CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
That no ground plane antenna would be a real last resort - perhaps only marginally better than the stubby antenna on a GMRS hand-held radio.

An exterior, properly mounted 6db (Midland or equivalent) antenna will have substantially better performance.
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Just got the Midland MXT275 and am wondering about mounting the little mag antenna on my winch plate. Is that to low? I know higher is better but no magnetic surface. I did order the 6db antenna and cable and a fender mount but just wondering on the little mag antenna for now until I can install the other stuff.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Also wondering about mounting on the back where the CB antenna is. With the hardtop is this a bad idea? Looking to swap over from CB to GMRS and the 32” midland 6db antenna.

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
" The length of coax needed is relatively short. One of the VERY worst things that you can do to destroy your antenna performance is to coil up excess coax. Be VERY careful about this. If you have the tools/skills to shorten the coax after the install to fit your needs, you must do this, or, alternatively buy coax that is already shorter." It is my understanding that 19 feet of coax is good for improved performance; could I simply route the excess cable along the door sill to the back then back to the radio mounted under the passenger side seat? This would leave the coax uncoiled but at its original length.

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
Should mention that CoolTech makes very well designed and manufactured parts. The tailgate antenna mounts I bought as Christmas gifts were very well received...

Sponsored

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Should mention that CoolTech makes very well designed and manufactured parts. The tailgate antenna mounts I bought as Christmas gifts were very well received...
I have their stuff for my CB and love it. @CoolTech it looked like your GMRS mount in your kit is for the tailgate. Is that correct?

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I mounted one inside the jeep on the rear sport bar. I tapped the back of the seatbelt and bolted it there. Works well for trail comms. It gives up some range for a ham radio if your looking for distance, but for GMRS and just trail comms in a group, it is great.

I used a NMO mount

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount IMG_0940.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount IMG_0943.JPG

With the Hard top
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount IMG_0949.JPG

With the soft top
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mount IMG_0948.JPG

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I have their stuff for my CB and love it. @CoolTech it looked like your GMRS mount in your kit is for the tailgate. Is that correct?
Yes, the all-in-one-kit with the Midland 275 has our rear bracket. Now that our front-mount bracket is available, I'll try to modify our web page to make the front mount an option in the kit. Until then, just email me.

The front-mount has a couple of advantages. First, it is super-easy to install. Those looking for a mount that is easy and where routing the coax can be done quickly, the front mount is a good choice. Perhaps also for those that want to continue to have their CB antenna at the back of the Jeep.

Because the front mount can use the aluminum hood as a ground-plane, I would expect that the performance of the front mount is also going to be better than the rear mount.

Suffolklou - I like what you did and it's great for a stealth mount. Trail performance with your group should be no problem at all.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the all-in-one-kit with the Midland 275 has our rear bracket. Now that our front-mount bracket is available, I'll try to modify our web page to make the front mount an option in the kit. Until then, just email me.

The front-mount has a couple of advantages. First, it is super-easy to install. Those looking for a mount that is easy and where routing the coax can be done quickly, the front mount is a good choice. Perhaps also for those that want to continue to have their CB antenna at the back of the Jeep.

Because the front mount can use the aluminum hood as a ground-plane, I would expect that the performance of the front mount is also going to be better than the rear mount.

Suffolklou - I like what you did and it's great for a stealth mount. Trail performance with your group should be no problem at all.
would you include a shorter coax run for the front mount. Not sure where I would run 19ft if I did a front mount.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
would you include a shorter coax run for the front mount. Not sure where I would run 19ft if I did a front mount.
Yes, absolutely. I think that is critical and, as far as I am aware, we're the only ones doing it. If you look at the front mount GMRS bracket on our website, you will see a pull-down with 3 different ordering options. First is just the bracket and mounting hardware. The second option lets you opt to include 12' of coax. Finally, the third option lets you order the mount, 12' coax and the Midland 6db antenna all together.

A couple of things to say about the coax. We are including 12' for the front mount bracket. This would allow you, for example, to mount the antenna on the driver's side and route the coax into the cabin and all the way over to behind the glovebox (where some people prefer to mount the Midland 275.) We are open to feedback. If 10' is a more preferred length, we can do that. Note that we retain the "cool" Midland removeable coax end. This lets you route the coax through a very small hole or grommet and then attach the PL-259 connector when you are done.

(Note: It is Jan 3 and we are expecting to have a new shipment from Midland by Thursday, Jan 7 so orders would be shipped then.)

Sponsored

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
It is my understanding that 19 feet of coax is good for improved performance; could I simply route the excess cable along the door sill to the back then back to the radio mounted under the passenger side seat? This would leave the coax uncoiled but at its original length.
For a properly mounted antenna the coax length is irrelevant. Sure you could mess around with it running it all over your Jeep or just cut it to length and put a new PL259 connector on it. Also coiling the coax isn't the issue, coiling it too tightly and damaging the coax is. Coiling coax around a 2-2.5" form is commonly called an air choke or ugly balun and is used to keep common mode current off of the outer shield of the coax.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I have the GMRS antenna mounted to the right rear of the hood using a trunk mount NMO. I use the Phantom antenna from Midland mainly. I do have the high gain antenna as well. The VSWR sweeps were excellent on both across the GMRS band.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
I have the GMRS antenna mounted to the right rear of the hood using a trunk mount NMO. I use the Phantom antenna from Midland mainly. I do have the high gain antenna as well. The VSWR sweeps were excellent on both across the GMRS band.
Mind sharing a photo? I'm thinking of mounting mine similarly.

Flyn G

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2021 Subaru WRX
Occupation
DFJ Pilot
Good news! I was literally about to email and ask about that.
Sponsored