Sponsored

JL Push Start Manual Transmission (not push button)

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the market for a 2-door JL with a manual transmission, but I don't like the push button starters on most cars.

I know that no one has a 2-door JL on this forum yet, but maybe one of you with a 4-door manual transmission model can answer this question for me.

If, for whatever reason, you cannot start the vehicle with the battery (maybe battery is too low or the starter has quit on you), can you physically push the JL and start it if it has a manual transmission. Every other manual transmission vehicle that I've ever owned (even diesels) are able to do this, but none of them have ever had a push button start button. I really like this feature of a manual transmission and if Jeep has removed the capability, I might have to start thinking about a JK instead. Yeah, I know it's a feature that you should seldom have to use, but I consider it like a spare tire -- it's nice to have, just in case.
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
There's accessory and run mode just like a normal ignition, so I would think you could pop start it.

OP
OP

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There's accessory and run mode just like a normal ignition, so I would think you could pop start it.
So, there's some method for selecting between ACC and RUN when the vehicle is running? In other words, you could turn the vehicle off while it is still moving like you do with a normal vehicle by switching the key from RUN to ACC?

And what happens if you are moving and switch to RUN, but do not press the start button? Will it start up when you pop the clutch? It seems to me that their switching to this start button thing just made what used to be a simple system overly complex and I'm afraid that in the process it might have taken away some capabilities that were nice to have in emergencies.

But then again, I'm an old fart and I have had vehicles that had separate mechanical starter buttons where the keys only had basically an OFF and ON position to them.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
So, there's some method for selecting between ACC and RUN when the vehicle is running? In other words, you could turn the vehicle off while it is still moving like you do with a normal vehicle by switching the key from RUN to ACC?

And what happens if you are moving and switch to RUN, but do not press the start button? Will it start up when you pop the clutch? It seems to me that their switching to this start button thing just made what used to be a simple system overly complex and I'm afraid that in the process it might have taken away some capabilities that were nice to have in emergencies.

But then again, I'm an old fart and I have had vehicles that had separate mechanical starter buttons where the keys only had basically an OFF and ON position to them.
My Chrysler 300C has the same push button ignition as the JL. If you push the button with your foot on the brake the engine starts and it’s in RUN and the accessories are on. If you push the button without your foot on the brake the ACC (accessories) turns on, then you can push the button again without your foot on the brake and it selects RUN but the engine doesn’t start. I’m not sure I would mess with while moving. Someone else can try that. Haha

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
Ok...I think we are forgetting something here...in the remote case that the main battery AND the ESS battery are completely dead...the ECU wouldn't have power...so...you can't put the Jeep into ACC or RUN modes...because nothing has power.

Unfortunately...I don't think there is anything you can do in this case other than get a jump start. If you don't carry cables or a jump start box...you might want to add them to your accessories. I don't have my JL yet so I don't know first hand...but it is my take on it...

Sponsored

OP
OP

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Chrysler 300C has the same push button ignition as the JL. If you push the button with your foot on the brake the engine starts and it’s in RUN and the accessories are on. If you push the button without your foot on the brake the ACC (accessories) turns on, then you can push the button again without your foot on the brake and it selects RUN but the engine doesn’t start. I’m not sure I would mess with while moving. Someone else can try that. Haha
Damn, a whole new manual of operations just to operate the "key" of the vehicle. Reminds me of another vehicle... Turn key to ON, turn fuel pump on, select left mag, press starter button, switch to right mag for taxi, switch to both for takeoff... Actually, that's a bit abbreviated, the full procedure was a bit longer...

OP
OP

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ok...I think we are forgetting something here...in the remote case that the main battery AND the ESS battery are completely dead...the ECU wouldn't have power...so...you can't put the Jeep into ACC or RUN modes...because nothing has power.

Unfortunately...I don't think there is anything you can do in this case other than get a jump start. If you don't carry cables or a jump start box...you might want to add them to your accessories. I don't have my JL yet so I don't know first hand...but it is my take on it...
As the original post said, I'm not talking about when the battery is COMPLETELY dead, just too low for the starter to engage or if the starter is having problems even when the battery is fully charged.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Someone else on the forum here has bump-started their JK by rolling it down the driveway.

— edit - I meant JL

OP
OP

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Someone else on the forum here has bump-started their JK by rolling it down the driveway.
Yeah, but the JK does not have that stupid push button starting system on it. It used a more reliable manual key system.

Sponsored

OP
OP

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dang it, I meant JL - stupid autocorrect with 10 years of learning....
I haven't finished that thread yet, but so far, it seems that the car's operating system must have been written by Microsoft... Close all the windows, get out of the car, get back in the car, open up the windows again...

And no, I'm not an Apple fanboy... As much as I hate Microsoft, I hate Apple even more. I'm an old-school UNIX person, starting with an AT&T 3B2 from a LONG time ago...

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

You're overthinking this, it's no different than your traditional ignition from the past 50+ years. When your engine is running ANY ignition is in the RUN position.

Example of a typical American car:
Turn he key counterclockwise all the way for accessory. This mode allows you to run little things like the radio.

Turn the key one click clockwise and you'll unlock the steering wheel. One more click clockwise and you'll put the ignition into RUN position, where everything electrical is running, including hearing the fuel pump prime. Turn the key clockwise once more and that will engage the starter and when you release the key, the ignition springs back to RUN.

Now to pop start a JL:
Press START button once and you'll see you're in ACC mode. Press it again and you'll see RUN mode. Put the Wrangler in neutral, start pushing it, hop in, hold in clutch, put in 1st gear, let go of clutch, engine turns over and starts.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
As the original post said, I'm not talking about when the battery is COMPLETELY dead, just too low for the starter to engage or if the starter is having problems even when the battery is fully charged.
Right. A completely dead battery won’t even run the electric fuel pump to prime the engine. Then again, modern vehicles use capacitors to store energy so maybe it would work. Not as simple as my old vw bugs.

trble

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Vet
I'm in the market for a 2-door JL with a manual transmission, but I don't like the push button starters on most cars.

I know that no one has a 2-door JL on this forum yet, but maybe one of you with a 4-door manual transmission model can answer this question for me.

If, for whatever reason, you cannot start the vehicle with the battery (maybe battery is too low or the starter has quit on you), can you physically push the JL and start it if it has a manual transmission. Every other manual transmission vehicle that I've ever owned (even diesels) are able to do this, but none of them have ever had a push button start button. I really like this feature of a manual transmission and if Jeep has removed the capability, I might have to start thinking about a JK instead. Yeah, I know it's a feature that you should seldom have to use, but I consider it like a spare tire -- it's nice to have, just in case.
I always have a portable battery jumper. Well worth the investment and its saved me on numerous occasions. Many other options for use as well.
Sponsored