General Winch Advice

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
The bumper looks good! I've been eyeballing that one myself. How do you like the fit and finish of it? Also could you post a few more pics of it. I've been trying to find real life pics vs the advertisement ones. Thanks, sorry to hijack your thread.
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That's why a fuse is useless . They make fuses rated that high of amperage but they simply won't blow, the wire shielding would be a melted puddle first. The battery would die before a fuse that high rated would blow.
Are you saying that if you touch the positive winch cable to the ground that a 300 amp fuse won’t blow? I haven’t tried it but in my unprofessional opinion it should blow.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Are you saying that if you touch the positive winch cable to the ground that a 300 amp fuse won’t blow? I haven’t tried it but in my unprofessional opinion it should blow.
I've seen it with my own eyes, a fuse that high in amperage is almost impossible to blow. It may blow or the battery will discharge first either way not a desirable end result. If you took the cable straight to ground I'll bet the fuse blows but in a chaffing I would bet battery goes first. Point here is that there is a better solution with a solenoid which warn sells for this very purpose. Warn does not ship with or recommend a fuse.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Wired right to the battery, no fuse no solenoid , been like that on every Jeep I’ve had and the trucks my dad has since 83 :like:

3484BA93-AF84-44E5-9894-104DC9B196DC.jpeg

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've seen it with my own eyes, a fuse that high in amperage is almost impossible to blow. It may blow or the battery will discharge first either way not a desirable end result. If you took the cable straight to ground I'll bet the fuse blows but in a chaffing I would bet battery goes first. Point here is that there is a better solution with a solenoid which warn sells for this very purpose. Warn does not ship with or recommend a fuse.
I used both. Warn doesn’t ship with a solenoid or recommend to “not use a fuse” either. But I get your point in that a solenoid is better.

One reason I use a solenoid is because I have a winch that is radio controlled, smittybilt x20. This winch draws power for the radio controller and thus has a switch on the winch to turn it off. With a solenoid, I can leave the controller switch on all the time because there is no power to the winch.

Sponsored

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
78E12588-E831-4F65-A398-A848FC70470F.jpeg
I went with Warn 8K just need to swap out the wire rope for synthetic line. Used Maximus winch plate. Wired directly to battery.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
20190809_113711.jpg
20190809_113809.jpg

Mine has negative straight to battery, positive to solenoid and solenoid to battery with short one foot run. Solenoid triped by aux switch.

There is a hole already there where bracket was installed, I just put in nutsert and bolted bracket to space it out over factory wiring.

Sidewinder just installed, haven't tried yet.
Where did you get the bracket for the solenoid?

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Where did you get the bracket for the solenoid?

It was left over from the bumper install. It was intended to adapt a cube light instead of factory fog lights. I was going through my junk I keep looking for metal to fabricate something and came across these that I saved and it fit what I needed with no modification. That's why I never through away metal pieces, often they repurpose well.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
It was left over from the bumper install. It was intended to adapt a cube light instead of factory fog lights. I was going through my junk I keep looking for metal to fabricate something and came across these that I saved and it fit what I needed with no modification. That's why I never through away metal pieces, often they repurpose well.
Thank you for the info, kind sir. It looks perfect for the job.