Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Interesting thread. I'm in the middle of a paint correction and ceramic coat (Avalon King) on my crewcab pickup and topper.

I had bought a Torq 22D random orbital with 21mm throw probably 5 years ago and had not used it until now. Not doing any polishing on the roof and top of the topper where it doesn't show as it's just too much real estate, but I did do an iron remover and DA clay pad.

Years ago, I used rotary buffers and cotton rag and wool pads. I think you could buff thru the metal with those. But with the deep scratches from driving thru overgrown trails, I have a need for a rotary and wool pad now. I'm having to wet sand with 2500 grit to get them out and then use a rotary buffer, very agressive compound and wool pad, followed by finer compound and foam pads and the random orbital to remove swirl.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
Interesting thread. I'm in the middle of a paint correction and ceramic coat (Avalon King) on my crewcab pickup and topper.

I had bought a Torq 22D random orbital with 21mm throw probably 5 years ago and had not used it until now. Not doing any polishing on the roof and top of the topper where it doesn't show as it's just too much real estate, but I did do an iron remover and DA clay pad.

Years ago, I used rotary buffers and cotton rag and wool pads. I think you could buff thru the metal with those. But with the deep scratches from driving thru overgrown trails, I have a need for a rotary and wool pad now. I'm having to wet sand with 2500 grit to get them out and then use a rotary buffer, very agressive compound and wool pad, followed by finer compound and foam pads and the random orbital to remove swirl.
Might want to get a paint thickness gauge to test the thickness of your clear coat by measuring where you need to wet sand and comparing that measurement with a measurement in your door jamb (Apparently there is very little clear in this area). Then you can keep checking where you are wet sanding so you donā€™t remove all the clear. Thereā€™s good YouTube videos on the subject. Or perhaps you are already doing this.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not a JL, but here's a couple pix of my correction work. I'm not shooting for showcar, just respectable. I'm not taking 100% of the scratches out, leaving a trace of some of the deepest, but I am getting all the sanding and swirl out.

These first 2 pix are the damage.
Jeep Wrangler JL Good Buffer for Beginner 20210922_080002
Jeep Wrangler JL Good Buffer for Beginner 20210922_075715

This picture is after removing about the same damage as the previous pictures.

Again, I had to wet sand with 2500, buff with a wool cutting pad on a rotary, with aggressive compound (V32 Chem Guys), then foam rotary with V36 (fine grade compound), then DA random orbital with V36. I just didn't feel the need to go to V38 (extra fine) which would be good for a dark color.
Jeep Wrangler JL Good Buffer for Beginner 20210922_080047

Sponsored

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
Have some hairline scratches here and there on my Jeep, nothing serious just some light scratches that cant be felt with my finger nail, tried some mild compound for scratches and it did remove some but am thinking i need a buffer and came across Griots G9 and wonder if if its a good buffer for a beginner

https://www.autogeek.net/griots-polisher-kits.html

What say all you Detailers out there, i would like to keep my total investment at around $200 and have it include some extra pads and maybe a few starter polishes.
I used the Griot's G9 on my 1973 Charger with the original oxidized paint and it came out great! I had no previous experience and it was easy. I also used all their products. I have also now used it on new clear coat paint on my Ram 3500 to remove some scratches and that worked great also.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Please remember to condition your polishing pad before use.
Plan on using some detail spray to preload the pad with the 3D One polish

I used the Griot's G9 on my 1973 Charger with the original oxidized paint and it came out great! I had no previous experience and it was easy. I also used all their products. I have also now used it on new clear coat paint on my Ram 3500 to remove some scratches and that worked great also.
My plan after doing lots of reading/searching and chatting with @Chocolate Thunder is to use the G9 with a white foam LC pad and the 3D One to start, I doubt I will have to use a more aggressive pad as my paint is in pretty good shape plus Jeremy advised that itā€™s best to start off less aggressive to see how it looks and then step up if necessary, the 3D is kinda like a one step but finish is determined by how aggressive the pad is according to them.

After the 3D I will clean off the polish residue and then use either Pinnacle Soveran liquid Carnauba or Megs Hybrid Ceramic and the last step with be with the matching detailer of whatever wax i choose to use.

Should have all supplies in by Friday and plan on devoting the whole day Saturday to the outside so will be a full exterior detail from double washes, clay bar and polish correction, wax and finish, also picked up glass stripper kit from Invisible Glass to strip the front windshield and follow up with an Aquapel treatment, it wonā€™t make the windshield perfect but should help and at some point I will research on how to polish the windshield but for now want to wrap my head around the paint correction.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Plan on using some detail spray to preload the pad with the 3D One polish

My plan after doing lots of reading/searching and chatting with @Chocolate Thunder is to use the G9 with a white foam LC pad and the 3D One to start, I doubt I will have to use a more aggressive pad as my paint is in pretty good shape plus Jeremy advised that itā€™s best to start off less aggressive to see how it looks and then step up if necessary, the 3D is kinda like a one step but finish is determined by how aggressive the pad is according to them.

After the 3D I will clean off the polish residue and then use either Pinnacle Soveran liquid Carnauba or Megs Hybrid Ceramic and the last step with be with the matching detailer of whatever wax i choose to use.

Should have all supplies in by Friday and plan on devoting the whole day Saturday to the outside so will be a full exterior detail from double washes, clay bar and polish correction, wax and finish, also picked up glass stripper kit from Invisible Glass to strip the front windshield and follow up with an Aquapel treatment, it wonā€™t make the windshield perfect but should help and at some point I will research on how to polish the windshield but for now want to wrap my head around the paint correction.
If youā€™re not already using it, synthetic clay is awesome.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I used some chemical iron remover from Meguires that was very effective at removing contaminants. My truck was pretty heavily contaminated from years of neglect. That took about 95% of it out, then I used a synthetic rubber "clay" pad in my random orbital to take out the rest and finished the small corners by hand with a hand sized synthetic pad. Easiest "clay" job on a heavily contaminated vehicle I've done.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have Megs smooth surface clay and also Chemical Guys Light/Medium so hoping these will be fine, my Jeep is garage kept and the paint is honestly is pretty good shape with minor surface scratches that canā€™t be felt with my nail and itā€™s gotten weekly washes and then a spray wax or detailer applied since day one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well guys my plan was to detail the Jeep but last minute but I got some marching orders that require me to travel the latter part of next week and will be gone a week and itā€™s supposed to rain all next week but I wanted to try the buffer and all my supplies so I did my wifeā€™s ride, itā€™s a 2020 and only has 5500 miles on it and is garage kept and she does not work outside the home so it will be in the garage all next week.

Started off with a good wash of wheels and tires with a dedicated sponge and wheel brush then rinse all clean

Then filled the bucket again and washed from top to bottom then clayed and washed again

Started with a LC CSS white pad and the 3D One and and figured out real fast I used to much polish as it got slung everywhere ( lesson learned ) anyway did small 2 x 2 sections and did (3) sets of cross hatch passes and wiped off ( used 2 pads ) for the whole car and I changed when they looked dirty and they did which surprised me.

Then I switched to a LC CSS blue pad and did a finish pass using the 3D One and did (2) cross hatch passes and wiped off all, according to the 3D One folks this polish can achieve different results just by switching pads.

With the above I used a lot of MF towels just to be safe

After I got the above all done I used some of the Pinnacle Sourvern detailer with several MF towels just to wipe it all down to ensure all the polish was gone.

Changed the pad to a LC CSS black pad and used it to apply the Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba liquid wax, read this was a quick way to apply and it makes short work of it as I went over the whole before wiping off and it wipes off so easy.

Finally after all was done I used the Pinnacle Souveran Detailer and misted it onto a clean MF towel and wiped the whole car down and then did all the normal stuff like windows and trim dressing

All in all took me like 7 hrs but I can see now how power polishing and high quality products make a huge difference, the paint looks like its inches thick

So much for a my initial budget šŸ˜©

I know itā€™s not a Jeep but just have to share some eye candy, overall super pleased with the final outcome, the Griots G9 is super nice for a great price ā€¦vibration is very acceptable even on the highest speed of six and super balanced and is reasonably quiet as I had a some tunes in the background playing and was easy to hear.

Hopefully in a few weeks when I get back I can get after my Jeep and post of some pics using the same process but will try the Megs Hybrid Ceramic wax and detailer to compare.

Big thanks goes out to all that offered advice and a bigger thanks goes out to Jeremy @Chocolate Thunder for taking the time to answer all my questions over the past few weeks

Jeep Wrangler JL Good Buffer for Beginner A78ED9EE-406D-407E-BA7B-76DC70925DAF
Jeep Wrangler JL Good Buffer for Beginner 2E3ED978-7512-4BF5-A261-A19F4B7256F4
Jeep Wrangler JL Good Buffer for Beginner 10D2A3B0-B6CF-4BCD-9715-2DC7B1C2C285
Jeep Wrangler JL Good Buffer for Beginner 57B3973A-3981-4105-BD17-38450B9507B1
Jeep Wrangler JL Good Buffer for Beginner 695045E4-BF16-4D22-848D-4A078865C7AB

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Well guys my plan was to detail the Jeep but last minute but I got some marching orders that require me to travel the latter part of next week and will be gone a week and itā€™s supposed to rain all next week but I wanted to try the buffer and all my supplies so I did my wifeā€™s ride, itā€™s a 2020 and only has 5500 miles on it and is garage kept and she does not work outside the home so it will be in the garage all next week.

Started off with a good wash of wheels and tires with a dedicated sponge and wheel brush then rinse all clean

Then filled the bucket again and washed from top to bottom then clayed and washed again

Started with a LC CSS white pad and the 3D One and and figured out real fast I used to much polish as it got slung everywhere ( lesson learned ) anyway did small 2 x 2 sections and did (3) sets of cross hatch passes and wiped off ( used 2 pads ) for the whole car and I changed when they looked dirty and they did which surprised me.

Then I switched to a LC CSS blue pad and did a finish pass using the 3D One and did (2) cross hatch passes and wiped off all, according to the 3D One folks this polish can achieve different results just by switching pads.

With the above I used a lot of MF towels just to be safe

After I got the above all done I used some of the Pinnacle Sourvern detailer with several MF towels just to wipe it all down to ensure all the polish was gone.

Changed the pad to a LC CSS black pad and used it to apply the Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba liquid wax, read this was a quick way to apply and it makes short work of it as I went over the whole before wiping off and it wipes off so easy.

Finally after all was done I used the Pinnacle Souveran Detailer and misted it onto a clean MF towel and wiped the whole car down and then did all the normal stuff like windows and trim dressing

All in all took me like 7 hrs but I can see now how power polishing and high quality products make a huge difference, the paint looks like its inches thick

So much for a my initial budget šŸ˜©

I know itā€™s not a Jeep but just have to share some eye candy, overall super pleased with the final outcome, the Griots G9 is super nice for a great price ā€¦vibration is very acceptable even on the highest speed of six and super balanced and is reasonably quiet as I had a some tunes in the background playing and was easy to hear.

Hopefully in a few weeks when I get back I can get after my Jeep and post of some pics using the same process but will try the Megs Hybrid Ceramic wax and detailer to compare.

Big thanks goes out to all that offered advice and a bigger thanks goes out to Jeremy @Chocolate Thunder for taking the time to answer all my questions over the past few weeks

Looks fantastic! Now the real testā€¦get it inside your dark garage, shine a light to it, and letā€™s see how you did. šŸ˜‰

Iā€™m assuming your wife just brings it through the automatic car wash and it had some serious swirls going on?

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Griots G9. My wifeā€™s black truck has a ton of swirls from the previous owner and I will definitely consider the G9 to clean her truck up.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Looks fantastic! Now the real testā€¦get it inside your dark garage, shine a light to it, and letā€™s see how you did. šŸ˜‰

Iā€™m assuming your wife just brings it through the automatic car wash and it had some serious swirls going on?

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Griots G9. My wifeā€™s black truck has a ton of swirls from the previous owner and I will definitely consider the G9 to clean her truck up.
Neither her car or my Jeep has ever been thru a car wash by us, Iā€™m sure the Dealer has one and when we purchased they ran it thru and gave it the normal half ass detail job and Iā€™m sure I put on a few by not using the correct product or a dirty MF towel

Heres a short vid of the hood using my handheld LED shop light, the hood was the worst ā€¦

There are still some small hairline scratch spots but about 75% better I would say

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Neither her car or my Jeep has ever been thru a car wash by us, Iā€™m sure the Dealer has one and when we purchased they ran it thru and gave it the normal half ass detail job and Iā€™m sure I put on a few by not using the correct product or a dirty MF towel

Heres a short vid of the hood using my handheld LED shop light, the hood was the worst ā€¦

There are still some small hairline scratch spots but about 75% better I would say

My man! :fist bump:

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
3d one is some amazing stuff. I did my jeep with a PC w an orange and then a white pad. It took the majority of the scratches out although if you still look hard you can find some. The most important thing now is being careful how you touch your paint. I ended up doing the BlackFire Ceramic coating on mine, which looks absolutely fantastic when its clean.
Sponsored