Push button 4WD for the Wrangler

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
I got into this debate with someone who was going on and on about push button 4WD functionality appearing in more true off-road capable SUVs, and I thought I'd check with all of you on your thoughts....

I LOVE that I have a lever I can pull back into 4HI or 4LO.

Others I've talked to claim I'm just old, living in the past, and should adopt the new way of the 4WD world.

Would Jeep ever change from a lever to a button in a Wrangler? I really hope they don't.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S, 2024 WILLY's
I’m a first time owner and I actually like it as it is. But you know kids these days they like everything at a push of a button.

Sponsored

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

My only complaint about the transfer case lever is that it is so perfectly positioned that I sometimes find myself grabbing that instead of the shift lever.

Anyone else sometimes wish that the automatic had a steering column mounted shift lever?

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I really don't care either way, as long as it functions properly and I know what mode I'm in.

Haven't had the 4WD lever since my '86 Cherokee, and while it worked just fine once the gears meshed up, it wasn't exactly a smooth process and it always felt like you were about to break something.

Sponsored

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
My only complaint about the transfer case lever is that it is so perfectly positioned that I sometimes find myself grabbing that instead of the shift lever.

Anyone else sometimes wish that the automatic had a steering column mounted shift lever?
No..... absolutely not.

sxv-wtf.gif

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I'd think the biggest loss would be for those who flat tow. I don't believe any of my button/knob actuated 4wds have had a neutral position. My Ram has a light for "N" when it switches into low, but it's not a selectable position.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
There's no shortage of posts by owners who claim to "need" the 8.4" Uconnect touchscreen, leather seating surfaces, adaptive cruise control and all of the other tech encumbrances that plainly dilute what we might refer to as the Wrangler DNA.

With such preferences being so well-documented here, it's fair to ask why the community doesn't just finish the job and go all in for push-button transmission dials and buttons. On that point, here's a fine bit of garment rending already well underway.

I like analog controls, personally. The disconnect on display in this thread will be humorous to observe.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
There's no shortage of posts by owners who claim to "need" the 8.4" Uconnect touchscreen, leather seating surfaces, adaptive cruise control and all of the other tech encumbrances that plainly dilute what we might refer to as the Wrangler DNA.

With such preferences being so well-documented here, it's fair to ask why the community doesn't just finish the job and go all in for push-button transmission dials and buttons. On that point, here's a fine bit of garment rending already well underway.

I like analog controls, personally. The disconnect on display in this thread will be humorous to observe.
There is a big practical benefit to the push button/knob for the Auto Trans and Tcase, it frees up all that room for more console space.

My Ram has both, and it makes the console huge. Ram did an awesome job with taking advantage of it with sliding and flip up storage.
Sponsored