OP
OP
wandrur

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have a soft top. Having had soft top Wranglers before, I'm glad they didn't slice through the windows or top. There is a certain logic to leaving soft tops unlocked to avoid such nonsense, though that wasn't the reason the doors were unlocked.

But, again--I don't keep anything of value inside my vehicle. So I consider myself lucky. But my vigilance will certainly increase moving forward.
Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I admit to forgetting to lock my Jeep when I got home yesterday.

I come out to head to work this morning, and I open my driver's door to find my glovebox contents emptied onto my front seats. Nothing was taken, so that's good. Really the only things in my Jeep are the paperwork, owners manual, the Jeep toolkit, and a multi-tool. I don't think they looked in the back, as I have a large tool bag there.

But I feel a little violated.
How the heck did they get into your garage?

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
This. I had a car get broken into twice while I lived in an apartment. Both times they busted the window. What did they get? A backpack full of military uniforms and stinky boots, which I'm sure was promptly tossed in a dumpster. They also broke my stereo trying to steal it. So, basically they got nothing and I was out a couple thousand dollars and got my ass chewed out for going to work in tennis shoes.
Had something similar happen when I was stationed at Campbell. They got my helmet and gortex. Decided to go try to find a replacement at the surplus store a few days later and there was my gortex on the shelf with my name still on it. Walked up and asked to look at the helmets behind the counter, not saying anything about the jacket. Well same thing, worse part they tried to charge me to get my stolen items back. Got my stuff back as soon as I mentioned to my wife that this place is trafficking known stolen goods and the Clarksville Police will be happy to hear about it.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Saw a sign that said (I have a shotgun and a back hoe). Hope the police were notified.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I meticulously placed razor blades in my center console with some very nice sunglasses laying at the bottom. When they reach in to grab them in the middle of the night they will be surprised when they realize they are drawing stubs back . Yeah there will be lots of blood, but I will gladly clean it up knowing they may have lost all their fingers!
Reminds me of what my buddy's brother did. Back in the 80s he had a CJ and had the stereo stolen which is pretty easy to do in those. So, on his new stereo, he soldered razor blades to the bottom of it. You guessed it... he came out to his Jeep one day to see a trail of blood BUT his stereo was still right where it belonged.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I meticulously placed razor blades in my center console with some very nice sunglasses laying at the bottom. When they reach in to grab them in the middle of the night they will be surprised when they realize they are drawing stubs back . Yeah there will be lots of blood, but I will gladly clean it up knowing they may have lost all their fingers!
Consider that You may be legally liable for their injuries if this is true.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
If they come onto my property and break into my rig …then rifle through my console? Lol. Good luck defending that position! Scumbags!!!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I call BS on that. They have no business being in your personal stuff.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Consider the poster assumed it would cut bone and "leave stubs, blood, and loss of fingers" from simple blades...you do the math.

Sponsored

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
If they come onto my property and break into my rig …then rifle through my console? Lol. Good luck defending that position! Scumbags!!!
100% agree with the sentiment......but law is not on your side

The most famous case about booby traps is Katko v. Briney. Every law school student studies it.

In the early 1970s, Edward and Bertha Briney owned an old, abandoned farmhouse in Iowa. The house was boarded up and the couple had placed several “No Trespassing” signs outside. Despite that, the house was frequently broken into. So Edward Briney rigged a 20-gauge shotgun to fire whenever a certain bedroom door was opened in the house.

Marvin Katko entered the house to steal fruit jars and opened the booby-trapped door. The shotgun blasted his legs and put Katko in the hospital. He filed a lawsuit, Katko v. Briney, and won a $30,000 settlement (which would be about $200,000 in 2021 dollars).

Edward Briney was later asked if he’d do anything different, and he said he’d have aimed the gun a few feet higher. :LOL:

Don't do it....or at least don't post publicly that you would do it, and now have knowledge that it should not have been done.....one other consideration, it could be a first responder that goes in there while attempting to help you in an accident that knocked you unconscious, trying to locate a phone or contact info.....they are not going to be happy with you

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
If you've got proximity locks and your Jeep is outside, you need to keep your key in something RF blocking. They'll just steal it out of your driveway using your key to open it and start it.
you have to be really close for the proximity locks. I have a small yard and driveway is next to my house. I was worried about that. It seems like I need to be within 5 feet of my Jeep for them to work.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I don't have a garage.
I was just pulling your leg. I keep mine garaged because it might rain ant second in FL. But I gave gas stuff stolen parking at the beach or grocery. Meth heads will steal anything.

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I'm lucky enough to be able to park in a garage. One of our neighbors caught a random guy on his security camera going around the area checking to see if car doors were locked/unlocked. This was about 3 in the morning.