Sponsored

Opinion of these Beginner Detailing Kits?

halw9000

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 JKU, Ordering JLU Sahara
So, my '07 JKU was my first jeep/vehicle and I beat the hell out of it. Never worried too much about it because "it's a jeep, that's what it's for.." When I washed it, I just took it to the gas station. I wiped down the interior with those Armor All wipes.

Well, now that I am an adult and paying for this one, I feel a little differently. I'd like to take the time to do the washing myself and learn about how to protect it fairly well without breaking the bank. I still plan to beat it up on the occasional camping/4x4 trip, or driving around the farm, but for the most part it will be a pavement pounder.

Besides some microfiber towels and a garden hose, I own absolutely no supplies for washing my vehicle. I am a total beginner and these are my main goals:
--more hydrophobic.. it rained last night and it looks bad now :(
--a little protection
--shiny & nice
--interior cleaning supplies

I found these two kits online and I especially liked the one from CG. I figured all I would need to add would be a bucket and a tire brush.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Complete_Car_Care_Kit_14_Items_p/hol123.htm
https://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/adam-s-daily-driver-detailing-kit.html

Could anyone provide some advice on whether I should go with one of these two kits? are there better options for a beginner like me? Tips and advice in any fashion are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
With all of the trim pieces and the size of the Jeep I always just take mine to a professional detail shop every spring and fall with car washes in between and a speed wax application after the car wash. :rock:

**EDIT**

Best thing is a clay bar twice a year to remove all contaminants that build up on the surface. After that a good wax. Speed wax in between regular washes. Here is my Jeep I traded in. The dealer did not have to do a thing to prep it for resale when it came to the exterior or interior.

https://buycolonialdodge.com/Vehicle_Details/desc/Certified_Used_Jeep_Wrangler Unlimited__/vehicleID/2312305

Last edited:
OP
OP
halw9000

halw9000

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 JKU, Ordering JLU Sahara
With all of the trim pieces and the size of the Jeep I always just take mine to a professional detail shop every spring and fall with car washes in between and a speed wax application after the car wash. :rock:

**EDIT**

Best thing is a clay bar twice a year to remove all contaminants that build up on the surface. After that a good wax. Speed wax in between regular washes. Here is my Jeep I traded in. The dealer did not have to do a thing to prep it for resale when it came to the exterior or interior.

https://buycolonialdodge.com/Vehicle_Details/desc/Certified_Used_Jeep_Wrangler Unlimited__/vehicleID/2312305
Thanks for the help and advice! The jeep you traded looks like it was very well taken care of. Do you have any recommendations for speed wax?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Thanks for the help and advice! The jeep you traded looks like it was very well taken care of. Do you have any recommendations for speed wax?
I have tried many and never really found one to be superior to another. I use it to wipe off the excess water after a car wash and remove any residual soap spots left behind. I also use it to wipe out the door jams and keep those clean of dirt and crap.

This was my recent purchase from Amazon for my maintenance between my twice a year professional detail shop. Aerospace 303 makes great products.

upload_2018-5-16_12-30-54.png

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Chemical guys products are generally excellent. I used to detail professionally for a while and used a lot of their stuff and was satisfied with it. Cleaning without inducing micro scratches (swirl marks) is largely a function of how you wash more so than what you use. Rinse very well to remove as much loose dirt as possible. Use several microfiber towels or mitts to wash; One for the roof and upper areas that are less dirty first. Another (or several) for the lower parts that are dirtier. Wet them in the clean soapy wash bucket and after washing an area, use a hose to vigorously rinse the dirt out of the fiber before rinsing it thoroughly in a second bucket of clean water. This keeps you from putting the dirt you just cleaned off into your "clean" wash bucket.I often used 6 or 8 towels or mitts so that I seldom had to use one twice on the same car. Always wash wheels last with a towel used only for wheels and not paint.

Dry using a leaf blower to blow off most of the water and finish up with a clean microfiber drying towel. Don't use a squeegee. Use your choice of sealant (last longer, more "reflective" shine) or wax (doesn't last as long, deep "wet" shine) or both to protect the finish and repel water.

Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I just used Chemical guys and seems pretty good.
Agree with taking care of new car now vs car I had when much younger. As in: I used a meal snow shovel to clear snow from the sides, hood and top of the car. After the salt was washed away in the spring I scratched the crap out of my car. Younger dumber days.

NavyJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS; Bikini; Manual; Soft Top. Let the spending begin.
Chemical guys makes good products and Larry Kosilla from Ammo NYC makes some very informative detailing videos on Youtube.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Chemical guys and shine supply are my go tos. The shine supple decked out is by far best tire dressing that I’ve used. You won’t go wrong with eithe company.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Kits are good to start and those brands are good. You will find that once you get "obsessed" you will use all different kinds and brands as I have found no one company to have everything I want/like.

I use a pressure washer and foam cannon to get soap on and let it start loosening up before touching it. Different schools of thought here. I also use the 2 bucket method and like above I am all about high quality wash mats and micro fiber. I dry with 2 water guzzler towels as I have found the blower option to actually blow more dust on the car than get the water off. Maybe just my area I live.

For me the absolute best maintenance spray on wax (not really wax) is CarPros Reload. It is awesome.

Most of all read a lot but go and do. You will get obsessed and find your own way of doing things.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you want the longest lasting and toughest protection, look into ceramics and graphene coatings. I am currently doing my truck with Avalon King Armor IX ceramic. It applies and buffs off super easy and supposed to last 2-5 years.

A step down from them is the relatively new hybrid ceramic and graphene quick coatings. I have used Mothers CMX and found it very easy to use and long lasting (8-10 months).

There are a lot of informative videos on YouTube. I found this guy "Pan the organizer" to be great for new products and techniques.
Sponsored