Sponsored

Forgot to push the engine off button. In Manhattan!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Wow what a dummy, and a lucky dummy.
My wife had a procedure and is in a hospital in NYC. Thank God she’s on the mend.
I go to visit her and was so giddy that I got a parking spot. I park, read the signs while in the Jeep and I guess pushing the off button on the auto air must’ve subconsciously made me think I pushed the engine off button.
Did I mention I’m a dummy?
2 long hour visit I come walking down the street and notice my lights are on. I figured my knee must’ve hit the auto lights dial which I’ve done before. As I approach the drivers door I see through the window “fob has left the vehicle”. I get in engine’s running. What a f**kin jerk.
I at least remember hitting the proximity lock button but I was a window smash away (and thief knowing how to drive stick) from losing my baby.
I’m still pissed at myself.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@sf5211

Your mind was elsewhere lets say (understandably so) and well chitt happened... don't beat yourself up about it...

Anyway...... what really is important / that matters, is that your Wife is doing aok.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Wow what a dummy, and a lucky dummy.
My wife had a procedure and is in a hospital in NYC. Thank God she’s on the mend.
I go to visit her and was so giddy that I got a parking spot. I park, read the signs while in the Jeep and I guess pushing the off button on the auto air must’ve subconsciously made me think I pushed the engine off button.
Did I mention I’m a dummy?
2 long hour visit I come walking down the street and notice my lights are on. I figured my knee must’ve hit the auto lights dial which I’ve done before. As I approach the drivers door I see through the window “fob has left the vehicle”. I get in engine’s running. What a f**kin jerk.
I at least remember hitting the proximity lock button but I was a window smash away (and thief knowing how to drive stick) from losing my baby.
I’m still pissed at myself.
Mine honks at me annoyingly 3 times when I exit with the engine running like when I'm airing my tires back up or getting out to open and close gates. I figured they all did that.

Sponsored

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
The real question is what are you doing parking in neutral? One might go so far as to say you don’t know how to drive stick.
Having to go to the hospital for your spouse has been known to distract people. Maybe leaving it in gear wasn't the most important thing he was thinking about at that moment.

One might go as far as to say you don't know how to play nice on the internet.

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe >-- Bluebird Wanderlodge PT-38
Sounds like good news all around. Your mind was in the right place (focused on your family). And the world exceeded your expectations for its level of goodness :)

Plus, absolutely no harm was done. Time to celebrate.

Dan

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I've done it, went into Home Depot and when I came out my new RAM was still running, doors locked as usual, I thought they wouldn't, but I guess with the FOB in my pocket they will lock. At 76 I wondered was it me, or just thinking about what I was going to buy in the store, probably me.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I've done it, went into Home Depot and when I came out my new RAM was still running, doors locked as usual, I thought they wouldn't, but I guess with the FOB in my pocket they will lock. At 76 I wondered was it me, or just thinking about what I was going to buy in the store, probably me.
I occasionally leave it running and lock with the proxy on my Ram when I'm doing a quick trip in a store with the dogs in the truck to keep the AC on. A little more security for a window break in that situation, though.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Having to go to the hospital for your spouse has been known to distract people. Maybe leaving it in gear wasn't the most important thing he was thinking about at that moment.

One might go as far as to say you don't know how to play nice on the internet.
It is always good to have situational awareness and park safely. Niceness is overvalued in our society.

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
Double security is manual trans and dropping xfer case into neutral.