First Oil Change too Early?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I've always gone by the fact that the vehicle leaves the factory with whatever type of oil and/or break in additive added that they wanted in it for the first oil change interval.

And it gets drained out at 5000 miles and then whenever the computer says 20% remaining or so onward.
There are no special additives.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
You could change it every 50 miles or 30 minutes of driving
you could change it when the light comes on
you could change it at any point in between.
your decision

in roughly 15 or 20 years, there will likely be very few new vehicles that will require oil, let alone a change of oil. So, we can all passionately discuss when to do a battery swap instead. And the answers above will still apply.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Itā€™s not acceptable to expect them to exercise this level of care and skill because he makes low wages.
If that's the case then he needs to be fired. Employees wages should have no bearing on the quality, skill and pride he takes in his work.

I've had to clean toilets at less than minimum wage. They were spotless along with stuff I was not asked to do such as sinks, bulkheads, decks, etc.

I ran a trim department in the late 80's that was a tight ship. I went through quite a few losers before I found good ones who took pride and care. And guess what, when we were short handed I did not stand around with my thumb up my butt. I expected no less or more than what I was willing to do.

When I topped out at that job I took almost a 50% wage cut to get another job. I did not hesitate because I knew within a few years I'd be making a more money and gain respect because of my work ethic.

Deleted member 59498

I changed mine at 3000. Was 9 months old because of working from home so much. Was free and no questioned asked, they actually gave me the little sticker to come back at 3000 more miles or whatever months.

Is there something bad about having fresh oil every few 1000 miles :)

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've always gone by the fact that the vehicle leaves the factory with whatever type of oil and/or break in additive added that they wanted in it for the first oil change interval.

And it gets drained out at 5000 miles and then whenever the computer says 20% remaining or so onward.
I thought similarly about factory additives, until I spoke with the Blackstone tech (see above) who advised that they are the same as those included in fresh oil, and therefore aren't for "break-in" purposes. There's no need to worry about keeping the factory additive running through a new engine for a specific amount of time, because it'll just get replaced with new additive when you add fresh oil. As such, the decision on when to do the first oil change is just based on one's personal tolerance for how long they prefer suspended metals running through their engine. Not going to continue beating that dead horse though, as some prefer to do it at <500 miles, while others do it when the oil monitoring system reads 0%. To each his/her own, but just wanted to set the record straight on the additive issue.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I thought similarly about factory additives, until I spoke with the Blackstone tech (see above) who advised that they are the same as those included in fresh oil, and therefore aren't for "break-in" purposes. There's no need to worry about keeping the factory additive running through a new engine for a specific amount of time, because it'll just get replaced with new additive when you add fresh oil. As such, the decision on when to do the first oil change is just based on one's personal tolerance for how long they prefer suspended metals running through their engine. Not going to continue beating that dead horse though, as some prefer to do it at <500 miles, while others do it when the oil monitoring system reads 0%. To each his/her own, but just wanted to set the record straight on the additive issue.
A couple things:

There are no suspended metals running through your engine - they get trapped in the filter, as that is it's purpose....

And "setting straight on the additive" you are quoting what BLACKSTONE told you. Not what the actual process is on the assembly line.

By the way Blackstone is a provider who wants you to pay them for analysis post oil changes. Perhaps they have a vested interest in more oil changes?

This all comes down to YOU want to self-validate what YOU DID as being correct. Not sure it was. But guess what? It's your Jeep -- do what you like.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
A couple things:

There are no suspended metals running through your engine - they get trapped in the filter, as that is it's purpose....

And "setting straight on the additive" you are quoting what BLACKSTONE told you. Not what the actual process is on the assembly line.

By the way Blackstone is a provider who wants you to pay them for analysis post oil changes. Perhaps they have a vested interest in more oil changes?

This all comes down to YOU want to self-validate what YOU DID as being correct. Not sure it was. But guess what? It's your Jeep -- do what you like.
If Blackstone isn't a reliable source of information, who do you suggest as an alternative?

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I seriously have never understood why people bother with oil analysis. To me it seems like a complete waste of time and money. I've never done it on any of the 30 cars I've owned, and I've always done my own usual maintenance and never had any issues. So, what is the driving factor for people to want to pay to get oil analyzed in 2021?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
A couple things:

Why do you have such an interest in sticking to this position?

There are no additives placed in oil from the factory.

There are small metal particles in your oil that are not filtered out.

These are just plain facts.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
A couple things:

Respectfully disagree, as the numbers and science don't lie. There's plenty of metal that doesn't get captured by the filter, and this was both scientifically confirmed by the oil analysis, and practically confirmed by what a magnet picked up when dragged thru the oil itself. It's totally normal and a well-known fact within the automotive industry. Nothing new here.

As for Blackstone and other providers, they have a reputation to maintain, so they have no reason to make up some alternate facts about factory additive. This wouldn't necessarily motivate someone to continue/discontinue future oil analyses anyway, so I'm not sure your assertion is all that valid. Again though, you are free to believe what you wish and do what you like....it's your Jeep.

Sponsored

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLU Sport S, ā€˜16 Silverado
A couple things:

Not all. The big ones do, but not all particles are caught.

Tell us, then, what is the ā€œactual processā€ on the assembly line? Show me a picture of the oil drum marked ā€break-in oilā€ and Iā€™ll donate $100 to your favorite charity. There isnā€™t one.

itā€™s not post change they want but during the oils life cycle. But then why does Blackstone 99% of the time suggest changing your oil LESS often and waiting for several more changes of oil before sending in a new sample? If they wanted to be a money grubbing company theyā€™d say they found something every time and want a sample every change or even multiple times in an oil cycle. Hereā€™s the thing: they donā€™t. Not saying they are perfect just saying they have a good reputation for a reason.

True. If you want to change oil every 50 miles, feel free to. But donā€™t be mad if I think itā€™s stupid.

I seriously have never understood why people bother with oil analysis. To me it seems like a complete waste of time and money. I've never done it on any of the 30 cars I've owned, and I've always done my own usual maintenance and never had any issues. So, what is the driving factor for people to want to pay to get oil analyzed in 2021?
Knowledge. Itā€™s what you donā€™t know that can get you.

Seriously, though, thereā€™s no reason to do it unless you want to know how healthy your vehicle is for the long haul. Most people trade vehicles often enough it doesnā€™t matter, but if you do want to know, you have that ability to do it.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I changed the filter at 1000 and 3000 miles, but otherwise followed the light for the oil. The filters are <$10 and take 60 seconds to swapā€¦ may not be needed, but it was cheap and made me feel proactive.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I suspect that if you changed your oil EVERY DAY it would present no problems.

I always do my 1st oil changes at 1,000 miles. Old habits die hard.
Sponsored