First Name
Chic-ette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon Edition
Occupation
RMT
So there’s always questions about if GG is worth it and lots of different opinions. I said I’d post my experience after a year so here you are. I’ve driven it in Interior BC Canada weather through two seasons of sanding and salting. I off road it pretty hard and do lots of highway driving as well. It’s been little over a year. No cracks. No chips. Someone asked me about sand pitting. I suppose I think there is one tiny pit mark on the passenger side where I got nailed pretty hard with a rock about 6 months ago but it’s so small I can’t find it months after the fact. So is it worth it? For me it is. The extra cost you pay to install it you could easily end up paying with it a year after replacing the stock windshield every time it cracks (so every three months). Also the windshield place told me that the extra cost for initial install is one time. If it ever does need replacing it falls under insurance to cover the whole amount. That’s my input.

FBEA4F65-373B-4C4F-BE8C-F793FD95D085.jpeg
Sponsored

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
So there’s always questions about if GG is worth it and lots of different opinions. I said I’d post my experience after a year so here you are. I’ve driven it in Interior BC Canada weather through two seasons of sanding and salting. I off road it pretty hard and do lots of highway driving as well. It’s been little over a year. No cracks. No chips. Someone asked me about sand pitting. I suppose I think there is one tiny pit mark on the passenger side where I got nailed pretty hard with a rock about 6 months ago but it’s so small I can’t find it months after the fact. So is it worth it? For me it is. The extra cost you pay to install it you could easily end up paying with it a year after replacing the stock windshield every time it cracks (so every three months). Also the windshield place told me that the extra cost for initial install is one time. If it ever does need replacing it falls under insurance to cover the whole amount. That’s my input.

FBEA4F65-373B-4C4F-BE8C-F793FD95D085.jpeg
Is it covered under insurance the next time
If breaks if you got it installed after the fact? Or does it have to be a factory option so it’s attached to the Vin?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thing is, over the year you’ve owned your Wrangler, Jeep jacked up the price of Gorilla Glass from $95, to $195, to $495.

There’s inflation, and then there’s shameless greed.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
i cracked mine over the weekend and i was thinking of getting GG as a replacement? Do i just go to the dealer and get it installed or do i need to order it and have it installed at a later date?

Jeep Wrangler JL Gorilla Glass update 1652966271998

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
I ordered GG from the factory on my jeep delivered 9/21. driving to SoCa (3000 miles), while going through the mountains, got hit with a gust of wind and small debris. crack at 2 mo and 4000 miles. took picture to show meets warranty criteria. Tried to claim warranty. From 2 dealers, Jeep, and Mopar, I heard, 'what warranty'. When I read the mopar warranty to the mopar person, she responded with 'is there anything else I can help you with'. I restated the warranty 3 times and each time she stated 'is there..." Dealers both said claim declined due to no warranty. Heres what I confirmed. GG out of the factory does NOT have mopar 2 year warranty. Only aftermarket install. wow. Not a good start for a first time buyer of one of their premium vehicles. (4xe). also, took a rock, smaller, on 45 mph road, and got a second large impact crack. this one like a bullet and slightly larger than a quarter. In my real life experience, two window ending cracks in 4 mo by events that should have been fine. Warranty is vapor - dont buy because you think there will be a free window, because that is an empty promise. I started another thread trying to find ANYONE who successfully replace a GG window under warranty - and only one - aftermarket install and dealer had their back and forced the replacement - or the dealer actually replaced it themselves as the right thing to do. either way, I have found no one who bought factory option GG and successful used the warranty

Sponsored

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
i cracked mine over the weekend and i was thinking of getting GG as a replacement? Do i just go to the dealer and get it installed or do i need to order it and have it installed at a later date?

Jeep Wrangler JL Gorilla Glass update 1652966271998
GG was a horrible experience for me with 2 window ending cracks in 4 mo - warranty from factory was vapor. Note though, your crack would not meet warranty criteria. If you get it, I truly hope your experience will be better than mine. A moron ran a red light and totaled my new jeep - so re-ordered exactly what we had before...minus the GG

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
My daughter's 2010 JK had her windshield replaced last month as a couple large cracks showed up. We said we wanted OEM glass. They installed GG. Insurance covered it without any deductible. Thinking they went with the GG as the actual OEM glass for that model was no longer available?

Last edited:

SQTowelie

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on Jeep Rubicon 4xe by 6/10
I ordered it, but after all the stories, if mine cracks I'm just getting mine replaced with non-GG. Just give me the other if it makes no difference.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I buy cheap windshields on my trucks and now my JLUR. GG has a standard sheet of tempered glass on the outer layer, from what someone else posted here.

Having a high end windshield means nothing if its all sand pitted and scratched because it's too expensive to change. Buy cheap and change often. A good condition cheap windshield is still better than a pricey "best" windshield thats scratched or pitted, IMO. Especially at night or driving into the afternoon sun.

Sponsored

MilkSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I buy cheap windshields on my trucks and now my JLUR. GG has a standard sheet of tempered glass on the outer layer, from what someone else posted here.

Having a high end windshield means nothing if its all sand pitted and scratched because it's too expensive to change. Buy cheap and change often. A good condition cheap windshield is still better than a pricey "best" windshield thats scratched or pitted, IMO. Especially at night or driving into the afternoon sun.
Agreed. I live in a windy desert and our windshields get blasted with sand all the time. GG would be pretty expensive to purchase every other year if warranty doesn't cover it

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
My daughter got her GG windshield replaced yesterday that got cracked in our wheeling adventure a few weeks ago. Dealer had to order it, but it was in the next day. Got it installed and on her way in a couple of hours. No issues with the dealer at all, and no problems with warranty. 2 year coverage so far is being honored.

RoadRouge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
My GG windshield on my '21 Wrangler took a hit and chipped/then cracked after having the Jeep <1 year. Working with Safelite to replace and they indicate 1 year wait for GG Wrangler windshields. The safelite guy is trying to convince me that GG isn't even for cracks/chip prevention and that it is for the interior only to prevent penetration all the way through the windshield. Quick fact check call BS on that. Corning website even states it is 3X stronger against chips/cracks.

So is it worth it? My experience has not been stellar with it.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
Mine was 2mo old when it got hit by a rock and cracked 12". I am not seeing how GG is amazingly better so far. The company doing mine couldnt get the GG so I have a standard MOPAR one now.
Sponsored