Sponsored

Front 12v (cig lighter) doesn't work anymore.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I had a 2 USB adapter in the front 12v outlet and it stopped working. Figuring it was just a crappy adapter I bought another one. It doesn't work either. Is there a fuse for this somewhere I can check?

Thanks!
Sponsored

fyr145

First Name
Lon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Public Safety - (ret.)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2 USB adapter in the front 12v outlet and it stopped working. Figuring it was just a crappy adapter I bought another one. It doesn't work either. Is there a fuse for this somewhere I can check?

Thanks!
check the fuse at F52 position in the power distribution center (fuse box) under the hood. Its a yellow 20 amp blade style fuse

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@fat_head , @fyr145's advice is sound. I do though, without insulting any one's intelligence want to just get it out there, in case unknown, that this electrical outlet you speak of is of the "accessory," not "battery" variety. In other words it's energized when the rig is on, not parked long term.

The same outlet in the cargo area, if equipped, is of the "battery" variety. It's energized by default from the factory when the JL is on or off. This default behavior can be changed by moving a fuse as per the owner's manual.

Off topic, I have a dual camera system that needs to know if the rig is shut down, in which case it too will shut down if the battery voltage drops below a user programmable voltage threshold. While there are several ways to provide the camera with this information, my approach was to plug into both above mentioned "cig lighters." The one in the cargo area provides the camera with the juice, even when the rig is shut down, to remain on until this voltage threshold is reached. The front cig lighter provides the camera with the intelligence to know that the engine is off because the front cig lighter provides no current in such circumstances.

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
check the fuse at F52 position in the power distribution center (fuse box) under the hood. Its a yellow 20 amp blade style fuse
Found the problem! Which is actually a blessing in disguise. Leaving tomorrow for a LONG overland trip and didn't even think about extra fuses. I'm going to the store now to stock up on them. Thanks fyr145

IMG_4082.jpg

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Just a word of warning: Pep Boys, Oreillys, Autozone nor NAPA carry micro fuses. And since dealerships are closed in Texas on Sunday I'm SOL till tomorrow.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you don't have heated seats you can pull #57 or #58 and use it for your 12v supply fuse. There's also a few extra fuses spread out in the fuse box, they're typically mounted on those higher perch clips designated w/ an outlined rectangle on your fuse box lid.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Found the problem! Which is actually a blessing in disguise. Leaving tomorrow for a LONG overland trip and didn't even think about extra fuses. I'm going to the store now to stock up on them. Thanks fyr145

IMG_4082.jpg
Thanks for sharing @fat_head. I'm glad the issue was straightforward.

Note to self: put extra fuses in cargo tub.

fyr145

First Name
Lon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Public Safety - (ret.)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing @fat_head. I'm glad the issue was straightforward.

Note to self: put extra fuses in cargo tub.
I always carry extra fuses in my glovebox just for that reason. Never hurts to have them ready.

fyr145

First Name
Lon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Public Safety - (ret.)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a word of warning: Pep Boys, Oreillys, Autozone nor NAPA carry micro fuses. And since dealerships are closed in Texas on Sunday I'm SOL till tomorrow.
Maybe consider Harbor Freight. Ours here are open on Sundays.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Wierd, I was prepping for the trip I'm on now and I found the proper fuses in a O'Reilly in CA. I bought them in an assortment pack. I believe they are the "micro" size. "mini" have a larger blade and total width. I could have this backward, but they did have the correct size as I had to replace one before the trip.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Maybe consider Harbor Freight. Ours here are open on Sundays.
We had a car burn down due to a cheap "made in China" fuse from Harbor Freight. There was a short and the fuse did not open. I would only use a name brand fuse since this is a safety item.
Sponsored