Sponsored

Looking for a good cleaning product for the black fender trim.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
My black plastic fender trim is getting a patina of dirt that I would like to clean off without making the plastic look worse in the long run. The Jeep is a 2020, so I am not looking for a "black" restorer as much as just a good cleaning product that does not cause the plastic to fade prematurely.

I wash the Jeep often, because I like to keep the dirt from building up and getting unmanageable, and I am realizing that I need to take special steps to clean the plastic.

What works good; Simple Clean, Detailing Spray? ???

Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What works good; Simple Clean, Detailing Spray? ???
Any PH neutral car wash soap and a soft bristle brush. Then protect with something like Adam's Black Trim Restorer. You need a protectant on the plastic or it will fade faster.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The concentrated soap I use for the overall wash is around a 7 but the water we have to work with seems "hard" so it's not likely the soap mix will remain neutral soap when I dilute it.

I guess I was thinking about a nice store bought product just for use on the plastic. It seems like Simple Green (which is about a 9) is used by a lot of people I know, but I wondered if there are any long term benefits to using some other product.

Thank you!

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
The concentrated soap I use for the overall wash is around a 7 but the water we have to work with seems "hard" so it's not likely the soap mix will remain neutral soap when I dilute it.

I guess I was thinking about a nice store bought product just for use on the plastic. It seems like Simple Green (which is about a 9) is used by a lot of people I know, but I wondered if there are any long term benefits to using some other product.

Thank you!
Adam’s VRT or griots vinyl and trim dressing

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I’m probably gonna use the car guys one on mine. One of the reviews has pictures of JK fenders and the difference was great https://amzn.to/2PyALbX
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a good cleaning product for the black fender trim. CF235D03-E31E-4CDB-98C8-FD5A3183FD67

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I would still like to find a specific cleaner that does not accelerate the need for a restorer. Black Plastic restorer products seem to be a sort of "train" that require frequent re application.

I would rather just keep the plastic clean and put off entering the endless cycle of "restoration" for as long as I can, and am wondering if any particular cleaning products are known to treat the plastic better than others.

If not I can just continue with soap and water. That seems to work great for cleaning dirt off the painted surfaces and just sort of ok for plastic, which is why I am looking for something to augment the soap and water as a cleaning agent.

Thank you.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
303 Aerospace Protectant is amazing. Provides UV protection to keep them from fading. Good for interior as well.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Agree with the 303 UV Protectant. I use it on the tires, and any rubber or unpainted trim.

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
Clean with soap and water, dry and then use Solution Finish. It dye's the black plastic back to black and it lasts
Sponsored