Sponsored

Keeping it under 60 mph for first 500 miles?

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
Road raced motorcycles for many years, had more than a couple motors built. Get a couple easy heat cycles on the motor then race them. :)
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Since my JL is on order and I don't have it yet, I downloaded the manual on the off chance that I might read it. Then I saw that it was 616 pages. OK, maybe it's not that bad, maybe there's a couple more languages in it so it's only 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 that size... Nope... It's all in English...

Probably going to need to read it some since those damn kiddie engineers screwed up things and put that computer controlled ignition in the vehicle instead of staying with the tired and true key system. :(
The new computer controlled ignition is horrible. It was so much better when you inserted a key that engaged a switch that told the computer to start the vehicle.... If it was up to me we would go back to the hand cranking days
SmoggyAmusingIguana-max-1mb.gif

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
The new computer controlled ignition is horrible. It was so much better when you inserted a key that engaged a switch that told the computer to start the vehicle.... If it was up to me we would go back to the hand cranking days
One good thing about the hand crank days was that because of it, less women drove... Same goes for the days before automatic transmissions... :)

Of course, between the time of hand cranking the engine and having a computer that takes it's input from the key switch, there was a long period of time where the key switch controlled the power to the start (via relay) and the starter would keep cranking as long as you had the key turned to the start position. That worked well for a LONG time, so why change it? These days, they've thrown a computer into it and that is just one mo

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
One good thing about the hand crank days was that because of it, less women drove... Same goes for the days before automatic transmissions... :)

Of course, between the time of hand cranking the engine and having a computer that takes it's input from the key switch, there was a long period of time where the key switch controlled the power to the start (via relay) and the starter would keep cranking as long as you had the key turned to the start position. That worked well for a LONG time, so why change it? These days, they've thrown a computer into it and that is just one mo
I hear ya. I don't even let my wife drive her own car!

Yeah, I don't know what changed. Well, other than fuel injection, high pressure fuel pumps, antitheft measures, OBDII, PCMs, TCMs, and basically everything else.

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

From the manual. I had a few instances of hitting 55-65mph right around 250 miles but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I made sure to change revs if cruising for any distance.

2018-06-12_10-06-28.jpg
Ack! I was doing 75 within the first mile after leaving the dealership - and at least 85 during my commute the next day.

Sponsored

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I may be purchasing from a dealer in Houston and I live in Dallas, about 275 miles away and I don't plan to drive it home under 55mph (if I can help it) . And it won't be the first time I bought a new car miles away from home and drive it on the Interstate at anything less than 65 mph for the first hundred miles.

I do try to vary the speed a bit, but I still use cruise control and try not to go over 75, but that's all the TLC my engine will get. I may decide to change the oil the first time a bit sooner.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I may be purchasing from a dealer in Houston and I live in Dallas, about 275 miles away and I don't plan to drive it home under 55mph (if I can help it) . And it won't be the first time I bought a new car miles away from home and drive it on the Interstate at anything less than 65 mph for the first hundred miles.

I do try to vary the speed a bit, but I still use cruise control and try not to go over 75, but that's all the TLC my engine will get. I may decide to change the oil the first time a bit sooner.
If you haven't considered it yet, take MegaBus down and then drive back -- unless you are bringing your trade-in vehicle with you. They are really cheap on certain days and probably just as fast as driving yourself.

Also, on the way back there is a way you can drive a bit slower and not be viewed as a slowly moving speed bump on I-45. Old TX-75 parallels I-45 for a good portion of the way back up to Dallas. You'll go through some smaller towns and it will take more time, but your speed will be more varied.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
When I test drove, I asked the dealer if I could push it a bit when I was getting on the highway. He said,, "Go ahead, this one isn't yours."

I didn't punch it to the floor, but I'm glad I ordered.
I straight up told the dealer that's my preferred system--test drive the nuts off a similar model, then purchase a different one.

The pros/cons of a custom order are well worth it to me. The Jeep is going to be broken in properly.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I talked with our company's chief mechanic who has been a gear head for 55 years. He has two underlings and they support a fleet of 175+ semi-trucks, trucks, forklifts, and cars. He is typically a very conservative guy.
He said drive it at the speed limit. Ignore the break in warnings. He said if it was his vehicle he would run the oil a little longer the first time.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I hear ya. I don't even let my wife drive her own car!

Yeah, I don't know what changed. Well, other than fuel injection, high pressure fuel pumps, antitheft measures, OBDII, PCMs, TCMs, and basically everything else.
Q

MikeJenkins

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Wife did the recommended break in thing. I was hauling all get out as soon as I got mine. Guess we'll see :like:

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Nowadays in order to reduce emissions the engines come with ultra-slick internal coatings on the pistons, rings, and cylinders rather than requiring the old breakin period. This lets them run much tighter tolerances than the old school way of doing things. What *may* require breakin is the axles. Traditionally Dana axles have been very "tight" from the factory, producing a lot of heat during breakin that could destroy them if you ran them at high speeds for extended periods of time. My TJ came with warnings to stop and let the axles cool down every 5-10 miles or so if you were going to run them at high speeds before 100 miles.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Ack! I was doing 75 within the first mile after leaving the dealership - and at least 85 during my commute the next day.
First mile fleeing the dealership , and Second day rushing to arrive early at work .
Sponsored