Rainy 45-50 MPH collision last night

crazy90'skid

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Silverado RCSB, 2020 JLUR
Just cut the airbag off, and do a little test drive, around the area. If everything handles normally, drive it home. Just be on the lookout for strange noises, or steering issues. . Really people, how did you ever survive, without airbags, back in the days. I remember when we didn't have to use seatbelts, and we got to ride in the bed of trucks.
Just because you find you can do something doesn't mean you should, modern cars aren't made at all like older cars, once the safety devices are defeated you have no line of defense. It isn't made like old cars, it sacrifices itself to save you instead of just being a tank that will kill you but look fine once they hose out your brain. There is no reason to endanger the drivers life here, and sure if he doesn't crash and if some damaged part of the front end doesn't give out at highway speeds and decide to finish off the jeep and the driver than it can make the drive. BUT taking those odds are a fool's gamble. I'm young and reckless and I wouldn't drive it anywhere but onto a tow truck, it's a new car with full coverage, get a rental you should get reimbursed, keep the receipt as proof and let insurance do what it's there for. OP you are lucky so far but don't push it, your life is worth more than having the jeep back home at the moment. There is a good chance the frame is bent and it could very well be totaled, so don't drive a death trap around regardless of some old timer telling you how back in the day no one gave a shit about safety, things are the way they are today because of mistakes of the past.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm sure you already did what you had to and are home. But, if you had asked your insurance company, they would have said not to drive it. The right thing to do would have been rent a car for the return home, empty the personal contents like it was the last time you would see it, and be on your way. BTW, this is a bit of notice to those of you who have customized your Jeeps to the point your insurance doesn't cover what you've added. Be prepared to deal with that. For me, if they didn't cover what I've added, I'd be willing to walk away from it or take it off, depending on convenience. But if you're far from home, not much chance of removing things.

You don't need to contact your insurance company before you rent the car. They cover what's on the policy. You get in an accident and you take care of the immediate issues and contact your insurance later. That's how it works. If you think about it, if you had been injured enough that you were taken from the scene, the whole issue would have been handled. The Jeep would be in a tow yard, you would be in a medical facility and a family member on the policy would have rented a car by now and be driving to and from the lodging and medical facility. The insurance would pay to cover what's on the policy. And what kind of insurance company doesn't have a 24/7 customer service line? Even if you get a person from the insurance company, it's a person with a career as a telephone answerer, not the "agent". They read from a list of things to say based on what you say happened. They don't "authorize" anything.

Last edited:

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Might have a little frame damage. I doubt they'll total it based on how that looks since it's still worth, what, 45k+ depending on options and miles? But you never know. You'll have a carfax report that'll look pretty bad and hurt the value in the future.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Might have a little frame damage. I doubt they'll total it based on how that looks since it's still worth, what, 45k+ depending on options and miles? But you never know. You'll have a carfax report that'll look pretty bad and hurt the value in the future.
it looks fixable, but definitely will effect resale value.

OP
OP

marv1294

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Student
Just got off the phone with the insurance company, they're sending someone to check it out sometime this week. If it need to be repaired, they will try to see if they can ship it back to NJ.

The woman i spoke to said it is usually easier to total it out especially because of the distance. But we will see this week.

I am hoping they will total it out, and will push for it to be totaled if not

Meanwhile, i get $20/day for a rental which doesn't even get me a Mitsubishi Mirage

Sponsored

OP
OP

marv1294

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Student
Exactly why I want it totaled, the carfax and value damage, and it will keep me up at night thinking it doesn't drive the same
But i hope i dont get too hurt by the settlement as I have a little over 28k miles on it in a year

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Exactly why I want it totaled, the carfax and value damage, and it will keep me up at night thinking it doesn't drive the same
But i hope i dont get too hurt by the settlement as I have a little over 28k miles on it in a year
Don't blame ya. Wish I was closer, it's tempted to have you buy it back if it were totaled, then make an easy fix on it. Even small frame damage is no big issue if fixed by a competent bodyshop. (ex bodyman here)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Not a post I wanted to make this week but I came here for some advice, being my first major accident in my seven years of driving

During the rains last night, I ended up being involved in a collision with a Grand Cherokee. I end finals this Weds and plan to bring the Jeep back home to NJ.

Anything I should watch out for during the 500 mile trek back home with a deployed airbag and stuck seat belt? I plan to switch to the spare because there are chunks missing out of my right front tire. The bumper ended up bending and the removable ends were pressing against the tire and the firefighters pulled it back out from the tire.

Does anyone have any reputable shops they recommend in the NJ/Eastern PA/NYC area?

And what is the likelihood that this will be totaled out? I checked Copart and the forums and there are a number of JLs with similar damage there. :(

As always, thanks for all your help and responses

NS3QlHj.jpg

ooZhzGq.jpg

5oyspVX.jpg

o8UNz1d.jpg

7ETVBvz.jpg

BthakAk.jpg

4DddMJZ.jpg

KreJigq.jpg

S0GtjBR.jpg

vfg474p.jpg
I wouldn't drive it.
Regarding where to take it...
In the past I have had a few accidents and I have found the best thing to do is call your local Porsche/Mercedes/BMW/ high end car dealer and talk to the manager of the service dept. Ask him where they take their cars when they need body work done and then call that shop. I did this here in NC and the local Porsche guy was very friendly and put me in touch with a place that did a lot of high end work but had no problem fixing my Toyota Highlander and they did an amazing job. I kept the car another 9 years and you still couldn't see where they fixed it.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
It may depend on the state you live in, but usually if the repair cost exceeds 70% of the value they will total loss the vehicle. In your case my guess would be less then $10k in repairs unless there is a tweak made to the frame that cannot be fixed. Good luck in getting it all back together. Next time if you have to drive an accident vehicle I would take it to a dealer for a safety check before getting on the highway.....

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Don't blame ya. Wish I was closer, it's tempted to have you buy it back if it were totaled, then make an easy fix on it. Even small frame damage is no big issue if fixed by a competent bodyshop. (ex bodyman here)
Yeah it would make someone a great "I don't care if I beat the shit out of it" rock crawler:like:

Sponsored

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Not a post I wanted to make this week but I came here for some advice, being my first major accident in my seven years of driving

During the rains last night, I ended up being involved in a collision with a Grand Cherokee. I end finals this Weds and plan to bring the Jeep back home to NJ.

Anything I should watch out for during the 500 mile trek back home with a deployed airbag and stuck seat belt? I plan to switch to the spare because there are chunks missing out of my right front tire. The bumper ended up bending and the removable ends were pressing against the tire and the firefighters pulled it back out from the tire.

Does anyone have any reputable shops they recommend in the NJ/Eastern PA/NYC area?

And what is the likelihood that this will be totaled out? I checked Copart and the forums and there are a number of JLs with similar damage there. :(

As always, thanks for all your help and responses

NS3QlHj.jpg

ooZhzGq.jpg

5oyspVX.jpg

o8UNz1d.jpg

7ETVBvz.jpg

BthakAk.jpg

4DddMJZ.jpg

KreJigq.jpg

S0GtjBR.jpg

vfg474p.jpg
NoOoOOoooo:crying:

OP
OP

marv1294

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Student
been rent a car for the return home, empty the personal contents like it was the last time you would see it, and be on your way
That's exactly what I did once the insurance said they'd ship it home if it's not totaled, which they think it is
Painful taking out all my stuff and the accessories that didnt involve too many tools

Yeah it would make someone a great "I don't care if I beat the shit out of it" rock crawler:like:
I'd love for someone to bring it back to life if it is totaled and see it here on the forums

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Was there an impact at the rear that affected the bumper? Or is that just a sign of the frame bending out of shape from the impact at the front?

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Rent a dolly and tow it home if you know someone with a truck. Definatly would not drive it..
Sponsored