Sponsored

Keeping it under 60 mph for first 500 miles?

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
  • Banned
When I had my TJ 15 years ago, Jeep required that you keep your speed under 60 mph for the first 500 miles. Is this still required?
Sponsored

jamotn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT, '14 Juke.'12 HD,'18 Indian Scout
Nobody does this stuff.Cars are ready to rock when you get them.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I went faster than that on the test drive. I didn't do any WOT blasts until I had about 1000 miles on it, and only because I had to.

Sponsored

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
When I test drove, I asked the dealer if I could push it a bit when I was getting on the highway. He said,, "Go ahead, this one isn't yours."

I didn't punch it to the floor, but I'm glad I ordered.

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
These engine break-in procedures are BS. I’ve never broken in a engine the way the manufacture tells you to and I have never had any issues from my cars or motorcycles. The most important thing to do is allow engine braking and modulate the throttle in the beginning. Just don’t set the cruise control and drive.

Last edited:

alphacc82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU - Punk'n
This is pretty much a religious debate... If you look into building engines and such you'll see a lot of people saying to beat em up initially. Let everything set in. This is my 7th brand new road vehicle in my lifetime so far and I treated it the same as the other, drive it normally. Anecdotal evidence sure, but I have never had an issue.

Do you really thing the common person actually reads the manual let alone cares? They sure as heck don't tell you on the test drive to take it easy. If this was actually important most vehicles out there would have issues. This is again me assuming the majority of people do not do the break in period.

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
This is pretty much a religious debate... If you look into building engines and such you'll see a lot of people saying to beat em up initially. Let everything set in. This is my 7th brand new road vehicle in my lifetime so far and I treated it the same as the other, drive it normally. Anecdotal evidence sure, but I have never had an issue.

Do you really thing the common person actually reads the manual let alone cares? They sure as heck don't tell you on the test drive to take it easy. If this was actually important most vehicles out there would have issues. This is again me assuming the majority of people do not do the break in period.
+1. I have always followed this method.

Sponsored

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Speed isn't too much an issue as RPMs. While I certainly wouldnt do a long highway roadtrip within the first 300 miles, if you're driving moderately you'll be fine. It drives me crazy when I see dealers demonstrating full throttle on brand new vehicles though. Thats looking for trouble.

I followed my manual for break in by the book but I'm sure the manual is pretty conservative. I saw a guy in Moab with a new JL who was taking it on trails with less than 100 miles on the odometer lol.

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
Cars are ready to rock when you get them.
"Drive it like you stole it." The tolerances on the parts are so much better than they were 30 years ago. I've been a gearhead longer than I care to mention, and about the only thing I've read on occasion lately is that the rings may not seat due to going too easy on it during break in. And that also could be just a rumor.
I guess I've never heard of, or seen an occasion where an engine was damaged due to being too rough on it during the first 500 miles or so.
For my first oil change, I like to change it a few thousand miles early, and either new or old, I try to let it get up to temp before hard use.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Do you really thing the common person actually reads the manual let alone cares?
Since my JL is on order and I don't have it yet, I downloaded the manual on the off chance that I might read it. Then I saw that it was 616 pages. OK, maybe it's not that bad, maybe there's a couple more languages in it so it's only 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 that size... Nope... It's all in English...

Probably going to need to read it some since those damn kiddie engineers screwed up things and put that computer controlled ignition in the vehicle instead of staying with the tired and true key system. :(

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm just a common person and even though I don't read the ENTIRE MANUAL, I highlite/choose sections/areas that i read/copy/note and yes I pay attention to speed limit signs, especially around schools-

I bend the rules, but obey the laws-

Whatever

JIMBO

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I guess I've always tried to go a little easier on new engines for the first couple hundred miles, but life happens and you can't obsess over it. For many people it's just not realistic to not need to accelerate quickly or go a little faster. And as others have said, uhm... test drives?? Yea, pretty sure those completely blow whatever "rules" are in the manual out of the water on a regular basis.
Sponsored