Going in 4WD over 45 mph

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I never understand why people dont just answer the simple question. Yes, you can drive over 45 in 4H.
:facepalm: ;) But see, you didn't answer his question. His question was - I'm driving at 70 in 2wd, do I have to slow down to 45 to shift into 4wd?

Later,
Johnny
Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
:facepalm: ;) But see, you didn't answer his question. His question was - I'm driving at 70 in 2wd, do I have to slow down to 45 to shift into 4wd?

Later,
Johnny
And the answer to that is - YES. Not EXACTLY 45mph mind you, but you need to SLOW WAY DOWN.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Anyone suggest when to put into 4hi when roads are slightly snowy/wet? We have chain controls that require 4WD, but often the roads are just wet for a few miles. Should I just ignore the checkpoint and stay in 2wd until the roads are snow covered, or is 4hi not going to hurt anything?
My interpretation at those checkpoints is that you just have to HAVE 4WD to get past them, not that you have to be using it. They will probably just wave you through; engage 4WD when you feel it's needed.

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
My interpretation at those checkpoints is that you just have to HAVE 4WD to get past them, not that you have to be using it. They will probably just wave you through; engage 4WD when you feel it's needed.
I’ve had CalTrans look to verify I had 4WD engaged. Once looking for lights in the dash. Another time checked the hubs, two different vehicles

Most of the time for a wave through was in a Subaru, they did check tire choice a few times by stopping me and looking at treads and sidewall.

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had CalTrans look to verify I had 4WD engaged. Once looking for lights in the dash. Another time checked the hubs, two different vehicles

Most of the time for a wave through was in a Subaru, they did check tire choice a few times by stopping me and looking at treads and sidewall.
I’ll bet that Subaru does real well in snow. Probably better than Jeep.

Deleted member 59098

Last time I went through he was looking at my hubs, but they are not locking. I used to always have trouble with my VW Golf R, which is AWD, but has no AWD tags anywhere. I’d just tell them I’ll try a burnout right there. Of course it was obvious when the car just took off pretty damn fast without even a wheel chirp.

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I never understand why people dont just answer the simple question. Yes, you can drive over 45 in 4H. I could give a crap if anyone wants to go faster than I think they should in snow. Cracks me up. But Im from Jersey so maybe thats it. Lol

I have been a member of multiple Jeep forums for years. I have owned a TJ, a JK, and a JL. I have lived in Minnesota my whole life.

I am with you. I always get annoyed when people refuse to answer the question and say its dangerous. Its even funnier when the people saying that are from southern states where they don't normally drive in the snow.

I have driven above 45 MPH in 4hi for years in the snow. Never been in the ditch.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
AWD is totally different than 4WD. You can run AWD systems up well past 100mph on dry pavement.

Theoretically no, there should be no problem mechanically...you will annihilate fuel mileage though.

The speed limit exists for safety...there is no situation where it is both possible and safe to surpass 45mph and you NEED 4WD.
But there are situations where it's safe to go well past 100 on dry pavement with AWD?

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
But there are situations where it's safe to go well past 100 on dry pavement with AWD?
AWD is a different animal. We had an awd Audi for years and yes it was fine at any speed you cared to drive. Handling was excellent, alway. Part time 4wd, no not something I’d recommend, though n a STRAIGHT road you “could”, though why you would is another matter

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
As a current Subaru owner, hubris is never good especially when operating a large metal object that injure or kill someone. Even with my Outback I take winter hazardous roads cautiously, give people room, and be on the defense.

I will say though, its the best vehicle I have ever owned in the snow, and thats even with my stock tires that are nothing to write home about. It's a beast in the snow and the full time AWD system is definitely awesome. Of course you are right though, if youre on ice? AWD aint stopping you from sliding around.

It will be interesting if I am able to get into the Wrangler to compare the two, Selec-trac is an option I really want, just depends if I go with a Sport or Sport S, since its not available on the Sport.
A WRX with studded snow tires is pretty impressive.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I think it is important to differentiate between 4 WD and traction control. Traction control works on all 4 wheels even when in 2WD. I wouldn't recommend driving 70 mph in a snowstorm, but 4WD will help you get up to that speed, but won't keep you any more stable than doing 70 in 2WD.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I’ll bet that Subaru does real well in snow. Probably better than Jeep.
Like anything, they do, until they don't.

I have a 2013 Kia Optima that is front wheel drive and has amazing traction control. It is almost impossible to throw it into the ditch. It has 200,000+ miles on it. It is common for me or the wife to drive it at speeds of 75 mph or faster on snow covered road. Yet like the Subaru, you never see it in pictures like this.

Jeep Wrangler JL Going in 4WD over 45 mph 1607778921784

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
This thread has been very informative for me as this is my first 4wd vehicle. I came from a 2014 BMW 528i with xdrive. Also had a 2004 330Xi before that.

I have a 2021 JLUR with Rock Trac. Not to thread Jack but if I was to shift into 4auto would I have to slow down to below 45mph?
Sponsored