Flat Tow if JL cannot be started?

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Is there a procedure now how to flat tow if that jeep JL cannot be started. I know the transmission can be shifted to neutral by pulling the strap behind the gear lever - what else are the steps if need to flat tow a jeep without starting...
Sponsored

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
Is there a procedure now how to flat tow if that jeep JL cannot be started. I know the transmission can be shifted to neutral by pulling the strap behind the gear lever - what else are the steps if need to flat tow a jeep without starting...
Transfer case in neutral , Tow bar w/ safety chains, Magnetic tow lights for the rear ?

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I believe transmission should be in park, not neutral, to prevent gears turning. Transfer case in neutral. And don’t forget to disengage the hand brake!

OP
OP

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Just to clarify keep the transmission in Park and change the transfer case to neutral and no need to pull the orange strap to shift to neutral but just the transfer. Correct?
I have to take it about 20 miles from home and have the is radiator removed so cannot start the jeep.Plan is to buy a tow bar from Harbor Freight and use it for this temporary move and bring it back. I need to get my bumper front bracket repaired from a body shop.
Towing company will charge around $200 each way so $400 both way....

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Below is FCA’s recommendation for flat towing. The problem may be how to get the transfer case into neutral. I’m not sure you can do so while the transmission is in park. If you can, then you’re golden.

C3C439FD-4D6A-4342-91E9-50D1F04D90AA.jpeg
Sponsored

Reactions: PSI