TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Newbie question. It's recommended to go into 4WD less than 45mph. What if I'm going 70 and hit a snow storm? Must I slow down on the interstate?
UH YES.

Bottom line is this - in any situation where you need 4WD, you SHOULD NOT be doing more than 45mph. It's not even a matter of mechanical damage at this point, it's not being stupid.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The reason 4WD is “part-time” has more to do with its impact on vehicle handling than on mechanical components.

Jeep part-time 4WD systems lock front and rear at the transfer case, maximizing traction but compromising handling at speed.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
UH YES.

Bottom line is this - in any situation where you need 4WD, you SHOULD NOT be doing more than 45mph. It's not even a matter of mechanical damage at this point, it's not being stupid.
I disagree on that. I have had plenty of times driving highway speeds over 45 in the rain/snow where my AWD was great to have. 4WD would cause mechanical problems I would think unless you had 4WD Auto engaged?

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Newbie question. It's recommended to go into 4WD less than 45mph. What if I'm going 70 and hit a snow storm? Must I slow down on the interstate?

If you're going 70 mph in a snowstorm, you're in the running for a Darwin award.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Now I’m confused......

the SHIFTING speed (max speed to shift into 4H) is 45 mph. I do not see a maximum driving speed in the manual while in 4H. I do see a max speed for 2L.

leaving all safety issues of driving 70mph on a freeway in a snowstorm, I want to ask this question with a hypothetical circumstance:

a MASSIVE newly paved and totally flat parking lot like one that surrounds a football stadium but 10x as large. It is covered in 3” of fresh snow and it has ice patches under the snow everywhere. You are granted Access to the parking lot ALONE for 1 hour.

are you folks suggesting that the Jeep cannot be put into 4H and then driven around that parking lot at 65mph without doing damage to the jeep?

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
I disagree on that. I have had plenty of times driving highway speeds over 45 in the rain/snow where my AWD was great to have. 4WD would cause mechanical problems I would think unless you had 4WD Auto engaged?
AWD is totally different than 4WD. You can run AWD systems up well past 100mph on dry pavement.

Now I’m confused......

the SHIFTING speed (max speed to shift into 4H) is 45 mph. I do not see a maximum driving speed in the manual while in 4H. I do see a max speed for 2L.

leaving all safety issues of driving 70mph on a freeway in a snowstorm, I want to ask this question with a hypothetical circumstance:

a MASSIVE newly paved and totally flat parking lot like one that surrounds a football stadium but 10x as large. It is covered in 3” of fresh snow and it has ice patches under the snow everywhere. You are granted Access to the parking lot ALONE for 1 hour.

are you folks suggesting that the Jeep cannot be put into 4H and then driven around that parking lot at 65mph without doing damage to the jeep?
Theoretically no, there should be no problem mechanically...you will annihilate fuel mileage though.

The speed limit exists for safety...there is no situation where it is both possible and safe to surpass 45mph and you NEED 4WD.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
All crazy inputs aside and not saying you should do 70 in a snowstorm, 70 in 4WD is OK . My JLU has full time 4WD and I've been in that at 70 on dry pavement no problem.

I'm sure the question was asked hypothetically so I guess if you are crazy/brave enough it'll work!

Go Jeep!!!

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
AWD is totally different than 4WD. You can run AWD systems up well past 100mph on dry pavement.
Well said, and quoting for emphasis. A lot of people don't realize the differences, and to be fair I don't feel like car companies/salesmen go out of their way to explain the differences either.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
All crazy inputs aside and not saying you should do 70 in a snowstorm, 70 in 4WD is OK . My JLU has full time 4WD and I've been in that at 70 on dry pavement no problem.

I'm sure the question was asked hypothetically so I guess if you are crazy/brave enough it'll work!

Go Jeep!!!
If you are using Selec-Trac then you are not technically in 4WD at 70mph. Selec-Trac will only engage the front axle when there is sufficient rear wheel slippage, and good luck getting sufficient rear wheel slippage at 70mph and living to tell us about it.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
If you are using Selec-Trac then you are not technically in 4WD at 70mph. Selec-Trac will only engage the front axle when there is sufficient rear wheel slippage, and good luck getting sufficient rear wheel slippage at 70mph and living to tell us about it.
Also 70 in 4 hi works fine too, same with my previous JK's. I mean mechanically it's not a problem. Crazy if ya wanna in a snow storm snow on the road, clear road ahead, tighten your seat belt and let her go!! LOL

OP
OP
Paulguy100

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
UH YES.

How would you suggest I keep up with traffic in less than ideal circumstances?

OP
OP
Paulguy100

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I should add this is a 2021 JLU Rubicon to differentiate between different AWD/4WD systems.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
How would you suggest I keep up with traffic in less than ideal circumstances?
I would suggest that you evaluate whether or not it is a smart idea to "keep up with traffic" given the weather conditions you are driving in. If you perform said evaluation and determine that it IS safe to "keep up with traffic", then you can forego 4WD, you don't need it. If you end up stuck or in the grass because you didn't use 4WD, then your evaluation was wrong. It was not safe to "keep up with traffic".

Lots of videos on youtube of tragic pileups that happened from people "keeping up with traffic" in bad weather. Theres no reason to assume that "traffic" knows what is safe.
Sponsored