First Oil Change too Early?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
They shouldn't have changed for free? Don't know why that skid makes a difference. The hole in the engine skid is big enough for two fist. They could of at least wiped down the oil.
Thats the oil that stayed on top of the skid plate and eventually ran down the back of it. You made your vehicle more difficult to work on and still expect things to be done perfectly and at no cost. Ain’t happening. That kid doesn’t get paid enough.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thats the oil that stayed on top of the skid plate and eventually ran down the back of it. You made your vehicle more difficult to work on and still expect things to be done perfectly and at no cost. Ain’t happening. That kid doesn’t get paid enough.
I’ve got the same exact skid. I’ve had a dealership Jeep Wave oil change and they didn’t leave a drop on there. It’s not more difficult. The tech is just lazy and trifling. I bet his dealership does the exact same thing mine does- text and call after the service is performed begging for an exemplary customer service survey. If he gives them a lousy score and it impacts their money they’ll feel it’s unfair. They should have refused service if it’s “difficult to work on” (it’s not) or done the work correctly.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I’ve got the same exact skid. I’ve had a dealership Jeep Wave oil change and they didn’t leave a drop on there. It’s not more difficult. The tech is just lazy and trifling. I bet his dealership does the exact same thing mine does- text and call after the service is performed begging for an exemplary customer service survey. If he gives them a lousy score and it impacts their money they’ll feel it’s unfair. They should have refused service if it’s “difficult to work on” (it’s not) or done the work correctly.
It is more difficult, it involves extra steps that are typically unnecessary. This a big problem with the Jeep “community”, modifying vehicles beyond recognition and expecting to be treated the same, or even better, than any other customer.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It is more difficult, it involves extra steps that are typically unnecessary. This a big problem with the Jeep “community”, modifying vehicles beyond recognition and expecting to be treated the same, or even better, than any other customer.
What extra steps are required in your mind?

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
Jus my $0.02, but you can never change your oil TOO early. You may change it earlier than required. You may change it earlier than needed. But you never do harm to your Jeep by having too clean/new oil in it.

Sponsored

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
There are no special additives that exist in factory oil. It is the same oil that you can buy off the shelf. You will receive as many different answers as there are oil brands and types.

I dump the factory oil at 1K, again at 3K and once more at 5K and settle into a 5K OCI after that. Plenty of wear metals in those first few oil changes and since a UOA has a range limit on the metal sizes it detects, I would rather have it out of the engine.
My schedule exactly!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
What extra steps are required in your mind?
It’s not “in my mind”, it happens all the time in my shop. You clearly have an interference installed under the oil pan that has a potential to (and clearly did) collect oil on top of it when the drain plug is removed. This is not normally the case. So now, you want some low wage tech to work around your modification, and then do the job exactly to your liking, at zero cost.

Unreasonable.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Anyone how installs a skid like that needs to also put in a drain valve like the Fumoto or the type of your choice so a hose can be attached and this will be a non-issue.
Gregj

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Anyone how installs a skid like that needs to also put in a drain valve like the Fumoto or the type of your choice so a hose can be attached and this will be a non-issue.
Gregj
As has been explained to me, this will require the technician to take an extra 45-53 seconds and adds 2 steps (connecting the hose and removing the hose) to his work or in performing an oil change. It’s not acceptable to expect them to exercise this level of care and skill because he makes low wages. If he can’t be bothered to take 22 seconds to wipe oil off of a skid, how can he be expected to take almost a minute and take 2 steps that are not explicitly spelled out in detail in the manual to use this contraption? You expect technicians to work on modified vehicles? Nope. Not trained or paid enough for that.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Bottom line is you have made modifications to your Jeep that make changing the oil harder and messy and are now complaining because it’s messy. When the Tech pulls the drain plug he now has scalding hot oil splashing all over your skid plate, himself and the floor. I don’t blame him for leaving you the mess to clean up.

Gregj

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
As has been explained to me, this will require the technician to take an extra 45-53 seconds and adds 2 steps (connecting the hose and removing the hose) to his work or in performing an oil change. It’s not acceptable to expect them to exercise this level of care and skill because he makes low wages. If he can’t be bothered to take 22 seconds to wipe oil off of a skid, how can he be expected to take almost a minute and take 2 steps that are not explicitly spelled out in detail in the manual to use this contraption? You expect technicians to work on modified vehicles? Nope. Not trained or paid enough for that.
Provide them with the hose and I’m sure they would be more than happy to use it. It’s clear that this hypothetical isn’t what happened though.

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
Perhaps your right. I am a perfectionist.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’ve changed the oil with this skid on. I didn’t use a Fumoto. I didn’t make a sloppy mess. I didn’t have to do anything at all any differently than before I had the skid. I wiped the drips off of the oil pan with a shop towel before I had a skid, because that’s normal care for an oil change. Now I wipe the drips off of the oil pan and the skid. That’s normal care. It doesn’t require any extra effort or significant time other than to wipe off two surfaces instead of one. It’s literally a few seconds. It’s not harder.

Does anyone else WHO ACTUALLY HAS THE ARTEC SKID find the oil change to be more difficult or time consuming than before you had it on? I’m seriously asking. Maybe I’m just more skilled than the average guy removing and replacing an oil pan plug? Who has it on their Jeep and feels that it makes oil changes more time consuming or difficult?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Perhaps your right. I am a perfectionist.
I bet you’re the kind of monster that orders a burger with mayonnaise instead of mustard and expects the minimum wage burger jockey to get your order right! Did you pay extra for that extra work and special request? Why do you expect your food order to be correct if you’re making him work extra hard? Why do you think you’re worthy of special accommodation? You’re a problem customer!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I've always gone by the fact that the vehicle leaves the factory with whatever type of oil and/or break in additive added that they wanted in it for the first oil change interval.

And it gets drained out at 5000 miles and then whenever the computer says 20% remaining or so onward.
Sponsored