OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I run in 4wd all the time above 45. Good luck running that slow on I70 over Vail pass in the snow. Please keep out of the way and don’t even think about running in the left lane of you're going that slow. Stay home. That being said, you can shift into 4wd at higher speeds but if you’re going to run those speeds, make sure you have snow tires or the like. You’re going to have a bad day if you try it in mud terrains. :CWL:
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I think it is important to differentiate between 4 WD and traction control.

Traction control works on all 4 wheels even when in 2WD.
Traction control, by definition, works on driven wheels. So, how would the non-powered wheels in a vehicle functioning in 2WD benefit from that feature?

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Traction control, by definition, works on driven wheels. So, how would the non-powered wheels in a vehicle functioning in 2WD benefit from that feature?
Traction control moderates throttle and break to compensate for poor driver skill.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Traction control moderates throttle and break to compensate for poor driver skill.
You may be confusing traction control with electronic stability control. The former limits wheel spin; the latter can assist in maneuvering a vehicle by modulating power delivery & braking (yes, possibly in reaction to incorrect driver inputs.)

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I believe traction control (or maybe it is called electronic stability control) will use the brakes to keep you under control on non-driven wheels as well.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
You may be confusing traction control with electronic stability control. The former limits wheel spin; the latter can assist in maneuvering a vehicle by modulating power delivery & braking (yes, possibly in reaction to incorrect driver inputs.)
Same diff

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Same diff
Such high-level analysis is what keeps us coming back to the forum. :LOL:

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Not true, it is there to enhance the vehicles performance in poor traction situation. It makes poor drivers drive better and better drivers better also. It does not say hey, this idiot doesn't know how to drive, lets help them out, it just does what it does.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
All three types of diff (open, limited, lock) have significant drawbacks which is why all three are available on the Wrangler.

Agreed but sounds like something FCA marketing would say:

The new 2020 Jeep Wrangler: Giving you options in significant drawbacks...

Sponsored

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Now I’m confused......

the SHIFTING speed (max speed to shift into 4H) is 45 mph. I do not see a maximum driving speed in the manual while in 4H. I do see a max speed for 2L.

leaving all safety issues of driving 70mph on a freeway in a snowstorm, I want to ask this question with a hypothetical circumstance:

a MASSIVE newly paved and totally flat parking lot like one that surrounds a football stadium but 10x as large. It is covered in 3” of fresh snow and it has ice patches under the snow everywhere. You are granted Access to the parking lot ALONE for 1 hour.

are you folks suggesting that the Jeep cannot be put into 4H and then driven around that parking lot at 65mph without doing damage to the jeep?
There is the damage from ROLLING it at that kind of speed on ice. But I think the drive train otherwise would be fine.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
So many people confuse snow with ice, what if he's out in 2' of fresh powder in middle of nowhere Nevada? Not only is 70+ just fun, what are you going to hit, a wide open desert also covered in snow. Someone should tell all of us out in the desert that over 45 in 4wd is bad. Not to mention, in a straight line or where the freeway barely curves wouldn't do any damage in 4hi even in dry pavement. The binding happens when the front tires and rear tires spin at a different rate, that doesn't happen going straight.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
So many people confuse snow with ice, what if he's out in 2' of fresh powder in middle of nowhere Nevada? Not only is 70+ just fun, what are you going to hit, a wide open desert also covered in snow. Someone should tell all of us out in the desert that over 45 in 4wd is bad. Not to mention, in a straight line or where the freeway barely curves wouldn't do any damage in 4hi even in dry pavement. The binding happens when the front tires and rear tires spin at a different rate, that doesn't happen going straight.
He said highway. Out on a flat smooth dirt road in the middle of nowhere is one thing. On an interstate is another. Even if there is no one around you. Visibility in a snow storm is not good enough to drive 70mph safely. As I mentioned before, youtube is full of videos that start out with people driving Subarus at 80mph in snowstorms with no one around them and end with a massive pileup and many dead.

Lets not confuse what the OP said by injecting all these different scenarios. We can play the "what if" game all day long, but this isn't the thread for that.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I could write a book on this.. but yes 45 mph in a straight line is fine. even more with RCV axles. And then snow vs ice and the all the conditions between. Now I know why FCA is moving towards a selec trac transfer case and awd
Sponsored

Last edited: