Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I've never driven one but am surprised a 392 would feel slow. I have noticed from the few 392 drivers near me 1. don't wave and 2. don't use a blinker.
Apparently, they are too busy waving Broncos goodbye

😫

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I've never driven one but am surprised a 392 would feel slow. I have noticed from the few 392 drivers near me 1. don't wave and 2. don't use a blinker.
At over 6k lb and only 470 hp, it's not going to be that fast. Plus it's shaped like a brick. Sure if you're accustomed to driving the 3.6 in a Wrangler, or 200 hp sedans, it'll probably feel quick(er).

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Grand Cherokee SRTs are just as heavy as a Wrangler 392.

My guess is the key variable holding back acceleration on a 392 are the 35-inch tires. It takes a tremendous amount of torque to start turning those tires.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
First, took out my stop watch. Didnt meet the under 5 seconds from a stop just by pressing on the gas. 2nd,the theatrics we see online about getting thrown back into your seat is complete BS. Not the thrill they claim.
No shade on you @BEACHED WHALE - I would likely do the same thing, but this is why I always custom order. Once it touchs the lot it can get aggressive treatment on testdrives. Sometimes (usually?) without warming up the oil at all.

Sponsored

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
I did like the OP a few months ago (except for the price - the ones the dealer had were well over the MSRP of a new one) and it's not for me either. I definitely see the appeal and I hope they keep it going. However, it's a novelty/exotic vehicle and I never do well with those. I'm constantly worrying about "using" it and hurting it's value. If I were to buy it, I would do so as a collector but I make a lousy collector.

NOIDEAWIAM

First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22JLU 392 XR, 21 Charger Hellcat Redeye
The XR makes a huge difference. My last jeep was a JKUR manual with 5.13's and 37's. The 392 is definitely MUCH more fun. Once you do all the fun mods (lift, gears, 37's, protection and winch) the 3.6 is a dog in comparison. As it was mentioned above, a ballerina. A large, athletic ballerina, much like a NFL defensive lineman. It throws heads back and makes heads turn. If you couldn't get it to 60 in under 5, 3 things may have happened......you didn't do it correct, the timer you were using was not used properly or you didn't have a footprint gas pedal.....because it is a HEMI!!!

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Grand Cherokee SRTs are just as heavy as a Wrangler 392.

My guess is the key variable holding back acceleration on a 392 are the 35-inch tires. It takes a tremendous amount of torque to start turning those tires.
and SRTs are AWD which definitely helps with the acceleration.

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
and SRTs are AWD which definitely helps with the acceleration.
I don't have a clue what is truth but my mind thinks they both have a different transmission too.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
The 392 Wrangler uses a Torque reserve system. If you aren't using this on the launch, then I can see a 5+ second 0-60.

TQ reserve basically allows the intake to be full of air ready to be used while disabling some cylinders. This is done by turning off traction control, holding the brake, and then hitting the gas.

There's a couple videos on this. I'm sure you can google it if you want to know more. The poor experience sounds like driver error. Not the fault of the OP, but you've got to drive it right before complaining it's not performing to your expectation.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
So a slightly used beautiful 392 @ a great price. I figure why not. Took my new JLUR 2.0 over to the dealer got an almost sticker trade in and took the 392 out for a spin. Not for me. First, took out my stop watch. Didnt meet the under 5 seconds from a stop just by pressing on the gas. 2nd,the theatrics we see online about getting thrown back into your seat is complete BS. Not the thrill they claim. 3rd, its VERY HEAVY with a deep brake and lots of play in steering. Would I buy it? Yes but not nearly what they are asking. The hemi even feels old compard to the 2.0. I leave with saying that the 2.0 technology is awesome (much more so than the 3.6) and Im really looking for to the inline 6 twin turbo
My dealer called me a few weeks ago and said they had just received a 392 XR in stock. The person that ordered it had backed out of the deal, and it had just showed up a few minutes before his phone call. They were still unloading it from the truck and it had zero miles on it. I went down to the dealer to look at it, and after a test drive I traded my 2021 JLUR 2.0T for the 2022 JLUR XR 392. My experience is the exact opposite of yours. I wasn't all that happy with the turbo lag of the 2.0T, or the needing to down shift and rev on mountain passes. I did notice a slight increase in weight with the 392, but that perception only seemed to last for the first few miles. After that it actually felt better than most other Jeeps in regards to handling, but had much better power, especially down low, right off idle. I can't keep the grin off my face while driving it.
Sponsored