Sponsored

First Oil Change Thoughts and a Question

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
It's not a huge thing, but once I commit to changing oil in a vehicle, I just want to do it in an expeditious time. I put on nitrile gloves and just want to finish without taking them off and putting on another pair or reusing the old dirty pair. On my truck, I can do the change in about 15 minutes total, not counting disposing of the oil. I suppose I could knock 10 minutes out of that if I was doing this in a pit stop for a race. I spend a little more time with the JL, since I've only changed it a few times.

I found that with a QD, I had to warm up the engine oil by driving first. It helps a lot in the drain speed.
The friggin JL V6 is the easiest oil change EVER!!! I don't need it any easier (I'd feel kinda guilty, lol)
Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
The friggin JL V6 is the easiest oil change EVER!!! I don't need it any easier (I'd feel kinda guilty, lol)
Agreed! Man…I wish all vehicles used the same filter type and location. Super easy! And I don’t even need to raise the Jeep up at all as there’s plenty of space underneath.

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

@mwilk012

YUP!

O-ring in the right groove is very very important!
It's also a good idea to put some oil on the new o-ring before you roll it onto the oil filter cap housing..

I always tell guys/gals here, when you unscrew/remove the 68191350AA Oil Filter Housing Cap..... as soon as you remove it from the JL/JT.... lay it on a piece of cardboard or whatever and take a close up cellphone pic of it with the oil filter on it....which clearly shows the exact groove the o-ring is residing in....

This way you have a reference as to where the o-ring need to go. It's easy to get distracted and then have an oh chittt moment in regard to which groove did the o=ring go into.

oring-filler cap.jpg

Old thread but had a question on this. When the o-ring is in the wrong groove, once the oil temp rises there definitely is a loss of oil. My question is, how does one clean the oil off the exterior of the engine? Any thoughts on how best to accomplish this would be appreciated. Pressure wash? Use some kind of degreaser? Leave it and let it burn off?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've used the engine degreaser sprays (smells like diesel) then pressure wash at the quarter car wash.

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

I've used the engine degreaser sprays (smells like diesel) then pressure wash at the quarter car wash.
Thx. Engine on or off while power washing it? I’ve heard both ways, so not sure if it matters.

Sponsored

JL ME

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys ,2006 Roadking , 2008 Hayabusa
Occupation
Industrial Maintenance
Old thread but had a question on this. When the o-ring is in the wrong groove, once the oil temp rises there definitely is a loss of oil. My question is, how does one clean the oil off the exterior of the engine? Any thoughts on how best to accomplish this would be appreciated. Pressure wash? Use some kind of degreaser? Leave it and let it burn off?
I had the oil dipstick not all the way in with only 1,000 miles on it and lost 1 quart of oil all over the top of the motor.
What a mess! i just hosed it off with a hot water hose (not a pressure washer) and got it clean.
Then used an air compressor and blow gun to dry it off.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thx. Engine on or off while power washing it? I’ve heard both ways, so not sure if it matters.
Engine off and warm, but not so hot as to risk igniting the engine degreaser. Give it 30 minutes or so after driving to cool down. Read the instructions on the can.

CreepyCrepe

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge Green JLUWS, 20 Honda Pilot Elite
Clubs

LA's Awesome Cleaner is stupid cheap and does a good job. As others have said, apply liberally, let it sit and then rinse. Just mind the electronics.

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Thx all - very helpful!
Sponsored