FYI "Forced Regen"

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
My dpf levels consistently drop on the highway. It won't drop to 8 percent, but it will drop 8 to 15 points from the starting point. Eventually reaching 80 percent. This usually takes 1500 to 1600 miles. I would also mention urea is not injected into the dpf. It is injected into the scr. These are 2 separate aftertreatment systems. They are usually 2 different canisters, but can be housed in the same canister in some instances su h as the ecodiesel.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Curious as to why one would want this?

I am not sure if the ecodiesel is the same but with the Cummins if the DPF reaches a certain soot level even the shop cannot force a regen.
I'm thinking that it'd be useful to force it before heading off road for a few days of rock crawling & camping. I don't have my JLURD yet, so I'm just speculating.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
When I head west on I70 out of Denver I will see my DPF level drop. My EGTs will stay well over 1,000 degrees at the turbo and at least 800+ at the DPF filter. That's hot enough to burn down the level pretty good. It's a long 6-8% grade and the engine is really working.

Of course, coming down from the mountains I'll drop all the way down to the 300s and DPF level will go back up.
I used to make that drive to my home in Evergreen every day. Curious: How much exactly did it drop during the climb? For those unfamilar, if it doesn't drop during that run, it doesn't drop anywhere. :) [In the course of 10 miles, the elevation goes up by 3,000']

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I used to make that drive to my home in Evergreen every day. Curious: How much exactly did it drop during the climb? For those unfamilar, if it doesn't drop during that run, it doesn't drop anywhere. :) [In the course of 10 miles, the elevation goes up by 3,000']
I haven't paid attention well enough to answer. Dozens of percentage points for sure.

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
I still think that passive regen is largly a myth. It would seem like a road trip would have enough highway driving, and therefore create enough exhaust heat, to passively regen if it was really a viable operation. Does anyone have experience(s) where the DPF has dropped effectively by simply driving on the highway? If I started at 80% and did a long highway stretch, would it eventually get down to 8%? Or...does it take an 80mph run up a hill, against the wind, towing a trailer?
I installed a scangauge II and drove 600 miles (mostly 75mph). The gauge never showed a regen occurring (the distance from last regen is still blank). The soot level typically drifted down at speeds greater than 70mph and drifted up at speeds less than 60mph. I started at 54% STM and saw it go down to as low as 28%. It then drifted back up to about 34% at slower speeds at the end of my trip.

I think that is evidence that passive regen is real.

Last edited:

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Mine will drop 2-4 pts driving up the hill to Evergreen. Keep in mind you are burning a ton of diesel in this climb so you are adding as it is regening. My 2020 F250 was much better at passive Regen.

Threedom