Sponsored

Fobless key

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@mgarciaknight

You might want to hold off on spending the $ to cut that spare key!

THREEDOM is actively working on a RFID+keyholder ! Will be avail. in the near near future..

SO, you would take the stock key out of a stock JL fob and attach that key to the Threedom RFID+keyholder.

The RFID chip itself, removed form the stock fob is a fully sealed/protected chip.... it is waterproof and quite durable...

With that said, you would use the RFID+keyholder/your stock JL key...... You would attach assembled affair to your swimsuit or whatever and then go surfing, swimming or whatever. No worry about water related damage to the RFID chip...

You come back to the JL \, after your water play .....and you open the JL with the key, press the keyholder against the start button with your foot on the brake pedal and your JL starts up and is driveable..

Anyway, you could keep one of your stock fobs, stock and easily remove the key from the other stock fob and use that key with the Threedom, RFID+keyholder..

I expect that the RFID+keyholder will sell for just a few $..

Sponsored

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
@mgarciaknight

You might want to hold off on spending the $ to cut that spare key!

THREEDOM is actively working on a RFID+keyholder ! Will be avail. in the near near future..

SO, you would take the stock key out of a stock JL fob and attach that key to the Threedom RFID+keyholder.

The RFID chip itself, removed form the stock fob is a fully sealed/protected chip.... it is waterproof and quite durable...

With that said, you would use the RFID+keyholder/your stock JL key...... You would attach assembled affair to your swimsuit or whatever and then go surfing, swimming or whatever. No worry about water related damage to the RFID chip...

You come back to the JL \, after your water play .....and you open the JL with the key, press the keyholder against the start button with your foot on the brake pedal and your JL starts up and is driveable..

Anyway, you could keep one of your stock fobs, stock and easily remove the key from the other stock fob and use that key with the Threedom, RFID+keyholder..

I expect that the RFID+keyholder will sell for just a few $..

Nice! Thanks for the info.
And your scenario was spot on!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess this means you can crank an armed JL w/ its RFID chip alone..no need to disarm..hmm
@Tommywear

No one said the locked JL was "armed". The JL owner would lock the JL with the key and unlock with the key..... Do this and alarm is not set and alarm does not have to be turned off before you unlock the door...

The owner could, if they wanted to ....... lock the JL with the door lock switch or a fob....("armed"). and when he/she opened the door with the key alone, the horn would honk continuously / briefly, until the owner got into the JL and stopped that action...

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Received my key blank from bestkeysupply.com this afternoon. My local Jeep dealer said they will cut it for $25

Looking forward to the THREEDOM key+RFID - thanks for the info @Rhinebeck01

Wonder how the RFID chip gets programmed & cost

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Received my key blank from bestkeysupply.com this afternoon. My local Jeep dealer said they will cut it for $25

Looking forward to the THREEDOM key+RFID - thanks for the info @Rhinebeck01

Wonder how the RFID chip gets programmed & cost

@Left Field

In regard to the soon to be offered, THREEDOM, RFID+keyholder ....... it is a key holder made from "Durable Engineered Plastic ", that has a small pocket so to speak.... where you place the programmed RFID chip taken from your stock fob into it.

With that said you buy the RFID+keyholder from THREEDOM, attach your stock key to it, place your RFID chip into it's chip holder and you are ready to go....

OH .... your cut key blank will probably not fit the RFID+keyholder... unless the blank/the end of the blank key is shaped, etc. exactly the same as a stock JL/JT key.

Sponsored

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
@Rhinebeck01 Ahhhh, got it.

I had misunderstood that to be just describing the characteristics of the RFID chip.

Makes perfect sense now, thanks!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
@Left Field

In regard to the soon to be offered, THREEDOM, RFID+keyholder ....... it is a key holder made from "Durable Engineered Plastic ", that has a small pocket so to speak.... where you place the programmed RFID chip taken from your stock fob into it.

With that said you buy the RFID+keyholder from THREEDOM, attach your stock key to it, place your RFID chip into it's chip holder and you are ready to go....

OH .... your cut key blank will probably not fit the RFID+keyholder... unless the blank/the end of the blank key is shaped, etc. exactly the same as a stock JL/JT key.

I happen to have a complete spare (4th) Key Fob assembly, but with a bad circuitboard from a leaking battery. The RFID and hard key are fine and I'll harvest these for a minimalist rig.

BTW, it was interesting just playing with the tiny RFID chip and starting the Jeep, no battery, no FOB. That little chip needs to be almost touching the start button.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I reached out to Threedom yesterday and you guys/gals that surf, skydive, swim , etc. will be glad to hear that finally the THREEDOM, RFID+keyholder will be available. I wast told it would be available within in the next weeks..

In regard to the THREEDOM, RFID+keyholder ....... it is a key holder made from "Durable Engineered Plastic ", that has a small pocket so to speak.... where you place the programmed RFID chip (RFID chip is waterproof) taken from your stock fob into it.

With that said, you buy the RFID+keyholder from THREEDOM, and place your RFID chip into it's chip holder and attach you factory key to it...... and you are ready to go....

You will be able to just carry the JL key attached to this key holder when you are doing your passion...

It will allow you to lock and unlock the JL. You will take the end of the key and press it against the start button so you can start and drive your JL. No, you will not be able to activate the JL's security system or when you go to unlock the JL, you will have honk/honk alarm.

Anyway, I was assured this THREEDOM, RFID+keyholder will be avail in the next few weeks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I reached out to Threedom yesterday and you guys/gals that surf, skydive, swim , etc. will be glad to hear that finally the THREEDOM, RFID+keyholder will be available. I wast told it would be available within in the next weeks..

In regard to the THREEDOM, RFID+keyholder ....... it is a key holder made from "Durable Engineered Plastic ", that has a small pocket so to speak.... where you place the programmed RFID chip (RFID chip is waterproof) taken from your stock fob into it.

With that said, you buy the RFID+keyholder from THREEDOM, and place your RFID chip into it's chip holder and attach you factory key to it...... and you are ready to go....

You will be able to just carry the JL key attached to this key holder when you are doing your passion...

It will allow you to lock and unlock the JL. You will take the end of the key and press it against the start button so you can start and drive your JL. No, you will not be able to activate the JL's security system or when you go to unlock the JL, you will have honk/honk alarm.

Anyway, I was assured this THREEDOM, RFID+keyholder will be avail in the next few weeks.
This is something I kept meaning to suggest to them, glad to see they are making it.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Good to see a company follow up on customer suggestions in a reasonable time. You and I both made this suggestion to them not all that long ago.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

For the Pure Sport Owners, this is as close as it gets to the old "key locks, key ignition " days.
A Giant Plus is eliminating intercepted/ hacked codes and proximity theft when your Fob is close enough for the vehicle to be started and driven off.
This is what I've been waiting for, smaller size makes it worthwhile over just taking battery out of my Fob

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
They make key chains that are water proof and up north where they snow ski and south where we water ski and use water craft we have little containers for your wallet or keys that are water proof so you don't have to leave your key fob in your car or truck or Jeeps. These has been around for decades I had one for my Jet ski (stand up) back in the 80s this isn't anything new where you now have to leave your keys and key fob inside your vehicle