Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
@bwright1818
I wouldn't worry about it. The guy making fun of you has a bikini-colored JL. He probably has a lot of anger to let out on the world lol
Hey hey hey Rally. Mines Bikini colored too and I was sticking up for Bill. Lol
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea I realized that after I posted and was just hoping you would let it fly lol

It's ok, though. I'm a big, manly man in a jeep... with a car seat in the back haha

OP
OP

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Thanks. If you read some of these threads long enough, you start thinking that the Jeep wave is really the middle finger. Whatever. It's okay. Whenever people come across as thinking they know everything, that is direct evidence that they actually don't.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i cannot say ive had issues with my fob not wanting to be read by the jeep. I have camped some ares into the 20 degrees F. never had tot press the key to the button YET. But i do know batteries hate cold. I believe OP that this very well was the problem. We can only assume fca uses cheap batteries to run the FOB.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
The temp dipped to a whopping 31 degrees.
I can't imagine what 31 degrees feels like. I have never been up north anytime between the middle of October and the middle of April. That trip in April was a one time thing.

(Around here on Cape Cod, some people are still wearing shorts at 31 degrees.)
I am sure I would not be able to have any children if I tried that.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
The question that the OP asked, and I'm right up there with you Bill, is how come the key fob needs to be so close to the vehicle and the EZPass technology works flawlessly over many feet, through glass? I've had my EZ pass for years not and never had any problems with it. Of course I have not had any problems with my JL Key fob either (had since Oct 2018), but was wondering the same thing about the technology. Maybe it has to do with the Jeeps Battery/key fob needing more power to link for some reason.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@bwright1818, @timn1984; to answer your question about the EZ Pass vs the key fob...there are a couple reasons why they don’t work the same way. There are several technologies that toll tags can use, but the main thing is that the reader is connected to power constantly. This means that the reader can be more powerful and doesn’t have to rely on the toll tag to transmit a super strong signal whereas the Jeep is limited to battery power. The second reason the fob doesn’t work the same is security...if the fob can only be read a short distance from the reader (ignition switch) so that the ease of theft is reduced. If the vehicle could read the fob from 20 to 30 ft away like a toll tag system, the vehicle could easily be stolen. If your bedroom is close to where you park...a thief could jump in and start the vehicle without needing the key with them. Hopefully that answers your questions.

Also, as others have pointed out, of it happens again, just use the small end of the fob to press the ignition...it’s a fail safe that Jeep included in case of a dead fob battery and should start the Jeep.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Another option would be to put the key fob in a pocket close to your skin for a while, the heat should allow the battery to work again.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
@bwright1818, @timn1984; to answer your question about the EZ Pass vs the key fob...there are a couple reasons why they don’t work the same way. There are several technologies that toll tags can use, but the main thing is that the reader is connected to power constantly. This means that the reader can be more powerful and doesn’t have to rely on the toll tag to transmit a super strong signal whereas the Jeep is limited to battery power. The second reason the fob doesn’t work the same is security...if the fob can only be read a short distance from the reader (ignition switch) so that the ease of theft is reduced. If the vehicle could read the fob from 20 to 30 ft away like a toll tag system, the vehicle could easily be stolen. If your bedroom is close to where you park...a thief could jump in and start the vehicle without needing the key with them. Hopefully that answers your questions.

Also, as others have pointed out, of it happens again, just use the small end of the fob to press the ignition...it’s a fail safe that Jeep included in case of a dead fob battery and should start the Jeep.
Makes sense, thanks for the reply.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have had the same thing happen if I leave the fob in the Jeep overnight even if it is not cold out. So it may not be related to the cold but just that you left it overnight.

I also had to replace the key fob battery after about 2.5 years. It started working intermittently.
Sponsored