Sponsored

First JL OIL CHANGE.... , COMPLETED W/ DIY INSTRUCTIONS AND PICS

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
I must have missed those posts.

There is no reason to fill through the "dipstick tube" or to pour into the hole where the oil filter cartridge resides... Just remove the oil fill cap and pour into that fill hole...
Thanks. Does the filter housing go in to the cooler or back to the block/pan?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
This thread will provide the info I believe you are seeking. Watch the video someone posted in that thread.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/new-metal-oil-filter-housing.91287/
Thanks. I hate when they put important items or a leak path in the valley under the manifold. So dumb. The aluminum replacement housing is a copy of the plastic OEM and may have similar flaws but at least the block off port plugs are threaded instead of glued in place.

Looking at him moving the housing around I would say the oil drains to the block on the lower right side port and you could fill the engine this way. I will give it a shot this weekend.

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
I started doing my own as well after the free ones were done, and glad I did. Seems last oil change they put the drain plug bolt on with an airhammer, so that had to be replaced. You can literally do a full oil change within 10 minutes on these. Its so nice.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Wow, that was pretty damn easy!

Honestly think this might've been the first oil change I've done myself in over 30 years of driving, and think it only took me 15 or 20 minutes tops, including the time it took to drain the oil out. Probably spent more time prepping and cleaning up than the oil change itself.

Hardest part was when I went to do this earlier in the weekend and realized I didn't have any tool sets at home or even at work with a 24MM or 15/16 socket. Took me forever to find a Dewalt 1/2"-drive set that included both, cause I mean really.. why order a single $7 socket when I can buy a whole 23-piece set with a new ratchet for only $40 (LINK, also includes 13MM and 1/2") 😁

Forgot the damn torque wrench at work, so as long as there's not a big puddle under the vehicle, I'd say it went pretty well 🤞
Sponsored