Sponsored

FYI "Forced Regen"

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
My dpf levels consistently drop on the highway. It won't drop to 8 percent, but it will drop 8 to 15 points from the starting point. Eventually reaching 80 percent. This usually takes 1500 to 1600 miles. I would also mention urea is not injected into the dpf. It is injected into the scr. These are 2 separate aftertreatment systems. They are usually 2 different canisters, but can be housed in the same canister in some instances su h as the ecodiesel.
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Curious as to why one would want this?

I am not sure if the ecodiesel is the same but with the Cummins if the DPF reaches a certain soot level even the shop cannot force a regen.
I'm thinking that it'd be useful to force it before heading off road for a few days of rock crawling & camping. I don't have my JLURD yet, so I'm just speculating.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
When I head west on I70 out of Denver I will see my DPF level drop. My EGTs will stay well over 1,000 degrees at the turbo and at least 800+ at the DPF filter. That's hot enough to burn down the level pretty good. It's a long 6-8% grade and the engine is really working.

Of course, coming down from the mountains I'll drop all the way down to the 300s and DPF level will go back up.
I used to make that drive to my home in Evergreen every day. Curious: How much exactly did it drop during the climb? For those unfamilar, if it doesn't drop during that run, it doesn't drop anywhere. :) [In the course of 10 miles, the elevation goes up by 3,000']

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I used to make that drive to my home in Evergreen every day. Curious: How much exactly did it drop during the climb? For those unfamilar, if it doesn't drop during that run, it doesn't drop anywhere. :) [In the course of 10 miles, the elevation goes up by 3,000']
I haven't paid attention well enough to answer. Dozens of percentage points for sure.

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
I still think that passive regen is largly a myth. It would seem like a road trip would have enough highway driving, and therefore create enough exhaust heat, to passively regen if it was really a viable operation. Does anyone have experience(s) where the DPF has dropped effectively by simply driving on the highway? If I started at 80% and did a long highway stretch, would it eventually get down to 8%? Or...does it take an 80mph run up a hill, against the wind, towing a trailer?
I installed a scangauge II and drove 600 miles (mostly 75mph). The gauge never showed a regen occurring (the distance from last regen is still blank). The soot level typically drifted down at speeds greater than 70mph and drifted up at speeds less than 60mph. I started at 54% STM and saw it go down to as low as 28%. It then drifted back up to about 34% at slower speeds at the end of my trip.

I think that is evidence that passive regen is real.

Last edited:

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Mine will drop 2-4 pts driving up the hill to Evergreen. Keep in mind you are burning a ton of diesel in this climb so you are adding as it is regening. My 2020 F250 was much better at passive Regen.
Sponsored