Fobless key

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR, 2001 Wrangler TJ Sport
Those key chains are all over amazon. So why would you carry just the key and no key fob
If I'm going fishing, boating or anything water related, I don't want to take a chance getting the fob wet. ... so I have a Faraday bag that I put the fob in, then hide the fob inside the Jeep.

I then lock it with physical key and I am not worried about getting anything wet.
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
If I'm going fishing, boating or anything water related, I don't want to take a chance getting the fob wet. ... so I have a Faraday bag that I put the fob in, then hide the fob inside the Jeep.

I then lock it with physical key and I am not worried about getting anything wet.
That makes sense

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR, 2001 Wrangler TJ Sport
I tried putting one of those in my front pocket one time and it cut me in my waist thighI t it's very sharp sitting down with one of those in your pocket
Ouch! ... I'll try real hard not to do that

Sponsored

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Need help understanding the fobless key thing....dont you need the fob to start the Jeep and activate/deactivate alarm?!

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Need help understanding the fobless key thing....dont you need the fob to start the Jeep and activate/deactivate alarm?!
It all depends on if you have the proxmprox buttons. If you do you just push the button on the door handle and it locks and sets the alarm. If you don't have that feature then yes you have to use a key fob to lock and unlock and set the alarm

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
It all depends on if you have the proxmprox buttons. If you do you just push the button on the door handle and it locks and sets the alarm. If you don't have that feature then yes you have to use a key fob to lock and unlock and set the alarm
What about start the Jeep?

Doesnt the fob have to be close by to use proximity?

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Using the great info on this thread I ordered both a faraday bag and two of the fiat/jeep blanks on amazon. If anyone is in the sac/auburn, ca area, the place called "Locksmith & Key" on the corner of 49 and Palm in Auburn, CA cut both keys for $30. Took about 10 minutes.
For some reason after walking the dogs out in the middle of nowhere yesterday, I decided to check on my hide a key and make sure the spare key works.

Turns out that if you unlock the door with the blank I had cut, it sets off the [factory] alarm which won't go off until you hit the lock/unlock button on the fob. Is there a reason that unlocking the door lock sets off the alarm? What's the point of even having a door lock there that actually unlocks the door if you still need a fob?

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
For some reason after walking the dogs out in the middle of nowhere yesterday, I decided to check on my hide a key and make sure the spare key works.

Turns out that if you unlock the door with the blank I had cut, it sets off the [factory] alarm which won't go off until you hit the lock/unlock button on the fob. Is there a reason that unlocking the door lock sets off the alarm? What's the point of even having a door lock there that actually unlocks the door if you still need a fob?
It's been reported that if you lock with the fob, you have to unlock with the fob. You should lock manually if you plan to unlock manually.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
It's been reported that if you lock with the fob, you have to unlock with the fob. You should lock manually if you plan to unlock manually.
Oh! That's good to know. I usually end up locking with the little button on the outside door handle. That's probably the same as locking with the fob.

Mountaineers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I found a fobless key that will work with the JL locks. It's a 2016 renegade emergency key, also referred to as 2015 - 2016 Jeep Fiat High Security Emergency Key. I ordered online ($3) and had it cut local. There may be other keys that work, the dimensions are 3mm X 7.5mm.

foblesskey.jpg
I was able to find this key. Any ideas on creating a “handle” of sorts to make using it to open the doors easier?
Sponsored