James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
How would you suggest I keep up with traffic in less than ideal circumstances?
If traffic is operating at a non-safe speed for the less than ideal circumstances, then try and remove yourself from the traffic in a safe manner as soon as possible. It may save you from being a statistic later down the road.

I think the feedback here is that your average Jeep off the lot isn't built to be a race car, Baja contender, etc. But, it is built to get from point A to point B even if that means going 20 MPH in 4H or 5MPH in 4L because there is a mix of Snow, Mud, Rocks and various sketchy (but fun) angles in-between. :)
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I don’t think that the OP needs any of us here to lecture him about how to drive.

His question is simple: “can I drive in 4H in mixed snowy conditions above 45mph?” The answer to that, I think, is “yes“ as long as you are not on clear pavement as that will have a tendency to tear up your drivetrain.

OP
OP
Paulguy100

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I don’t think that the OP needs any of us here to lecture him about how to drive.

His question is simple: “can I drive in 4H in mixed snowy conditions above 45mph?” The answer to that, I think, is “yes“ as long as you are not on clear pavement as that will have a tendency to tear up your drivetrain.
Thank you!!!!

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.

He said 70. Otherwise I agree...going "over 45" is not insane...but going 70 is. That said, it's pretty likely that going over 45 is not smart.

I can't speak for the rest of the group but I was directly answering his questions. One of his questions had a little bit of snark in it, so my reply also had a little bit of snark.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T

Yes, that is true, you can driver over 45 MPH in 4WD. I do it all the time in mine. However, you do need to shift from 2H to 4H at 45 MPH or below ... makes a gawd awful noise if you don't, and 4WD may or may not function correctly after said noise ;) .

Sponsored

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
Newbie question. It's recommended to go into 4WD less than 45mph. What if I'm going 70 and hit a snow storm? Must I slow down on the interstate?
If you are on dry or just wet pavement, you most likely do NOT need 4HI. If there is snow covering the pavement, and not just dust blowing around, then slow down to a more reasonable speed and engage 4HI only if really needed. Remember that on your Rubicon, that is only 1 front and 1 rear wheel being driven, not 4 wheels. Frankly, the Rubicon is NOT the best option for rain/snow. Getting the Sahara with the available AWD would be better for pavement pounders. So, just keep this in mind. I will most likely run into this scenario myself, but I may take out the F-150 with AWD, which only engages front axle if slippage is detected. Bottom line, use common sense and you'll be fine. As a newbie, I hope you get some chances to see what the Rubicon is capable of. It is a true beast off-road.

OP
OP
Paulguy100

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
If you are on dry or just wet pavement, you most likely do NOT need 4HI. If there is snow covering the pavement, and not just dust blowing around, then slow down to a more reasonable speed and engage 4HI only if really needed. Remember that on your Rubicon, that is only 1 front and 1 rear wheel being driven, not 4 wheels. Frankly, the Rubicon is NOT the best option for rain/snow. Getting the Sahara with the available AWD would be better for pavement pounders. So, just keep this in mind. I will most likely run into this scenario myself, but I may take out the F-150 with AWD, which only engages front axle if slippage is detected. Bottom line, use common sense and you'll be fine. As a newbie, I hope you get some chances to see what the Rubicon is capable of. It is a true beast off-road.
So in 4HI they are open differentials, and only lock in 4LOW? That's actually another newbie question I had. Also, in hindsight maybe I should have said 55 mph rather than 70 on the freeway.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
So in 4HI they are open differentials, and only lock in 4LOW? That's actually another newbie question I had. Also, in hindsight maybe I should have said 55 mph rather than 70 on the freeway.
No they only lock when you lock them. Lockers are open until they are switched into lock mode. Also, the idea that when in "open" only 1 wheel per axle is being driven is not accurate. As long as both wheels (per axle) have traction, they are both being driven. When one loses traction all the torque goes to it, which is why the BLD system will brake that wheel to force power to the wheel on the ground.

All three types of diff (open, limited, lock) have significant drawbacks which is why all three are available on the Wrangler.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Truly depends on road conditions. I live in Canada and drive on snowy roads a lot. 60-70mph on the highway while it's snowing isn't uncommon. Depends how busy it it too. No issues being in 4WD at those speeds. Used to have a Tacoma and Tundra that were 4WD only, no 4Auto on those.

But because I'm in Canada I opted for 4WD Auto (SelecTrac). Makes winter driving a breeze. Set it and forget it, like Ronco says.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
If you’ll drive in snow with 4wd engaged AND drive just like you would in a 2wd vehicle you’ll be fine. Folks get in trouble when they drive excessively fast Because they have 4wd. Remember you’ve got more traction to “go” but no more traction to “whoa”, which is one big reason you see a number of 4wd vehicles sliding into the median or off the shoulder. seen it a lot in the last 30 years as 4 WD has became more common...

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If you’ll drive in snow with 4wd engaged AND drive just like you would in a 2wd vehicle you’ll be fine. Folks get in trouble when they drive excessively fast Because they have 4wd. Remember you’ve got more traction to “go” but no more traction to “whoa”, which is one big reason you see a number of 4wd vehicles sliding into the median or off the shoulder. seen it a lot in the last 30 years as 4 WD has became more common...
The way that concept was first phrased to me when I was younger and had my first 4WD truck was "4WD helps you go a lot, helps you steer a little, but helps you stop not in the slightest". Lesson learned was to still drive safely, and extra safely when the conditions warrant 4WD.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I would suggest that you evaluate whether or not it is a smart idea to "keep up with traffic" given the weather conditions you are driving in. If you perform said evaluation and determine that it IS safe to "keep up with traffic", then you can forego 4WD, you don't need it. If you end up stuck or in the grass because you didn't use 4WD, then your evaluation was wrong. It was not safe to "keep up with traffic".

Lots of videos on youtube of tragic pileups that happened from people "keeping up with traffic" in bad weather. Theres no reason to assume that "traffic" knows what is safe.
This! Wow!

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Where are you able to go 70mph in a snowstorm? Here, you'll instantly be behind a minivan with chains going 12mph whenever there's even a light flurry.
I75 north of Saginaw.
As for shifting INTO 4wd above 45mph? It’ll be harder and will cause wear if you do it all the time. Once in, go nuts- not gonna hurt anything- unless you run out of talent, of course. Now, since your Jeep has traction control and VSP, the stability benefit of 4wd is less than it used to be.