopar original beadlocks. Kind of crappy that they didn't keep the same.

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
What do you think about the cooling on the 392? Do you think it will be adequate
I think it will be overkill for my uses. Hard desert wheeling or circuit time may cause problems but street, overlanding and drag will all be perfectly fine. It runs cool with spirited street driving, periods of WOT and manual shifting at higher RPM. Sure warms up my small garage after parking though.
Sponsored